Breastfeeding With Inverted Nipples...

LiLi2

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first and something I've been concerned about since day 1 is breastfeeding. I want to succeed with it so badly. Unfortunately, I have pretty severely inverted nipples and I worry that I won't be able to feed with them. I just have this feeling that they "don't work".

Do any of you ladies have experience BFing with inverted nipples? If so, were you successful or not?

I will likely use breast shells, but I'm unsure about when to begin wearing them. I've read conflicting information - some sources say during pregnancy to help draw out the nipple and some say not until baby is born. Advice?

Probably not much help but my left nipple is slightly inverted and I usually just give it a quick pinch before she latches on. From her feeding though it pretty much stay out now but nothing like my right one!!
You say yours are severely inverted, do the stay out for awhile when you squeeze them? I never had to use shells and was advised to avoid them unless really necessary

They come out when I get really cold or if suction is applied, however they are pretty small and short, so there's not much to grab onto.

Probably not much help but my left nipple is slightly inverted and I usually just give it a quick pinch before she latches on. From her feeding though it pretty much stay out now but nothing like my right one!!
You say yours are severely inverted, do the stay out for awhile when you squeeze them? I never had to use shells and was advised to avoid them unless really necessary

That's shields that aren't recommended, not shells. Shells are harmless and worn between feeds so don't interfere with feeding. The avent niplette says don't wear during pregnancy but other shells say they are fine worn from 32 weeks, the Medela nipple former shells are those I have heard recommended the most. You can also pump slightly using a manual pump just before feeds just enough to draw the nipple out. Unless you have the type of inverted nipples that never stick out at any point, which you have said you don't have, it shouldn't make BF too difficult xx

I also have inverted nipples and was able to bf for 3 weeks, mostly through pumping only, and ended up stopping. DS also had acid reflux so it was a disaster all around. I didn't try any shields or shells or anything, so that may help?

Now expecting #2, I've noticed they're "out" more often without being provoked. Planning to try again and hoping my body cooperates this time!

Either way, I just wanted to say just not to tear yourself up over this. I had pretty strong postpartum depression and I think a lot of it was due to guilt about my body "not working" and not being able to breast feed. Two years later I see that's all crap. My body does work, just differently, and I was still able to have an amazing bond with my son while bottle feeding! Just something to think about!

My right nipple was severely inverted and would not come out even with stimulation. LO was in the NICU for 6 days and our LC helped us figure out a nipple shield. We used it until around 3 weeks when DD decided she could get a good enough latch without a super pointy nipple. Now at 11 months my nipple is decidedly no longer inverted and we have zero problems. I never used the shells so I don't know what to say on that front. However, I agree that pumping beforehand can help draw some of the nipple out for ease of access for baby.

I have severely inverted nipples on both sides. Nurses threw a shield at me pretty much right away after delivery and we nursed fine with that. Contacted a lactation consultant to help us and she determined not only were my nipples severely inverted (wouldn't really stay out even with suction or pumping) but I had fibrocystic breast tissue that made it hard to LO to latch. To top it off, LO had pretty bad tongue and lip ties. Long story short, we got the ties corrected, retrained his tongue, and with A LOT of patience, we were able to breastfeed without the shield. That happened at about 6 weeks. The inverted nipples haven't been an issue, I just have to grab the breast tissue and guide it into his mouth. Sometimes he can latch without it. My nipples come out now and stay out longer than they used to which helps. I highly recommend contacting a lactation consultant so they can help you out.

Like others said, using a pump to draw the nipple out is a good option.

Good luck!

Good thread - I have very small flat nipples, and struggled to breastfeed my first, I saw a lactation consultant, who told me I would only be able to breast feed by usng shields which I just didn't get on with.

I am now due #2 and really want to try again. Looking back I remember being able to get #1 to bf by kind of pinching my nipple and putting it in her mouth - but I was so concerned that all the classes I had been to told you to let the baby latch on themselvesm that I was convinced this was wrong and gave up - silly now, but made sense to me at the time!

Good luck x

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I have high hopes that I'll be able to breastfeed with minimal trouble, but I know it's what I want so I'm willing to just about whatever it takes.

I have been leaking colostrum for a couple weeks now and my nipples tend to come out a bit more than they used to when I get cold, so hoping those are good signs! I will be speaking with my OB about it and getting in contact with a lactation consultant for sure. I want to make sure I've got my bases covered before the baby comes and it becomes more tempting to give up.

My left nipple is flat, slightly inverted, but will be normal when stimulated. DD1 couldn't latch on it so I had to use a nipple shield (and hated it!!!). DD2 can latch without any problem. It took some time, but so worth it!! So it really depends on the baby.

I too have small and fairly flat nipples... i have been preparing myself for a battle! Although, i have been watching a lot of how to videos and it seems that the areola should go into the babies mouth as well with the nipple far back in the mouth. If this is the case, i think it will make it easier for us "flatties" since they are not actually sucking on the nipples themselves. What do you think?

Found this online and thought it could be useful. :)

https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/flat-or-inverted-nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"