• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breastmilk expiring...Any ideas?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
I have about 300+ oz of frozen breastmilk in my freezer that my son will not touch. It's going to start expiring in August. There are no banks around here to donate it. Is there anything else that can be done with it rather than dumping?

I ended up dumping so much. It's heartbreaking. I did donate but you have to have blood taken and done it all their way so they won't just accept any. You could try using it to cook with for your son. I made up mash and things.

Where are you located? You could donate to a local mother without going through a regular milk bank.

See if there's an Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies Facebook group in your area. I'm not sure if they're US only, but if you find one you can probably find a mama to donate to privately.

What about in porridge, mashed potatoes, cheeses sauce? I've seen people on here in the past who have made breast milk yoghurt/ice cream. Or have you tried drinking it yourself?

What about in porridge, mashed potatoes, cheeses sauce? I've seen people on here in the past who have made breast milk yoghurt/ice cream. Or have you tried drinking it yourself?

I might sound odd to some but I was amazed how yummy it was when I tried it to know the difference in bad expressed and good expressed as it doesn't always smell. I think ots odd human adults are like "what? breastmilk?" but they will happily drink milk that was expressed from a cow udder. I haven't had any since as I storing a stash for baby the few days I do express, but if I face this issue I think of be making myself and babygirl some homemade breastmilk mac and cheese haha.

I don't think I'd just up and drink it, but I tasted it out of curiosity. For some reason, breastmilk really creeps my husband out, so I like to threaten to put it in his coffee whenever I get a chance ;) I don't get it either. He does unspeakably gross things in his job as a vet tech, but milk designed for humans is gross?

I'd keep at least some of it for when your son is ill (especially if it involves vomiting and diarrhoea). I sometimes give some to my three year old who has not been breastfed for over a year.

Yes, donation! Some mamas are so desperate for milk they won't care if it's a bit beyond the year mark. Also, there are soaps and lotions you can make that are great for baby's skin :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->