Bridesmaid to tall for dress :(

mysteriouseye

Pregnant with No.3
Reaction score
I am getting married in October and I have 8 bridesmaids and 2 flower girls. I have had to buy the dresses of ebay (Bridesmaids) because of budget! I am having a problem where too of my bridesmaids are very very tall, one of the bridesmaids (fiance's sister) the dress comes just below the ankles and I personally think she looks but shes being a bit of a diva and telling me she feels stupid and looks stupid. We are not selling her dress and buying another one because this is the length of all the alfred angelo dresses so pretty much she has no option but to just wear the dress or not be a bridesmaids.. we were thinking of adding lace fabric to the end of the dress but I am not sure how we are going to do this, also mil thinks its unfair if SIL is the only one with lace at the end of the dress and said I should get all the bridesmaid to get this but it will end up costing a fortune which will defeat the purpose of getting the dresses second hand in the first place :) has anyone got any other ideas? xx

I think if it looks nice then you're within your rights to say wear it or don't be a bridesmaid. Or add a bit but only to her dress. Or you could tell her she could buy herself a new dress but that you don't have the funds to buy another nor change everyone's dress! Xx

I agree with mummy. Tell her to suck it up and deal with it, buy her own dress, or find a seat in the audience.

Would it be an option to shorten the dress further to midi length? Obviously it won't exactly match the other dresses but it will still have the same neckline etc.

I don't think it's fair to make her wear a dress that clearly doesn't fit her. I would be really self conscious if I had to do that. I'd either tell her that she needs to get it altered or just have her wear a different dress.

I wouldn't have expected my bridesmaids to wear something they weren't happy with. I know it's your day but that doesn't mean other people don't matter. I was a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding and she chose short dresses for the bridesmaids but got me the long version for modesty (religious) reasons. I don't think it looked strange or anything, it was still the same basic dress but longer, so I like a previous poster's idea of shortening it. Maybe some of your other bridesmaids would prefer a shorter dress too, if she doesn't want to be the only one? You could ask anybody who wants their dress altering to cover the cost of a dressmaker, it probably wouldn't cost much. Our dry cleaner does it for very reasonable prices!

i think if you're given a free dress, you dont have any right to complain about it. its not indecently short or immodest, she just doesnt want to look stupid, which i'm sure people wouldnt even notice the slight discrepancy in length if you didnt mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->