Bright red blood, feeling nervous :( (update pg 3: lost baby <\3)

sil

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Just coming for some reassurance. I am currently 5w5d pregnant, and this morning I woke up with some bleeding while wiping. I continued to bleed every time I wiped, and there was slight spotting in my underwear but not heavy. I washed my hands well to self examine my cervix which is somewhat low and soft, and when I finished checking, my entire finger was bright red from the blood. (sorry if TMI)

I am not experiencing any pain, however. No cramping.
I'm not sure what to think.

I called the OBGYN and my doctor is booked all day, but they said they will get me in with a nurse at 3:15 (in a little over an hour). Fingers are crossed. I'm not sure what they will do when I go in, but hopefully some kind of blood draw or ultrasound or something will be conducted to see what is going on?

Does anyone have experience with this? Do you usually get an ultrasound if only 5w5d, or do they just check blood? I live in the US if that makes a difference

I had an early scan at 5w4d as I was spotting, id imagine they will give you an ultrasound and internal scan, dont give up hope, it may well be fine. And lack of cramps is a good sign.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I spotted brown and that was at around 5 weeks 5 days as well. They did bloodwork to make sure levels where fine but that was it. However the spotting stopped within 30 hours. My place will not scan you until you are over 6 weeks (I live in Wisconsin), so it's hard to say if they wills can for you or not. If they do be prepared to only see the fetal pole and yolk sac. You may or may not see the heartbeat since the heart just starts to beat in week 5.

I'm not sure what your nurse will want to do really. This is because at 5+5, it's possible to see a heartbeat but it's more likely they won't see anything but the gestational sac and maybe a fetal pole. The hb is just starting at the 6th week and growth is amazingly fast at this point so if they did an ultrasound today and saw basically nothing, you could go back in two days from now and see a perfectly normal baby and a flickering heartbeat. My dr won't do a scan until I'm at least 6 weeks for that reason and he prefers to wait until 7 weeks so we can be sure. However, they may do bloodwork to check your hCG levels and order a repeat lab in 2 days to make sure those levels are rising properly. And I can tell you from personal experience that red bleeding at this stage could go either way. I've had bleeding that's been the start of the end and I've had bleeding that was explainable (a bleed in the uterus that resolved on it's own) but still went to term and I've also had unexplained bleeding but still made it to term. It's hard to know for sure at this point but hopefully your appt brings good news.

Thanks ladies for the advice and encouragement. I'm in the waiting room now waiting for an ultrasound posting from my phone. Very nervous. Wish me luck!

Update:
An ultrasound measured at just over 5 wks (I'm 5w4d-5w5d by my calculation) and they saw a sack. They drew blood again I get results tomorrow or Wednesday. Repeat ultrasound on 29th so it's just a waiting game. I'm still bleeding red with no pain

Update:
An ultrasound measured at just over 5 wks (I'm 5w4d-5w5d by my calculation) and they saw a sack. They drew blood again I get results tomorrow or Wednesday. Repeat ultrasound on 29th so it's just a waiting game. I'm still bleeding red with no pain

did the doctor tell you why you were bleeding?

i think its extremely common to spot in week 5. i did, twice. both times i knew what caused it. but i did not spot pink or brown or red. it was tan colored and was in with my cm, which was in abundance as usual. one time it lasted all day. the other time it lasted for just a few minutes if any. red isnt always bad but alot of it could mean something is going on.

my niece who was 16 at the time had heavy bleeding similar to a period for the first four months of her pregnancy. i think because of this, she didnt know she was pregnant until later but she did have a healthy beautiful baby girl.

Update:

did the doctor tell you why you were bleeding?

No, they were not able to tell me why :(

Last night the spotting slowed down, but this morning when I went to the bathroom some fresh red blood poured into the toilet. I still have zero pain and cramps so I don't know what is going on.

Hi ladies, sorry to post again. I'm just feeling nervous and need a place to vent I guess. I'm really anxious about getting my blood work back. I went to the restroom again, and bright red blood poured into the toilet again but I still don't have pain or cramps. I just don't understand what is going on. I want to either feel secure in my pregnancy, or to start the grief process and try again. Being in limbo is the hardest possible part. I texted DH and told him how badly I want THIS baby. I don't want to try again. I don't want more ovulation tests and periods and waiting games. I just want this baby to stick. I still have my fingers crossed since we don't have the bloodwork or answers yet and I am not passing any clots or tissues, but I just have a bad gut feeling about this.

I am so sorry you're having to go through this. :( Please don't give up hope...I know your gut is telling you something isn't right but just hold onto hope.

It's so unfair. :hugs:

So sorry you are going through this. With my last pregnancy I went to toilet and had red bleeding I actually thought it was my period coming but when I woke up there was no further bleeding not sure what the bleeding was but my son is now a healthy happy 16 month old! I am now 7 months pregnant and again had red bleeding which turned out to be a small subchorionic hematoma which was gone by my 12 weeks scan, red blood can be scary but sometimes it doesn't mean the worst. I really hope everything turns out ok for you too.

Thanks for your words of encouragement ladies. I took another FRER today. I'm not sure why as I know it can't tell me much and would still be positive even if I was losing the baby. How does this look for 5w5d? Is it too light?
https://i58.tinypic.com/ehzpy0.jpg

I'll update the thread again once I get my blood work back. Thank you again for all of the love and support and stories I am receiving. It makes this all a little bit easier.

I think that test looks great! The test line is darker than the control. :hugs:

The test line is darker than the control and that is GREAT!! At 5 wks with my 1st pregnancy I bled bright red blood, it poured out of me like a fountain (tmi, sorry lol) but the whole toilet bowl was filled with blood. Eventually, the cramps started, I passed clots (multiple), I could barely walk I was in so much pain. I have no idea what happened or why I was bleeding or the reasoning for the cramps and clots etc but that pregnancy gave me my crazy two year old I have now!!! We have a theory that it was a twin since it mimicked a miscarriage but none of my early ultrasounds indicated that so it's a mystery. I thought I for sure lost my baby but we ended up seeing the heartbeat a week later. I don't mean to give false hope but I do want you to know it DOES happen and it could be okay :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->