bringing maternity leave forward?

jenwren83

Reaction score
Hiya,

Basically I have been off sick for the past 2 months and am signed off until 13th November with depression. I can start my maternity on the 6th of December but am currently down to start it 3rd January.

I am still on full pay and would be until I start my planned maternity leave. I dont think I would cope with going back as I work in a stressful school (I am a teacher), they promise extra support and then dont give (as I have experience twice in the past) and can be very funny if you cant work to your full potential (they have bullied 2 workmates to the point of quitting as they were ill due to pregancy related illness).

I have 2 options:

1) Ask my doc to sign me off for another 2 weeks and then start my maternity a month early (December 6th) - I wouldnt feel so guilty about being off sick then (yes I know I shouldnt but I cant help it and i do!!!)

2) Ask my doc to sign me off for another month or so until December 17th (when xmas hols start, whic I would still get full pay during) and start maternity as planned.

Tempted to bring it forward as then can stop worrying about having such a long period off sick and enjoy the run up to xmas. Money is just money at the end of the day, my mental health is more important.

Anyways any advice or opinion would be much appreciated,

Thanks, Jen x x x

(Also posted in 2nd Tri Forum)

Ooh, it's a difficult one! It sounds like you don't owe them anything - they don't sound very caring at all :( I think I'd be tempted to go with the option that causes you the least stress so if that means going on maternity leave early, then I think that's what I would do.

I've been off myself in the past on longterm sick leave caused by stress and depression and you do somehow get made to feel guilty about it even though it is a real illness.

:hugs:

Thanks Katy, that is exactly how I feel - guilty! Have discussed it with OH and am going to bring it forward I think - my health is more important than money at the end of the day x

Seriously I think that you should be taking option 2. I am a teacher too and I know all too well the pressure not to be off. However, when you are legitimately sick (as you are) you are entitled to sick leave. The implications of bringing your leave forward will be that your mat leave at the other end will be less- while that may seem okay at the moment, it may be harder to accept once your LO is here.

Look after yourself and I hope that you come to a decision which makes you feel less stressed.

I hate my job, and am going to start my maternity leave earlier than I originally planned so I can have a little bit of time to chill out. xx

I had a similar situation last year wont bore you with the detaisl but after returning form mat leave with my son they tried to bully me into leaving i had just got pregnnt again when i returned to work and they had me in tears everday so the doctor signed me off for the WHOLE pregnancy i did feel guilty but if they arnt prepared to be fair with you then you owe them nothing. Take care of yourself and the baby thats all thats important

i was in a similar position and the company i worked for tried to make me start mat leave early until i copied them a page from employment law about this.
stay on the sick and take the mat leave to spend with baby!!!!!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->