• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bubs closes jaw after latching - any tips??

k4th

Reaction score
Luke is only 1 day old but already following in his sisters footsteps.

I gave up feeding dd at 6 weeks old. She latched like a pro & then a few sucks in - closed her jaw & sucked in her bottom lip to give a very firm nipple latch with no breast. After 6 weeks I was sore, bleeding & quit. M

Luke feeds exactly the same way. Huge open jaw, scoops in nipple & breast & then closes his jaw & sucks in his bottom lip to feed.

Any tips? Ideas? I will try anything! 24 hours in & my nipples already hurt!!

Thanks x

I'm following bc my newest (born Tuesday) is doing the same exact thing. I've just started using a nipple shield yesterday but it's very hit or miss.

Usually babies bite down for one of two reasons:
1)Fast let down in Mum - they back off and clamp down to stop the milk coming too fast.
2)Their tongue is restricted so they can't use it to squeeze the breast so use their jaw instead (tongue tie).

The lower lip turning in is probably just a side effect of not having enough breast in their mouth.

Do you think it might be either of these?

Jason does this. We are still figuring this out too but my midwife showed me a trick she called a flip latch? If you gently roll down their bottom lip with your areola and flip the nipple into the roof of their mouth as the very last thing it can help with both issues as it kinda forces them to take the nipple into the correct place. Not an easy skill to master and a bit nuanced with every hold but the couple of times we managed it and he hasn't then forced the nipple back forward in his mouth (mommy is having some problems keeping him held right) it seemed to work! :coffee:

Noon_child - thanks!! I'm still making colostrum so I don't think it can be a fast let down (yet!). It could be his tongue so I'll take a look when he's next awake :thumbup:

Pgfairy - how are you doing hun? I came home today & am exhausted!! Thanks for the tip! Will def try that next feed!!

I tried a nipple shield today but it just made the pain worse??! :shrug:

Pgfairy - how are you doing hun? I came home today & am exhausted!! Thanks for the tip! Will def try that next feed!!

I tried a nipple shield today but it just made the pain worse??! :shrug:

We are doing OK thanks, The first day home was really hard on us too, its gotten better every day though! The day my milk came in I had a total meltdown at the breastfeeding support lady about this exact issue :blush:(She was super unhelpful in my defense) We have been asking as many people for help as we can!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->