Budgeting!

Jary

Mummy to Alice 10/05/13
Reaction score
Any tips on budgeting?

So far we have decided an all inclusive wedding package would be cheaper than individually sorting stuff out. Less stress too. Problem is there's a few venues we like with really cheap packages (off season) but one will have something another doesn't but that other one will have something else that appeals...if you get what I mean lol. It's very frustrating.

There's a wedding dress outlet near us with second hand/ex display dresses so that'll help.

But then there's the cake, the marriage fees (OMG!), disco, flowers and other decorations (we'd like an Alice in wonderland inspired look if possible)

I'm getting so excited because we just went to OHs brothers wedding and its started me off lol. We'd love to be married next year but with lack of money it probably won't be until at least 2015.

Part of me wants to say 'screw it, lets go to a registry office!' But we'd probably regret not having a nicer ceremony.

What to do! Anyone else in a similar pickle?

Tips on budget? Okay, calculate your budget, then take a third of that away if it's small (under £5k) and a quarter of it away if it's large. You WILL need the extra money but it'll be on something totally unexpected that you forgot about or that cost more than you expected or that you found and just absolutely must have! And if you don't need the money, then it's great to have as savings or for a treat or holiday or next Christmas. I wish I'd done this. It's no fun scrimping and saving for every little thing.

I think the key is deciding three different things...

1- what you can't get married without; eg registrar fee's, a venue, something to wear. that should be the basic budget- what can we afford after paying for those essential things?

2- things that are sometimes a 'priority' but can be worked around to suit a budget- so flowers-florist or fake?, whether you want a cake, some sort of food for your guests, a photographer (remember, it's memories you'll actually get back from your day!) etc

3- things that you would have at your wedding in an ideal world if you could afford them- eg a toastmaster, a band, canapés etc etc.

that's what I did and it's worked quite well. x

Well said Donna! Also, remember that you don't need things just because they're the norm. Loads of people spend £300 on a cake, £500 on a DJ etc without considering other options, nor whether they actually want or need them!

Thanks guys! We are trying to find the cheapest ways of doing things but its like when you find something good, another price tag pops up for something else. We don't mind having a cheap cake, I think my OH can get a cheap rate on a photographer. The rings can be plain (I can't wear diamonds for work anywho).

I need to think of getting a suit for him and his best man, dress for maid of honor. I know we don't need a disco but it would be nice so suppose we can shop around. I was going to have two page boys but suppose their dad could get them any smart suits.

Where there's a will there's a way!

I just mean you can think outside of the box, like an iPod and speakers is free if you borrow them, or you could do what we're doing and have a record player and records, or even look locally for a small band. Not that there's anything wrong with a DJ, it was just an example really!

It's defo an idea. Djs don't always come cheap. Shame our friend still isn't in a band, we could have asked them!

We have gone for a package deal and then are pulling in favours and lots of DIY for the rest. We have a friend who is a dj, a friend who is a pastry chef doing the cake, im decorating it myself. Im making invites, table plan, name places, centre pieces and even my own bouquet. An amazing DIY website is martha stewart. Im making my bouquets out of crepe paperwhich will cost me about £4 for all 3!

Bouquets sound pretty awesome! I may ask a friend for her help when it comes to place names and favours etc. she did lots for her wedding and it all looked incredible. I'm not very artistic lol

for a cake I suggest looking at m&s online,they have beautiful wedding cakes at a fraction of the cost of a bakery and they taste lovely.

for a cake I suggest looking at m&s online,they have beautiful wedding cakes at a fraction of the cost of a bakery and they taste lovely.

Thanks! Never thought of M&S...figured they'd be pretty expensive. We aren't fussed on having a huge cake, I've seen some fantastic ones but like you said the prices are monumental! Reckon I should make cakes for a living. I can do tasty cakes just need to work on the decoration! Lol.

Any tips on budgeting?

So far we have decided an all inclusive wedding package would be cheaper than individually sorting stuff out. Less stress too. Problem is there's a few venues we like with really cheap packages (off season) but one will have something another doesn't but that other one will have something else that appeals...if you get what I mean lol. It's very frustrating.

There's a wedding dress outlet near us with second hand/ex display dresses so that'll help.

But then there's the cake, the marriage fees (OMG!), disco, flowers and other decorations (we'd like an Alice in wonderland inspired look if possible)

I'm getting so excited because we just went to OHs brothers wedding and its started me off lol. We'd love to be married next year but with lack of money it probably won't be until at least 2015.

Part of me wants to say 'screw it, lets go to a registry office!' But we'd probably regret not having a nicer ceremony.

What to do! Anyone else in a similar pickle?

Hi Jary! I see you are from Dorset - I really recommend Parley Manor - they have a super wedding package deal (we used them!) and it's perfect, the venue is beautiful! It's the 'mid-week' offer, check it out. :thumbup:

I didn't budget on flowers, but we only had 3 bouquets, and 10 button holes. I recommend having a beautiful bouquet with no scrimping! It's so exciting when the bouquets arrive in all their glory! The decorating lady at Parley manor (Julie Nicholls) decorated our marquee with flowers for a super cheap price and she used the same combination as our florist. She can do anything to your specification so you just have to mention Alice in Wonderland at your appointment.

I promise I don't get commission! I just was so pleased that our day went without a hitch, the catering team are amazing that come with the deal too.

Hi teacup! Baby doing well? :)

And yeah we did look at parley manor as we live very close to it but not sure if they just had portaloos? We didn't really want that and for the same price the Old Vicarage in Christchurch we could also have a honeymoon suite and use of the manor.

The gardens at parley do look beautiful tho. They do have that 'Alice in wonderland' feel :)

When did you get married?

Hi teacup! Baby doing well? :)

And yeah we did look at parley manor as we live very close to it but not sure if they just had portaloos? We didn't really want that and for the same price the Old Vicarage in Christchurch we could also have a honeymoon suite and use of the manor.

The gardens at parley do look beautiful tho. They do have that 'Alice in wonderland' feel :)

When did you get married?

Noooooo! They have lovely loos with carpets! There is one outside loo (which is just like an inside loo) and also some nice loos in the marquee. You should meet with them and have a look around, it's gorgeous!

We got married September 2012. Luckily we had a really sunny blue-sky day despite the fact that it was the wettest summer ever!

Yeah baby is doing okay hopefully! It's only 5 weeks 5 days, so still wont relax until we can hear the heart beat at 9 weeks! I'm okay symptom wise at the moment, nothing major yet!

Christchurch Old Vicarage is lovely so either of those venues would be perfect.

Good luck with the wedding planning! Try not to get too obsessed with details, I started to go slightly crazy a couple of weeks before worrying I didn't have the right hairstyle etc. None of that matters on the day, and you remember the real reason you're there. :thumbup: Also don't rush on choosing a dress! Take your time and be sure it's the one you want before making that non-refundable deposit! That's my main advice. Also when the actual day comes try to stop and absorb it all in and enjoy it, it goes so quick it's crazy! xxx

See that's why we thought an inclusive package would've worth doing because it has everything and most of the stress is taken away from you. I'd worry about my hair too but not so much as the make up which is why I'm more than happy to do my own (bare minerals pack works wonders).

I'm looking forward to searching for a dress :) the outlet place in Bournemouth should be interesting! I did find a US site that does beautiful dresses for really good prices but I decided I need to try a dress on before I can see if it looks good. They do do custom sizes so if I try on a dress that looks very similar to one online then I may get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->