bumgenius help needed!

kelly342000

Reaction score
i am keen to use washable nappies and am currently trying bumgenius but need some help!
i put one on seren with the newborn insert and a paper liner and even though it was only on her a an hr or 2 when i checked her she was very very wet, and the paper liner was all stuck to her and the poo had gone everywhere, was not contained by the liner!
i only used the newborn insert, should i be using the normal insert?
can i use a fleecy liner instead of a paper one to keep her skin dry, or will this not work as the bumgenius is already fleece lined?
she is breast fed so still has very runny poos and has had nappy rash very bad with disposables so was hoping that washables would be better for her skin.
can anyone who uses bumgenius help!!

Either use a fleece liner or no liner at all (personally I dont use liners in pocket nappies, I found they work better without) rather than the disposable ones.
The BG inserts are only microfibre so dont hold as much as other materials. I had to use BOTH inserts in the BG V3 I had and my LO isnt a very "wet" baby. I would perhaps think about getting a hemp or bamboo insert/booster to put in under the microfibre, this will drastically increase the amount of pee it will happily hold. You will notice the wet in the insert more than you would a disposable (disposables just get heavy you cant really'feel' the wet) but the fleece, ie the bit next to her skin should feel dry to the touch.

Yea i'd use either the larger one on it's own and try it or use both inserts. I find it's a bit better with the folded bit to the front aswell.

Many paper liners are pretty useless against newborn/breast milk poo, I gave up on them and gave up expecting any liner to keep the poo off the rest of the nappy. It gets better, though. With BumGenius, I have had leak problems when I've added a fleece liner, somehow it's wicked the wet up the front. So I don't bother now. I also never had success using just the newborn insert, I used just the big microfibre for ages and now use a bamboo booster as well.

The only reason I use a paper liners now is if I need to put cream on because of nappy rash, because it clogs up the cloth and hampers absorption.

thanks everyone! have put in the larger insert and will see how this one goes, but it looks ridiculously huge on her. are the bamboo inserts less bulky? if so will try a tots bots pocket with a bamboo insert and see how that one suits!

Bamboo can be less bulky depending on which insert it is. A microfibre cloth could be the solution as they're quite trim, we use them as boosters for overnight and do the job perfectly.

I use the newborn insert and a bamboo one underneath - works really well for us. Absorbency without bulk.

thanks everyone!
have tried the normal insert now and it did work a lot better, but think if i have to use the larger insert already will need to add lots of extra absorbency as she grows, and as bumgenuis are already one of the most expensive don't really want to spend extra buying additional inserts. have a little lamb pocket nappy that already comes with a bamboo insert and waiting on the tots bots pocket with bamboo to compare. the little lamb bamboo insert is a lot less bulky than the bumgenius microfibre insert, so be interesting to see how it compares re absorbency,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->