Burp questions from a FTM

JessesGirl29

Reaction score
My little boy has a very unsettled period from about 11pm up to 1, 2 or 3am depending on our luck. To me, it seems to be gas due to the way he'll fall asleep and then tense up and start to cry, bring up his knees. Between pains his eyes are shut and he yawns and you can tell he's tired.

My questions: my breastmilk seems to come out fast now.....how often in a feed should I be burping him? Should I try sitting him up for a burp every time he unlatches to take a few deeper breaths? I usually do 2-3 times.

Also, I try to catch him near the end of the feed to burp when I see him getting drowsy so that when he falls asleep I ca transfer hi m right in to the bassinet. Am I shooting my own foot or is that okay?

He's hard to burp so it's frustrating but I want to cut down the evening hours of pain and crying.

Thanks in advance: :flower:

At that age, I used to wind LO mid feed when she switched sides and then at the end. If it woke her at the end, I'd just put her back on the boob for a few minutes until she fell back asleep and then leave her. It took a LOT of effort to wind her - a couple of minutes half way through and up to 10 minutes at the end. A quick pat and a rub wouldn't come close! It wasn't like that for long though; after the first month she was much better able to bring up (or down!) her own wind. A vibrating bouncer helped too as it wasn't quite flat and literally seemed to wobble the wind out, and of course she could sleep through that better than being patted.

We're going through the same thing... what the heck is causing my baby to get so gassy????? Also I find it impossible to burp her myself no matter how much I try, my husband OTOH seems to be able to do it within a minute or two. It's very frustrating and it's becoming difficult as she lies awake grunting or crying half the night trying to pass gas... I'm about ready to 100% switch her over to formula at this point - she has no problems passing gas on that (although it is a lot and stinky!) as compared to my breastmilk which seems to cause endless hours of gassy pain. :(

I'm so sick of burping! It's super tough and frustrating for us both. Ugh God I wish I could feed without burping.
Last night I tried burping him waaaay more often and I got no less than seven burps over the night feed before we lay him down and had a much much better night.
Today.....I can't get any burps out no matter what I try. I'm beyond frustrated and hate see baby in pain. :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->