Buying Baby Clothes.

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you buy newborn size clothes (up to 10lbs) and how many just buy 0-3 months?

I have plenty of Newborn sized sleepsuits and vests but nothing else because I've been buying in mostly 0-3 months. Does 0-3 month stuff look really huge on a newborn? I know it must depend on what size baby you have but since lots of babies are over 8lb they can't fit in to newborn stuff for long??

i bet a 0-3 months would look huuuge on a new born. I saw a two day old baby last week - i forgot how tiny they are!!!!!!

Sleep suits are all you need or the first week or two though arent they?

i've got some of both but 0-3 months seems to be a safer bet cause knowing my luck I'll have a huge baby that won't fit into newborn stuff! and even if your baby is small you can still use the 0-3 clothes

I was told

6 sleepsuits
6 bodysuits
2 pairs scratchmitts
6 pairs socks
2 pairs booties
2 hats
1 outdoors jacket

for summer babies, but Ive bought a few more because our washing machine is rubbish. Ive also got cardigans and jumpers from relatives that have knitted, and my mam has bought a couple of outfits. I dont think you need an awful lot, but dont hold me to that! lol

xxx

:blush: I haven't bought any clothes, can't find any that aren't boy/girl that I like!

:blush: I haven't bought any clothes, can't find any that aren't boy/girl that I like!

I'm really fussy too. I know exactly what I like!! My mum has knitted a sleeveless, long waistcoat so that baby can look like the guy out of the matrix?!?!? I know it's the thought that counts but who wants their baby to look like the guy from the matrix? :rofl: She's knitted him a beret because he's going to be half french.... :dohh:

I'm hoping baby will cooperate next week so we can start buying clothes :rofl:. Still don't plan on buying many tbh, I know we will end up receiving a lot from family and friends.

I've usually found that babies take the size up from their age.
So newborns in 0-3m and by 6m most are in 9m clothes.

You can never have too many onsies/babygros though.
Don't worry about pretty outfits and stuff because baby will get too big for them before you get to use them.

And soft cotton cot sheets, because you just know one sheet will be too cool and as soon as you add a blankie it's going to be too warm, so extra cotton sheets are right useful.

I don't buy any newborn stuff (but that's me). I just buy the 3-6 in the season we're in... Like now I have 3-6 month stuff in summer clothing, and I'm starting to buy just a few things in 6-9 month in cold weather clothing.

My first child was a growing juggernaut and so I hesitate to buy quantities of anything for that reason. Chances are this baby will grow speedily too :).

Having a few things on hand for each size is prudent, but I wouldn't get carried away with newborn stuff.

:hugs:

I have only bought newborn stuff and a few tiny baby sleepsuits as i don't know what i'm having.

But newborns dont stay that small for long so i wouldn't buy many outfits in newborn. Sleepsuits you'll use a lot of so you can never have too many lol

xxx

I have 2-3 newborn sleep suits and some body suits. Everything else is for 0-3 months or 3-6, 6-9... !

I juat got sleep suits, some in newborn but mostly 0-3mths.
Its not easy not knowing how big baby is, and having absolutly no previous experience...

im big and so id my OH so im betting the 0-3month option and playing it safe!

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick to the amount of clothes that I have then. I have about 9 or 10 newborn sleesuits and about the same if not more in 0-3 months but I don't have anything else other than vests. I figured outfits seemed a little uncomfortable for a baby who spends most of it's time sleeping so I'll wait for that sort of thing till he's bigger.

I'll probably buy one little newborn outfit, cause I'll not be able to resist it, they are sooooo cute. I remember buying one newborn dress for Rachel and we've still got it, one of her teddy's wears it.

I am not planning on buying much for a newborn either. Most of the stuff I have is 3-6.

I have 3 newborn things--a onside and two sleepers. Thats all I am getting. And I haven't even taken the tags off those. Big babies run in my family, so I am hesitant to taken anything besides 0-3 months. I do have TONS of 0-3 month clothes though. Like over 20 onsies, 15+ sleepers, and then some of everything else you could think of (including little jeans and little overalls :D). I really think I have too many things; but OH says 'we will use them all' and therefore doesn't want to swap anything for bigger sizes.
My mom told me I only wore 0-3 month clothes until I was ALMOST 2 months, then I went up to 6 month clothes. :shock:

Didn't buy any newborn for my 1st s mw told me to expect a big baby 9lb plus only bought 0-3. He ws born @ 36 weeks and weighed 5lb 14oz.

Bought a few bits for DD and was only in newborn for about 6 weeks.

Bought a couple of extra bits for 2nd DD and she was in newborn until nearly 3 months. She be a year old soon and she's only just into 9-12 she's quite skinny.

I learned a long time ago that buying the next size up is always safer. Yes, sometimes they seem a bit big on baby but it's amazing how fast they grow into them. I found by buying a bit bigger the baby was able to wear the clothing a bit longer.

I actually did this with my babies until they went to preschool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->