• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buying Frozen Meat??

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
I normally buy fresh meat but it costs so much money and hubby insists on having meat for dinner i have been thinking of buying already frozen meat. Do you buy frozen meat? If so where from and does it taste as good as fresh? I bought some frozen mince the other week but it wasn't any cheaper than buying it fresh. (Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong supermarkets!)

I tend to buy things like the 3 for £10 and freeze it, or meat once it has been reduced. I bought ready frozen chicken breasts once and we couldn't eat them, they were like rubber and filled with water made me feel physically sick. It was a random name I can't remember what shop they were from, I'm sure there are better brands but it kinda put me off tbh.

I don't like it tbh. It just doesn't taste that nice. Like pp said, try and buy things on offer in bulk and freeze it

My hubby also insists on meat with every meal (must be a man thing) so I buy from the butchers, They have 'family' packs and I get plenty of meat to last the month for a reasonable price. (I freeze it and take out what we want on the morning.)

I buy the 3 for 10 meats but I do buy frozen chicken breast from tesco and honestly cant tell the difference

I buy frozen chicken breast. It's definitely not as good as fresh, but it will suffice if you are trying to make money. I find that it isn't great for grilling, but if you are making something like chicken tenders, shredding it, or putting it in casseroles, it is just fine.

I buy frozen chicken breasts, great for stir fries, stews, pasta bakes etc. I much prefer a fresh one if it's for grilling or baking, but we're saving like mad now so shopping has to cost less!
I'll buy frozen mince and sausages too, pork chops etc I tend to get fresh.

I buy frozen meat and the trick is what you cook with it. Chicken is good for things like curries, casseroles etc but I wouldn't just use it as breast for salad. Stewing beef is good made into a twice cooked pie or a slow cooked casserole. Frozen fish is usually pretty good for most things. I always defrost things before I cook them so it's the same as working with fresh. The only thing I've really struggled with frozen is sausages even if I freeze them myself from fresh they just aren't the same.

Try looking in Iceland, Aldi or the frozen section of Sainsburys and stick to grade A meat if you can. They often have good deals on and with frozen you can stock up when something's on offer and you don't waste anything.

I tend to buy fresh meat but with mince i get the tesco value u get a decent amount for about 2.50 I think x

I do! Farmfoods is excellent for frozen meat, you get 3 packs for £10 and there can be upwards of 10 odd pieces of meat. I highly rate their Pork and Gammon steaks.

https://www.farmfoods.co.uk/

We buy frozen chicken from tescos or Iceland , we like it and is a lot cheaper. We buy frozen mince too, sausages fresh. That's about the only meats we eat lol x

We tend to buy the 3 for £10 as well and I freeze what we dont use but I have bought the 3 for £10 at farm foods chicken and gammon and they were fine-need to go back and get some more.

I also often buy frozen fish and use it to make fish pie and thats fine too.

xxx

Have you tried going to an actual butcher. They can be cheaper for things like chicken breasts, mince, bacon etc x

I get mince but didn't know you could buy frozen chicken. I just buy meat in the offers and whole chickens from the chiller and freeze them. Or like someone else said, sometimes it can be cheaper buying from the butcher, depends where you live. I used to live near a good butcher and he gave big cuts for cheaper than the supermarket but everywhere i've lived since has had butchers that cost more or give you smaller pieces...i also got put off after a documentary about butchers.

Have you tried going to an actual butcher. They can be cheaper for things like chicken breasts, mince, bacon etc x

We live in a town that only has 1 butcher and it costs a fortune. I would love to buy from them as I think supporting local business is a must but we just can't afford to. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->