Buying/making baby stuff and not even pregnant

Broody85

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I was just wondering if any of you lovely WTTers ever buy or make baby stuff for your future children. I have recently started knitting and so far I have made 1 pink teddy, 1 blue teddy and a monkey. I just started to make a white cardigan for a newborn girl today....is this normal :dohh:
I have also started to seriously consider buying sleep suits but so far i have resisted the urge...I need help :haha:

lol i havent bought or made anything, but i'm tempted lol i keep looking at triple buggies :haha:

I have many times put down baby things and made myself not but, the only thing i did buy were two lovely baby journals, one pink, one blue, they were just too lovely and the shop was going to shut down that day. X

I have! We have a wee box with baby stuff. It's mostly books so far but also a little dress (Next sale :haha:) and a pair of booties. I personally think it's normal to want to prepare for baby and gives you a few things you won't need to get when the time comes. So why not?

I wont buy anything just incase I have trouble concieving with my problems.

xxx

I dont think Id bother buying anything until I was at least past the 12 week stage. Just so Id know that everything was ok with the baby. As I have about 3 years + to wait Id worry Id jinx falling pregnant if I brought a load of baby stuff before I fell.

I have won a few things for babies and have kept them in a sealed box up my loft, along with some fabulous baby items I found in the Asda Baby Sale last month (newborn bottles and microwave steriliser).

I haven't made anything yet, although I have started recording classic cartoon and kids films off TV onto disc ... :blush:

i've resisted the urge so far, which has been hard as one friend has now had her second and another is coming up tp 20 wks pregnant, so going shopping with them has left me exposed to all the cute outfits! well i'll just have to satisfy myself buying my friend a present when once she finds out the gender.

like a couple of others have said, i don't really want to buy anything before i'm pregnant because until it happens you just don't know and don't want to jinx it

I have a car seat that I bought for my friends child to use, and I also have a baby changing unit that a friend sold me cheap, they are both in the shed at the moment though. And apart from writing everything down we will need when the time comes I have resisted the urge to buy anything else. But do like to have a look hee hee

I have a shoe box with little things that come free with baby magazines (I do buy the odd baby magazine now and again) and might as well keep the wipe-cases or whatever comes with it because they're free! And I've bought a couple little British baby things that I won't be able to get in Canada when we move (me-to-you baby on board sign, a bib from Scotland, etc). But they're nothing big and things that I could always give to pregnant friends/family if I wanted to.

I think once we get pregnant I'll start knitting a blanket or something (I'm sure it'll take 9 months to finish! LOL!!)

I don't know if any of you watch eastenders (I don't myself at the moment). Well some months ago you might remember the scene of Ronnie when she got a big box from under her bed full of baby things. In a high pitch demented tone she starts describing everything to a horrified boyfriend (can't remember his name). She then was not pregnant or very likely to be so. That is what I don't want for myself. I don't want an obsession, I don't want a living in the future. But I personally don't believe in jinxing. We all think, well, it depends how far you take it. As I said above, I have bought two books with the excuse I wouldn't be able to buy them again as the shop was closing down. However, I have been horrified when I have witnessed women that either not pregnant or 2 weeks pregnant go and buy all the furniture for the room. Its not to do with being right or wrong, its just taking care of keeping your mind and emotions healthy. If you do find the urge, do go with moderation. And keep present. (in our present moment, as much as we might wish otherwise, the baby is not here). Take care all :hugs:

I think all of the above comments ar very intesting. I have not purchased anything (WWT 12/10). I am thinking of writing a list of things I'm going to need, how much has every put to one side for this kind of thing, cot, pram etc...

Thanks for all your replys ladies :D

I know what some of you mean about jinxing things but my theory is that even if i cant have children of my own i would still like to adopt or something. If not i could then give my things away to friends or family who have children.

I have only really started to knit because I am off work atm and it keeps me occupied and baby stuff is easier to make whilst im learning as their smaller (look at me making excuses for myself haha). I agree tho I wouldnt go crazy and buy any big items. By the time baby comes along you would have probs changed your mind and end up buying new stuff. Also I can imagine it to be so fun buying stuff when your pregnant x

Having said this I kinda already have my cot and crib. They were the ones that me, my bro and sis had when we were babies....their still in the loft and they will be lush once they have been tidied up :)

saw this thread and had to reply im ttc but i know the feeling when we was wtt although i still havent brought anything just because you never know you might not end up having babies of your own and i cant bear having things around the house like that when not pregnant i know its somethiing to work towards but i think it would just make me a bit depressed? i do however know what pram i want and furniture and stuff and i will admit i do have a list of things we will need :)

I already started buying things and making plans to make things. The making things part I'm waiting on simply so that I can have the gender before I start but I have it all planned out. Either way, I believe I'll be a mom and a baby is going to wear and have the items whether I get pregnant or adopt so I just go for it. It also makes me just a bit more hopeful and excited and gives me something to look forward to.

I haven't bought anything but I could understand people that would. I see things sometimes and am very tempted... but I tell myself it will be all the more fun when I do actually get to buy things and just to wait it out. I don't want to buy things yet, I think other people might think I am crazy and it seems silly to buy things when I am not pregnant yet. BUT, even though I haven't bought anything I have been getting 'ready' in other aspects. I got a shirt from the mum of an ex that I never wore but I saved it as it would make a nice maternity shirt, and it's still new... I do like it so why throw it out! Right? My mom was going through old baby stuff herself a year ago and wanted to throw a bunch out. So I saved a few items I think I may use. I also got a piece of family furniture that was out of use that I am now using as a dresser but that will in the future become a piece of baby-furniture.

It's fun to kind of make little preparations like that. :)

yeah, I also have some stuff up in the loft which my mam was going to throw away but we kept for future children. We have books that we used to enjoy and are still in good condition, toy cars and I know their is a box up there somewhere with a few toys in, but all i can remember being in there is a big noahs ark which was my brothers....im so tempted right now to go and hunt them out hehe

I'm always tempted.. but resist the urge. I just have too long to go before I buy these things and they are going to take up too much space in my bedroom until then. When the time is closer, then yes maybe I would, but just not now. :hugs:

i've seen things on sale and thought should i buy that etc.. but i resist lol. i think if i bought the babies mags i keep the free stuff but i dont them, have thought about it tho, i can understand why ppl buy the little things as ur in a way savin money. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->