Buying nappies in advance?

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
Matt and I had thought at the weekend about starting to buy nappies now whilst we're both working... we thought if we bought like 1 pack a week or every couple of weeks, we'd have a good stock by the time junior arrives and we wouldn't miss the money as much.

However, after I spoke to MIL, she said we should just wait until the baby arrives, because some babies like certain nappies and we don't know what size he's going to be either.

The sizes on the new baby nappies range from like 5lbs to 15lbs or something, and Im fairly certain Ill have a baby within that range, so to me, the size isn't an issue.

However, if some babies don't like certain nappies then we'll have spent a fortune on buying things that we wont use. Is that true? Im not really sure whether to believe her or not. I think it would be a big help to us to buy in advance, (because we're absolutely useless at saving up) but I dont want to waste money in the process!

I've been thinking of getting stocked up on nappies for the same reasons as you. All i know is its best to get decent make nappies i.e. pampers or Huggies as cheap ones leak etc.

Yeah, we wanted to get pampers coz we've heard good reports all round but they are quite expensive, which was why we wanted to start now really :)

xxx

I was told not to stock up on size 1 newborn and I took the advice. Wish I hadn't though I'd have been stocked up & they would have been used! I got a stock up of size 2 though as well :D

Also failing the need of them just pop back into Boots & exchange them if unopened!

Grab the deals when they are on when you can is what I say on both nappies & sensitive wipes :D I use pampers I did buy huggies also which are being unused and in her wardrobe found them useless!

I stocked up on wipes tesco were doing 6 packs of pampers sensitive wipes for £5. Stocked up on a few packs of pampers number 1s and got through them but i know some people like to wait to see which nappies they prefer.

xx

Could you maybe put away the money for a couple of packs of nappies every week or so.

I had real problems with huggies with DS they leaked everywhere.
Iliked Boots own for him when he was little, but didn't like for DD used Morrisons own without problems.

Now use Tesco own even from newborn and they're brill, I find just as good as "branded " nappies.

Ijust bought a couple of packs then bought as needed. Get better value for mooney with Tesco own too :)

Much cheaper Caroline?

Tesco website has been impossible since last night Im fuming!

We've got quite a few packs of diapers now... Size 1 and 2. We have a couple different brands, Pampers and Huggies, and I guess we will have to see what she prefers when she is here. I didn't know that babies preferred one diaper over another... We've also begun stocking up on wipes, again Pampers and Huggies.

OMG... my MIL has atleast 1500 diapers at her house, in DH's old bedroom, stocked up. And wipes... For when LO comes to visit... She is only about 15 mins away, so the baby will see her often, but it seems like she thinks the baby is gonna live with her, not us! She got a crib and a car seat too. :dohh:

Much cheaper Caroline?

Tesco website has been impossible since last night Im fuming!

6.97 for 64 size 3 nappies.

Huggies 5.87 for 32 / 8.98 for 70

Pampers 11.00 + for 64

Does Boots or anyone do a giftcard? I've seen other mums in the states say that they were going to get gift cards and then put money on them every week, and that card would be used for the nappies/wipes as and when needed. Saves the problem if nappy doesn't work with LO.

Also I've heard the Saver stores does good own brand nappies or sells Pampers/etc for cheap.

I thought of that but I think it's better to wait and test different nappies to see whats best for you. Once you have a good idea, stock up.

I've bought a few packs of nappies in different brands so I have quite a lot now and can try them all to see which are best.

We've got quite a few packs of diapers now... Size 1 and 2. We have a couple different brands, Pampers and Huggies, and I guess we will have to see what she prefers when she is here. I didn't know that babies preferred one diaper over another... We've also begun stocking up on wipes, again Pampers and Huggies.

OMG... my MIL has atleast 1500 diapers at her house, in DH's old bedroom, stocked up. And wipes... For when LO comes to visit... She is only about 15 mins away, so the baby will see her often, but it seems like she thinks the baby is gonna live with her, not us! She got a crib and a car seat too. :dohh:

LOL That is cute and funny at the same time. Bless her heart!

Hey, at least she is prepared. My hubby's mom, loved the babies, but could care less about babysitting. Always was telling me "You need to get out more". Yeah, I would have if she had babysat. LOL

You all have a great idea. Think I will start stocking up on them as well. Was thinking about cloth diapers, but, geesh, don't have the time.

I swear by Huggies and Pampers. The cheap ones never did the trick!

Thanks everyone :)

Matt pointed out last night though that as I suffer quite badly from ecxema (sp?) the baby might be a bit funny with some nappies maybe. I dont really know but it sounds sensible. I think we might buy a few different packs when they're on offer and see which ones are best when baby arrives :)

Thanks xxx

I agree with him Linzi, Bethanie has sensitive skin/eczema and the Huggies seemed to make her sore and dry. I changed back to Pampers, and within a day or two it had cleared up.

We too stocked up on loads of Huggies, Johnsons and Pampers wipes and a load of Johnsons products - they all made her sore, bar the Huggies wipes.

It's just a case of trial and error, you will soon know whats best for your bubadoo.

i got pampers

2 size 1
2 size 2
2 size 3

I am going to get a few more packs as well of each , he will hopefully get use out of them x

This will probably sound daft, I haven't really looked at nappies yet but how do you know what to get size wise???

xx

My mum keeps telling me that tesco's own brand newborn nappies are just as good, if not better than pampers and huggies.. I wasnt to convinced so she brought me a pack and they seem exactly the same as pampers newborn..

Think it was something like 1.65 for a pack of 24.. When you go through as many nappies as babies do, I think I might stick with the Tesco ones..

Although I might take a few pampers into hospital so the midwives dont turn their noses up !! lol

This will probably sound daft, I haven't really looked at nappies yet but how do you know what to get size wise???

xx
You go by their weight, you will know roughly what they are by taking them to baby clinic or weighing them yourself. They're usually, for example: 4-18 lbs, or similar.

Yeh Boots do a gift card. U can keep topping it up. I always end up with a thousand of them as xmas prezzies 4rm relatives every year lol. I think thats a great idea 2 put money on it 4 nappies n stuff,

Im defo going to do that.

And with Boots if u join there parenting club u get a free changing bag with ur 1st purchase of pampers so it's worth joining. And at Tescos when u join there baby club u get a free basket full of baby goodies on ur first purchase of huggies. Im joining just for them free gifts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->