Buying new or second hand?

All new but a few used items on Ebay. As everyone says, Ebay can be quite addicting! :rofl: The only things I wouldn't want to buy used personally would be a car seat and perhaps a crib because alot of cribs end up recalled. There is nothing wrong with buying used though!! Truly, our babies won't know the difference.

we are getting cot, moses basket, rocking crib etc from oh's brother. they're about 4years old from his neice but they will be in good condition and top of the range so happy with that. anything we dont get from family will be new though.

With my last child, my surprise baby, I bought a lot second hand. I just didn't find the need to buy new all over again when most stuff will be outgrown in x amount of months time.

I will be doing some of both. There are certain things I will buy new because I just like them. I plan on buying a dresser that can be used with a pad as a changing table early on, because I know the LO will need a dresser as they grow. As far as that goes, I would like to buy something nice. I think the second hand stuff will be more of the things they will go through very quickly, or grow out of, I should say. No sense in spending a ton of money on something that barely gets used, IMO.
I agree with Cleckner on the crib and car seat. The car seats have so many changing regulations and they have to use them for so long, it just makes sense to buy a new one.

Most stuff we are getting will be 2nd or 3rd hand. I don't see the point forking out lots of money on things that may only be used for a very short time and due to this a lot of sendon hand stuff is still in really good condition!
I got the pushchair new as it was more than half price and similar to prices on ebay, but cot bit for it was off ebay, cosy toes off ebay, car seat and base borrowed from my friend as well as a baby carrier, cot sheets and a moses basket and stand if I want it (and anything else she wants to offer!). I fully expect to use lots of 2nd hand clothes from various sources as well.
Do plan to get some re-usable nappies new though.

All new! My third and final baby is getting new just like first and second babies had, also I had nothing as it's been five years since I last gave birth!

Plus I'm very particular and have to enjoy what I'm using on my beloved!

Nothing wrong with seconds, but I am a great bargain hunter!

Ive bought cotbed,dresser,pram/car seat , bottle starter set etc all new.

Got bedding online but it had never been opened/used. Got moses masket/ rocking stand on ebay for £21.00 and its exactly the white waffle one i wanted and was near to pick up.Lovely condition and only used for 2 weeks. Something like that i personalyl found worth gettign second hand as they not always used for long and i didnt want to spend too much on one from a shop to hardly be used.

Not sure if ill get anythign else though - think most the things i dont have are things id prefer to get new rather then old. xx

Don't get me started.
Me and DH always buy stuff from charity shops, but when it comes to the baby he won't let me!!
I wanted to buy crib/pram etc on ebay and he's really not happy. My logic is you can get almost the same things for loads less. I would only bid on things classed as VGC or excellent condition but he's not happy.
Part of this is because we're being given money by parents to buy these things and he thinks we shouldn't spend their money on 2nd hand stuff, but I think we could get twice as much stuff for the same money!!!grrrrrr.:hissy:
I'm trying my best to convince him about the pram because its sooo much cheaper.

I love finding a good deal too so I am trying to get as much 2nd hand as possible. So far I've gotten:

Used:
Swing
Bouncer seat (already washed and disinfected both)
breast pump from a friend
bassinet from aunt
boppy pillow (cleans in the washing machine)
some clothes
Baby Bjorn carrier
am looking for a used glider/rocker chair
and will probably get a used crib but not mattress

New:
will get new organic crib, bassinet, and play yard mattresses
stroller
carseat (although I might borrow on from a friend if I don't get one for a shower)
bedding (I made some of the bedding already)

I figure if I buy enough 2nd hand baby gear I can justify spending $400 on new organic mattresses which are the most important thing to me.

We are *trying* to do everything 2nd hand - we may not have a second child for a while, and I'd hate to buy everything new only for 3 months of use or so! I hate that so much kids stuff these days is plastic - SO bad for the environment :( I am trying to do my best, but still, when I walk in the stores, I covet.... ;)

a

I'll be buying new, apart from my pram that a family memeber is giving me ( only used twice as she didn't like it as she has a bad back ) and my Sister inlaw will give me a few bits and bobs.

I'm monitoring eBay but not buying much yet (but then I'm a few weeks behind you!)

eBay so far ....

Moses basket & stand (brilliant local find)
Some clothes

Am willing to get most stuff secondhand, but will be supplementing with brand new mattresses for both the basket and eventual cot, plus new linen. Parents have offered to buy me a complete travel system (including carseat), they only live round the corner from the huge Kiddicare warehouse!

And various family members are knitting/crocheting like mad :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->