C section at 35 weeks

AnonymousCAT

1DS and Expecting#2
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have vasa previa and am going to be admitted to hospital at 30 weeks with a c section at 35 weeks. I am having steroid injections at 29 weeks. Just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with having a baby born at 35 weeks? Did they have any issues? Where they in the nicu or nursery for long? When were you allowed to take them home? How did breast feeding go? Thank you so much for your stories!

Hi
My lo was born at 34+5 she was 5lb 1oz.
She had no issues whatsoever except she was slow to feed.
She stayed in hospital for 2 weeks as a feeder grower in the special care baby unit.
She ate like trooper after that.
She's now 21 months met all her milestones on time and is an excellent talker.
I didn't bf so can't help you on that front.
Best of luck hun x

My son was born at 35 weeks, emergency induction because of pre eclempsia. I was told he would have to stay in nicu for 5 weeks until his due date, but took him home after 3 weeks. He had pneumonia at birth so had to have antibiotics but other than that no problems. He was jaundiced but I later found out he had a blood disorder he had inherited from his biological father, so I think that contributed to his size (4 pounds 11 ounces) and the yellow color of his skin. I pumped and fed breastmilk from a bottle the whole time he was in nicu, plus continued exclusively pumping for a couple months after, had to stop because I got a job that wasn't very pumping friendly (would have had to pump in the bathroom). All in all he was perfect, came out breathing on his own, no need for oxygen or anything else. Good luck to you!

I had my son at 36 weeks due to eclampsia ( I had 5 + seizures, didn't know I even had pre e).
He was 4 lbs 1 oz.. Small but no complications

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 17
Birth plus now at 7 months. He never had any breathing problems or feeding problems. Never was hooked up to any machines once he was home and he has been off of the preemie scale since he was 3 months.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5
Birth plus now at 7 months. He never had any breathing problems or feeding problems. Never was hooked up to any machines once he was home and he has been off of the preemie scale since he was 3 months.

Thank you so much! Glad to hear that all was well and that there were no real issues. What a charming young man you have there! Looks like a load of fun and a handful

I had my son at 36 weeks due to eclampsia ( I had 5 + seizures, didn't know I even had pre e).

Sounds a little scary with all those seizures, but I'm glad both of you are alright! How long did he need to stay in the hospital before you could take him home?

My son was born at 35 weeks, emergency induction because of pre eclempsia. I was told he would have to stay in nicu for 5 weeks until his due date, but took him home after 3 weeks. He had pneumonia at birth so had to have antibiotics but other than that no problems. He was jaundiced but I later found out he had a blood disorder he had inherited from his biological father, so I think that contributed to his size (4 pounds 11 ounces) and the yellow color of his skin. I pumped and fed breastmilk from a bottle the whole time he was in nicu, plus continued exclusively pumping for a couple months after, had to stop because I got a job that wasn't very pumping friendly (would have had to pump in the bathroom). All in all he was perfect, came out breathing on his own, no need for oxygen or anything else. Good luck to you!

Thank you for your story. It sounds like these little guys and gals do pretty well after a little hospital stay. I'm just so anxious about when I will get to bring my baby home. I am going to be admitted to hospital at 30 weeks which is about 45 min from where I live. Then will need to stay around the hospital for as long as needed before our baby will come home. Seems like I am going to be there forever. Just want a healthy baby and want to come home.

Hi
My lo was born at 34+5 she was 5lb 1oz.
She had no issues whatsoever except she was slow to feed.
She stayed in hospital for 2 weeks as a feeder grower in the special care baby unit.
She ate like trooper after that.
She's now 21 months met all her milestones on time and is an excellent talker.
I didn't bf so can't help you on that front.
Best of luck hun x

Thank you for sharing. Gives me hope that all will be well!

Sounds a little scary with all those seizures, but I'm glad both of you are alright! How long did he need to stay in the hospital before you could take him home?

It was scary but my condition was a lot worse than his. He was on the nicu for 8 days simply because he kept falling asleep before he could eat the amount they required.

I had my second son at exactly 35 weeks VIA c-section due to him being premature and breech. I didn't have steroid shots with him. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks establishing feeds (he was a lazy feeder), and was on low flow oxygen for 2 months (he needed a little help in the beginning, and it took a while to wean him off of it). He was fed my breast milk from a bottle during his NICU stay but started exclusively breastfeeding the day he came home (no issues whatsoever!). :hugs:

He's nearly 3 now and doing great, no issues whatsoever (along with his 28 weeker brother!). :thumbsup: He met all of his milestones on time, and could talk your ear off. :lol:

I had my little girl at 35+4 due to pre-eclampsia. I was seeing my OB the Monday, had steroid injection at lunch Monday and again Tuesday and had C section lunch time Wednesday. She was fine, just small at 4lb 6oz. No troubles with breathing, maintaining body temp or feeding (both latching on breast and taking bottle). We were only in an extra 2 days than most ladies stay in at my hospital and was only in special care nursery for a day for monitoring - no tubes, no humidicrib, nothing. She was even back up to her birth weight the day we went home (1 week after birth).

I had my second son at exactly 35 weeks VIA c-section due to him being premature and breech. I didn't have steroid shots with him. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks establishing feeds (he was a lazy feeder), and was on low flow oxygen for 2 months (he needed a little help in the beginning, and it took a while to wean him off of it). He was fed my breast milk from a bottle during his NICU stay but started exclusively breastfeeding the day he came home (no issues whatsoever!). :hugs:

He's nearly 3 now and doing great, no issues whatsoever (along with his 28 weeker brother!). :thumbsup: He met all of his milestones on time, and could talk your ear off. :lol:

That's so awesome he is doing so well! So happy to hear breast feeding was not an issue for you :)

I had my little girl at 35+4 due to pre-eclampsia. I was seeing my OB the Monday, had steroid injection at lunch Monday and again Tuesday and had C section lunch time Wednesday. She was fine, just small at 4lb 6oz. No troubles with breathing, maintaining body temp or feeding (both latching on breast and taking bottle). We were only in an extra 2 days than most ladies stay in at my hospital and was only in special care nursery for a day for monitoring - no tubes, no humidicrib, nothing. She was even back up to her birth weight the day we went home (1 week after birth).

Sounds like she was a strong one! I am hoping for a short hospital stay for lo too

Sounds like she was a strong one! I am hoping for a short hospital stay for lo too

She is! Even now her strength surprises us - think we are in for some trouble when she is older :wacko: She also had to survive defrosting as she was a frozen embryo transfer with IVF and her apgar score at 1 and 5 minutes after birth was 9! Wishing you all the best :hugs:

She is! Even now her strength surprises us - think we are in for some trouble when she is older :wacko: She also had to survive defrosting as she was a frozen embryo transfer with IVF and her apgar score at 1 and 5 minutes after birth was 9! Wishing you all the best :hugs:

It's amazing what they can do with modern medicine. What a miracle she is! Thank you!

My 7th baby was born at 35+5, weighed 5lbs 9oz and spent 8 days in scbu, learning to feed and then put on weight, he had a few breathing problems at birth but that would out down to my placenta being infected and affecting him, he was in an incubator for a few hours after birth, then could maintain his temperature and was in an open cot after that.
My 5th baby was born at 35+4, she weighed 5lbs 12oz and was home with me 24 hrs later.
My 3rd was born at 36+0, weighed 5lbs 4oz and apart from having a bit of trouble maintaining her temperature for a few hours after birth, she was fine.
My 6th was also 36+0, he weighed 6lbs 7oz and again needed a but of time under a heater to maintain his temperature and we were home 36 hrs after he was born x

My little girl was born at 35+3, she was 5lb 5oz, and the only special care she needed was for her temp and for jaundice. We weren't allowed to hold her properly other than feeding and changing for 3 days but she came home on day 3 too! She did drop to 4lb 14oz and didn't gain until she was on formula - I also wasn't allowed to breast feed properly to start because she was small and loosing weight and they worried if she fed for longer than 10 mins each side she would burn to many calories so she ended up having expressed breast milk but as I say, didn't gain until she went onto formula (my husband had an op when she was 6 days old so I was very stressed and milk supply decreased drastically)
We ended up back in hospital for a few hours when she was 2.5 weeks old because she had apnea which we were told was because she was prem and small but were told she was ok to be at home :) so that's all she's really suffered from with being prem, she has reflux which is more common in prem babies but loads of babies term get it too so it doesn't really mean anything with being prem :)
We had been told to expect to be in until due date but she defied all odds against her so I know we were really lucky.
Fingers are crossed for you and your LO xx

My little girl was born at 35+3, she was 5lb 5oz, and the only special care she needed was for her temp and for jaundice. We weren't allowed to hold her properly other than feeding and changing for 3 days but she came home on day 3 too! She did drop to 4lb 14oz and didn't gain until she was on formula - I also wasn't allowed to breast feed properly to start because she was small and loosing weight and they worried if she fed for longer than 10 mins each side she would burn to many calories so she ended up having expressed breast milk but as I say, didn't gain until she went onto formula (my husband had an op when she was 6 days old so I was very stressed and milk supply decreased drastically)
We ended up back in hospital for a few hours when she was 2.5 weeks old because she had apnea which we were told was because she was prem and small but were told she was ok to be at home :) so that's all she's really suffered from with being prem, she has reflux which is more common in prem babies but loads of babies term get it too so it doesn't really mean anything with being prem :)
We had been told to expect to be in until due date but she defied all odds against her so I know we were really lucky.
Fingers are crossed for you and your LO xx

Thank you for your story. Did you nave steroids with your dd? I have been told to expect lo to be in hospital on average to 37 weeks. Some go home earlier and others later. I really hope I can breast feed. But as long as lo is healthy I will do what ever I need to

My 7th baby was born at 35+5, weighed 5lbs 9oz and spent 8 days in scbu, learning to feed and then put on weight, he had a few breathing problems at birth but that would out down to my placenta being infected and affecting him, he was in an incubator for a few hours after birth, then could maintain his temperature and was in an open cot after that.
My 5th baby was born at 35+4, she weighed 5lbs 12oz and was home with me 24 hrs later.
My 3rd was born at 36+0, weighed 5lbs 4oz and apart from having a bit of trouble maintaining her temperature for a few hours after birth, she was fine.
My 6th was also 36+0, he weighed 6lbs 7oz and again needed a but of time under a heater to maintain his temperature and we were home 36 hrs after he was born x

Sounds like you have had a lot of experience with late term premies with very minimal problems and short stays. Did you notice any differences in your late preterm babies compared to your full term when they were home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->