C section becuase of placenta previa..anyone else?

RBurnett

Reaction score
Hey at my last scan at 23 weeks I was told my placenta was low lying and i would have another scan at 33 weeks to see if it has moved and if it hadnt then I would need a c section. I know the placenta could and probably move on its own.

I was just wondering what week they would book me in to have it if i did need one?

well mine is low lying and covering the front too so they said around 39 weeks unless it gets worse but its not in a deadly position so it depends I guess. My SIL had previa and was booked in for a section at 38 weeks. She had a scan at 33 weeks then again at 37 weeks to see if it had moved

If the placenta was just low lying on your 20 week scan it has every chance of moving.

Mine is completely covering the internal cervical os and posterior which is classed as a grade IV placenta previa and is the worst possible position, at 28 weeks my consultant took one look at scan report, said thats not moving and booked my section date for 39+1.

I still have to have a placenta scan at 36 weeks but its more for the team performing the surgery to know exactly where its positioned for my section incase it causes complications.

If yours has still not moved by 33 week scan, they will likely scan again at 36 weeks and decide on whether to go for section then, unless they decide from 33 week scan its not going to move.

Hope yours moves for you.

Thank you ladies, I know its common to move. I was just wondering if if had not moved and I needed one when it would be.

xx

I had a final scan at 39 weeks, and it had moved 1mm above the cut off point. They decided I was to have a natural birth, even though I had tokophobia and was desperate for a c-sec. Im still angry nearly 21 months later. I ended up having an emcs anyway (when 9cm dilated), probably because I was in terrified phobic denial about a natural delivery...Anyhow, in answer to your question, they will leave it as late as possible to give it a chance to move on it's own xx
PS Sorry for splurging! It wasnt my intention :)

I also had a total previa, and was scheduled for a section at 38 weeks. They also had a policy of admitting total previa patients at 36 weeks for monitoring. It doesn't sound like that's a common policy though. With me, I had a big bleed at 34ish weeks and got admitted then, 'for the duration'.

I think a section-with-previa can be a harder recovery because of the blood loss. I ended up losing a lot of blood and getting a transfusion, but mine was pretty much worst case. If you start losing a lot of blood, they could knock you out entirely as well. It doesn't happen that way for everyone, but it did for me! Hopeing if I'm sectioned again this time then it will be much more straight forward... the placenta is well out of the way this time at least :)

Most move, so fingers crossed yours gets out of the way!

Thank you im hoping that it has moved too. I really want to push baby out. I guess i will find out in a couple of weeks.

Good to know yours is not the same this time round x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->