C section, does someone need to help you care for baby once home

monte3375

Reaction score
I dont' have family in the area and my husband cannot get of work. Is it possible to be able to care for baby on your own after a c-section?

Keeping an eye on this! Something I also would like to know.

I know those who have just keep everything close it is going to be hard but at lest its ur first n u don't have others to run after right?

After my section I was in agony and on strong painkillers for weeks. I couldnt get myself out of bed for the first week so id suggest arranging help x

I could not have done it on my own, the post-op pain is no joke. It was weeks before I could get up out of a chair (and especially out of bed) without a lot of pain. Having someone there to hand you the baby makes a world of difference in the beginning for this reason.

I am not saying it will be fun or easy but you absolutely can do it. My mum came to stay for a couple of days and my husband was on paternity leave after my c-section but no one actually helped in any way. It really depends on the type of person you are too because it will hurt so it depends on how much of a 'get on with it' sort of person you are. But do try not to over do it too much and just look after you LO and forget anything else. I can tell you from experience the result is not very pleasant (think bad bruising and scar ripping open).

It's possible. If you get up and walk around as much as possible it will help with healing. Using a warming towel or heating pad will also speed up healing on the incision. You'll most likely be on medication. I was on hydrocodone.. and it made me feel really relaxed, but not like I couldn't get up and do things.

Aside from diaper changes, the baby was pretty much in bed with me the entire time, feeding or sleeping.

I would get a mini fridge if you can, so you don't have to get up and make things if you don't feel up to it. And then a diaper caddy, so you can have diapers and wipes on hand.

When i had dd i hadnt met my OH and dd's dad wanted nuffin to do with her and my mom helped as much as she cud but it was hard i slept on my settee for weeks because there was no way i could carry a baby up the stairs it hurt

I have a six year old boy that we adopted, but he should be a good helper for me.

I think it depends on the woman. All of us recover differently. I had a good recovery and was able to care for my baby on my own post-C-Section, but I had to have access to everything I needed on 1 floor, because stairs were a killer. So I slept in the living room, had the baby in a cot beside me with everything she needed easily within reach, and that is on the same level as one of our bathrooms and our kitchen.

This time around I am going to have a 1 1/2 year old running around on top of having a repeat Section and a newborn, so I am definitely having DH take time off of work and my mother is coming to help out the first week as well. The baby I will be able to lift and care for, my 27 lb wriggly toddler is going to be quite another story!!

This is what I don't get...
Once again,.. I've asked a billion times to lots and lots of women how they fared after a section... And every one I asked where I live said it was just as easy as a natural
Birth and had no issues at all when getting home... And some of those women are pretty Woosey women lol

I am assuming for this reason that the ops are done pretty differently over seas than to here in Australia coz even my doctor said recovery for 99.9% of women is a breeze and no different to a difficult forceps delivery with tearing apart from the fact you can't drive for a lil bit and can't lift anything heavy for a few weeks.

My friend just had her 4th (2 natural 2 sections) said the sections were far far better recovery wise... Her husband works in the mines and was only there 2 days pp then back to work and she coped with a 2yo a 4yo and a 8yo and the new baby totally fine.

I guess everyone's different and it has a lot to do with where u live as well

Yes, that will be tough for you with a todder, oh my goodness.

My six year old is very helpful and he can run and get me the items I need, as long as baby comes after May 29th, which is last day of school.

Who knows if I will even need a c-section...just thinking ahead in case that would happen.

Everybody recovers differently too I am sure. I am 42, so I hope this old body can handle whatever comes. LOL

Everybody recovers differently too I am sure. I am 42, so I hope this old body can handle whatever comes. LOL

If it helps, I was 37 with DD and will be 38 with this one! So us older mommas can still recover well, I am sure you will do great if you end up needing one!

If this is your only one then yes. If hubby helps out before and after work. For example leave all nappies etc on a table so you don't have to bend. Everything in easy reach. Fluid in a bottle near where your sitting. Pre cooked lunches/dinners so it takes pressure off. Internet shopping to be delivered when he's home. Think ahead and plan ahead. Rest when he is home.

If it helps, I was 37 with DD and will be 38 with this one! So us older mommas can still recover well, I am sure you will do great if you end up needing one!
I would give anything for any of those years back...LOL Actually, I have felt really good this entire pregnancy and my doc keeps telling me I am her oldest patient right now and I am doing well for old brod.

My friend just had a c-section & was signed off from the doctor in 1 week as ok to drive & Hoover.

Everyone is different.

I found the first week hard. Cane home after 36 hours but needed help herring off the sofa or out of bed. Took strong psinkillers. I'm no whimp but I took it very easy as I had my hubby off. Hoping to avoid a section this time as don't want to be dealing with a toddler climbing on me while trying to heal. It can be done I'm sure but take all the help you can get,

I say you should be fine. The pain wasn't bad at all for me it was more the drugs and pain killers that had a bad effect. I would have help on stand by just incase ( especially bending down to change diapers)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->