C section, does someone need to help you care for baby once home

It really depends on the person, I have one friend who was in a lot of pain for weeks and another who found the first day or two bad but was totally fine after that.

I think it also depends on how long you spend in hospital. C-sect stays where I live are 5 days. Having this time in hospital meant time I obviously had help with bubs. I'd say if you can get help for maybe even 8-10days from the time of the c-sect, then you will be fine. That is based on my experience. The first couple of days at home for me were the hardest and I was very grateful for help. After that though, I would have been able to make do on my own if I had to. X

All this info is good to know!!! stalking for future reference!

I have a high pain threshold and take nothing stronger than paracetamol after my sections. I felt my recoveries were fine and with this one - I will be aiming to have section on Monday, discharged Wednesday and hubby will take the following week off. My mum and dad will probably pop in & pick up kids from school for the first 2 days when home but I should able to walk to school etc the following week.
I have cooked meals to freeze for the days following discharge so that hubby comes home to his tea before he needs to bath the older kids & help with bathing the baby (lifting the basin is not easy). I just need to get my iron levels up so am not fainting all over the place!

I am 3 weeks post c-section today. The first 2/3 days are the worst but in saying that once the spinal had worn off and the catheter removed I was up doing everything for bubs and myself.

Yes it hurts going from laying to sitting and sitting to standing but you need to get up and move/ walk as much as possible as soon as possible to help promote healing otherwise you will seize up and will take a lot longer to heal.

All I had was panadol from day 2 onwards and didn't use any pain pills at all from day 4 onwards. I think it has a lot to do with your pain tolerance threshold, for me I just got on with it. After having kidney stones last year having a Caesar was almost a walk in the park!

You will be fine on your own just take it easy and just look after bub. Leave the heavy, straining housework for hubby.

It's not the easiest thing ever, but I was up and walking the next morning in hospital after my c-section at 11pm the night before. I was in hospital for 3 days thereafter, and once home was doing everything that needed doing. As others have said, make sure your partner puts the things you'll need close by and you should be fine. xx

As everyone said, if you have a C, make sure you get up and start walking right away and keep walking. It made all the difference for me. The hardest thing for me was getting up out of bed- worst pain of my life that first time I tried. I woke up to feed DS and tried to get up on my own, which was a mistake. I would say before OH leaves, have him help you get out of bed. Other than that, try to avoid stairs or lifting anything heavier that LO. Plan to do everything slowly at first. There will be some pain. If you have someone who can help a little every day, I would say get them there. But if you don't have anyone, you will be amazed by what you can do when you have to. I was in the hospital for 6 days (I had a severe allergic reaction), but within a week of leaving the hospital I was doing everything I normally would, including driving. I had a friend who had 2 kids- one natural and one c. She swore the healing after the natural was way worse (course she tore a lot), other than just getting out of bed. Either way, you can do this!

Every recovery is different, mine took longer than two other ladies I know who went the same time as me. DH had to help me out of bed, onto the toilet and into the shower. I was not expecting the kind of pain I experienced. DH was off work for 4 weeks with me (over Christmas holidays) and couldn't have done it without him.

In fact, before I left the hospital, I was asked by my nurses and doctor if I would have help at home.

You may have a better recovery experience but try to plan like you won't to be safe.

I think you'll be fine if you've no toddlers. Newborns aren't heavy. I had two sections...they were painful, but really the first two days were the worst. Newborns sleep a lot too IMO so you'll be able to rest. That said its nice to have someone around for help and emotional support.

ETA--my sections were straight forward--no infection, etc. Everyone is different, and everyone feels pain differently.

I have been wondering this too, I think I am going to have a nightmare post section :( our house is 3 levels & the bedrooms & bathroom are a kind of split level with stairs (so more like 3 & a bit floors). The kitchen, living room, bathroom & bedrooms are all on different floors, so I think I am going to have a tough time. I will have hubby with me the whole time, but I am not one of those people who will just lie there if I am not feeling well, I prefer to do things myself, so hoping that I am able to mentally get myself up & moving because I want to be able to look after our baby!

Want to add...make sure your ob will sew all of the layers. Incision is said to heal better if all layers are sewn back. Some surgeons don't.

I managed alright at home, it was just the no driving that got to me, make sure you have all the essentials in, because without driving, nipping to the shop to get milk was impossible for me! Xxx

I have been wondering this too, I think I am going to have a nightmare post section :( our house is 3 levels & the bedrooms & bathroom are a kind of split level with stairs (so more like 3 & a bit floors). The kitchen, living room, bathroom & bedrooms are all on different floors, so I think I am going to have a tough time. I will have hubby with me the whole time, but I am not one of those people who will just lie there if I am not feeling well, I prefer to do things myself, so hoping that I am able to mentally get myself up & moving because I want to be able to look after our baby!

Stairs aren't impossible. Judge go slowly and don't overdo it. You will be fine. Those first couple of days home you will probably need help from someone to go from laying down to sitting/standing. Your stomach just can't help you do that movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->