C section on manual turn HELP

C-sections are not always bad, they can be life saving but they are often overused/preventable when really they should be a last resort.
The more they are used, the less skills doctors and midwives will have for dealing with normal birth.
People will always have good and bad experiences of both, but in a normal situation c section IS risky with longer recovery compared to naturally active vaginal delivery of both cephalic and breech babies, with the risk of ECV being as low as it is I personally would rather try that first before planning a c section.
Xx

C-sections are not always bad, they can be life saving but they are often overused/preventable when really they should be a last resort.
The more they are used, the less skills doctors and midwives will have for dealing with normal birth.
People will always have good and bad experiences of both, but in a normal situation c section IS risky with longer recovery compared to naturally active vaginal delivery of both cephalic and breech babies, with the risk of ECV being as low as it is I personally would rather try that first before planning a c section.
Xx

Seriously? :wacko: more than likely this would NEVER happen. In fact, first births (unless medically necessary) are not allowed to even schedule a c-section. In my state alone, there are only about 30% of live births via c-section. That is still a low number.

My point is to NOT be scared of a c-section, especially if there is an option of it. I was sort of on the fence about an epidural but I did it. My doctor was all for finishing vaginally, but knew I had a hard labor and had hours more to go of pushing (she was not coming down, tho I was at 10cm and pushed for an hour) but ultimately gave me the choice of continuing or doing a c-section.

Just because you will do everything in your power to not have a c-section, doesn't mean someone else needs to too. That's her decision. She was open to hear experiences. If I were asking this question, I wouldn't want people commenting telling me not to have a c-section UNLESS THEY HAD A C-SECTION themselves.

30% is an absurdly high number for c-sections, and is widely acknowledged as being so. Even the American Academy of Obstetricians and Gynecologists admit that this is too high. 1 and 3 women undergoing major abdominal surgery to have children is way above the rate it should be. And it's true that the increasing reliance on birth interventions leads to a familiarity and mistrust of normal birth.

There's really no need to defend your own c-section here or to be defensive about them in general. The OP stated that she wanted to avoid a c-section but was unsure about ECVs as well, and ultimately the risks to ECVs are less, and if one can lead to a vaginal birth, the recovery time would be much better. I don't see how one needs to experience these procedures to talk about them -- if you have a male OB, chances are you listen to what he says about birth and he's certainly never experienced it!

As someone who's section was postponed several times after my waters broke with a premature breech baby, then who was forced to deliver vaginally resulting in my baby's head getting stuck... I'm all for c-sections. My girl was starved of oxygen for 28 minutes and was born with no life signs. She was resuscitated but has brain damage now.

I had delivered a 9lb 11oz and 8lb 11oz baby vaginally so there was little reason for my 5lb 6oz baby's head to become stuck other than sheer bad luck but it happened and I was given a massive episiotomy (I was cut to ribbons really) to get her out.

It's lovely that people want to do things naturally but to me it's just not worth the risk. The reason they are so keen to give sections to women with breech babies is to avoid what happened to me and my girl. That's not a bad thing and 6 weeks of recovery is nothing.

I'd say try having her manually turned. Try turning her yourself with positioning techniques on the spinning babies site. If it doesn't work, have a c-section.

Xx

Seriously? :wacko: more than likely this would NEVER happen. In fact, first births (unless medically necessary) are not allowed to even schedule a c-section. In my state alone, there are only about 30% of live births via c-section. That is still a low number.

My point is to NOT be scared of a c-section, especially if there is an option of it. I was sort of on the fence about an epidural but I did it. My doctor was all for finishing vaginally, but knew I had a hard labor and had hours more to go of pushing (she was not coming down, tho I was at 10cm and pushed for an hour) but ultimately gave me the choice of continuing or doing a c-section.

Just because you will do everything in your power to not have a c-section, doesn't mean someone else needs to too. That's her decision. She was open to hear experiences. If I were asking this question, I wouldn't want people commenting telling me not to have a c-section UNLESS THEY HAD A C-SECTION themselves.

You can't say that it would never happen, because it already has happened! If everyone (or very high percentage) of breech babies are automatically delivered by c section, then how are medical skills to allow safe vaginal birth of breech babies going to be learned by new practitioners? The skills will be lost, they already have seriously declined which perpetuates the cycle.
With c section as a whole (not just breech) between 1990 & 2008 the rate DOUBLED, yet with no change in rates of positive outcome for the baby.

I don't see why you would say this thread should only be answered by those having had a c section since it's asking about if you would have an ECV (which you haven't had and I'm booked in for next week) and a c section and we are giving our personal reasons and opinions, backed up with facts based on research and statistics.

For me ECV is lowest risk overall, then natural active breech birth (not delivery/extraction) finally c section as a last resort.

Xx

Well, after you had the EVC, you can comment on how it was I'm commenting on my experience of a c-section so that OP is aware a good experience with a c-section is possible, especially if you put your mind to it. Birthing a breech baby can be more complicated and risky (as lj2245 has expressed with in her experience). If she elects EVC and it fails, then don't be scared of a c-section.

Sooo, OP- you and I are definitely in the same boat. I will have ECV at 36 weeks if my baby has not turned. Only about 5% of pregnancies are still breech at our stage of the game!

I'm extremely leery of the "evidence" when it comes to inversion positions (laying upside-downish) and moxibustion. Much of that seems anecdotal, to me. Chiropractic has a pretty credible track record- for those whom it works. (I am seeing a chiro and have been for weeks... No luck yet)

Basically, a lot of women are breech up until around 32 weeks or so- they implement different techniques between weeks 30 and 32, then VOILA- the technique "worked." I don't hear/read much info where these techniques are wildly successful after a certain stage (32+). UNLESS, it's not a woman's first birth. Those babies can and do turn right up to and during labor. However, that is NOT common for FTM's.

Were this not my first baby- I'd probably wait until labor began naturally, have his position checked ASAP, attempt an evc if needed/possible, but go ahead and have a section from there if he remained breech.

I will attempt the ECV at 36 weeks this time because- I'm a 35y/o FTM and doubt whether he'll turn in time. I've never experienced labor before and if I labor too long breech- a section can be much riskier (baby further descended into pelvis) and a scheduled section generally has better outcomes than emergency sections.

The doctor performing my ECV is well known for his ability to do so. The risks are quite small in comparison to a breech delivery or section. I will have the procedure done at the hospital, with medication to help me relax. It's effectiveness depends on several factors- one of which is the skill of your practitioner. I feel lucky to have a doctor who knows how, not many do nowadays!

I've read stories from women who have found it very uncomfortable and from just as many who didn't find it the least bit painful.

I think it's important to mention that I'm taking natural childbirth classes and of course would love to birth naturally if possible. But, at the end of the day I'm okay with however he needs to come to me. But I will be a bit sad.

I feel your pain too! Carrying breech this late, is REALLY REALLY not pleasant!!

PS thank goodness we have c-sections for when they are needed, and capable doctors to preform them. Nuff said. :hugs:

At around 37 weeks my baby turned OUT of the birthing position to a complete breech position. Her head was nestled in my ribs! The pain was awful (I thought I was going into labor), and she was doing it all by herself! I can't imagine having someone manually turn my baby. I ended up having a scheduled c-section and there were no complications. The worst was my IV came out and my arm filled with fluid. My catheter also burst, which was gross. As far as pain--I was up walking ahead of schedule and was able to get my IV/catheter out sooner! My surgery was on a Thursday morning, and I was home by noon on Saturday.

As someone who's section was postponed several times after my waters broke with a premature breech baby, then who was forced to deliver vaginally resulting in my baby's head getting stuck... I'm all for c-sections. My girl was starved of oxygen for 28 minutes and was born with no life signs. She was resuscitated but has brain damage now.

I had delivered a 9lb 11oz and 8lb 11oz baby vaginally so there was little reason for my 5lb 6oz baby's head to become stuck other than sheer bad luck but it happened and I was given a massive episiotomy (I was cut to ribbons really) to get her out.

It's lovely that people want to do things naturally but to me it's just not worth the risk. The reason they are so keen to give sections to women with breech babies is to avoid what happened to me and my girl. That's not a bad thing and 6 weeks of recovery is nothing.

I'd say try having her manually turned. Try turning her yourself with positioning techniques on the spinning babies site. If it doesn't work, have a c-section.

I'm so sorry that everything in your reply happened to you. But thank you very much for sharing :flower:

I had a c section due to breech presentation.
I wouldn't have opted for ecv as for me I felt my lo was breech for a reason and I wasn't comfortable jeopardising that by forcibly turning her.
But that is just MY opinion.

My section went smoothly. The or team were excellent and made me feel at ease.
lo was born and she was given to my oh.
I had little pain and was off all pain meds by day 3 and feeling my normal ( albeit exhausted) self a week layer.
Not all sections lead to long recovery times.
I have to say I had an extremely positive experience.
nothing like some would lead you to believe.
While I know for some the thoughts of c section is the stuff of nightmares if your well informed and confident in your hospital then you'll do just fine.

good luck whatever you choose.

Well, after you had the EVC, you can comment on how it was I'm commenting on my experience of a c-section so that OP is aware a good experience with a c-section is possible, especially if you put your mind to it. Birthing a breech baby can be more complicated and risky (as lj2245 has expressed with in her experience). If she elects EVC and it fails, then don't be scared of a c-section.

I certainly will let everyone know with how my ecv goes as far as personal experience of the procedure if my other methods fail. I think I'm well informed enough though to offer my thoughts on ecv or section as far is what would I do and why - according to the proven rates of risk etc.
I'm sorry for lj2245's experience, it is unimaginable.
It is unfortunate that no one can predict what's going to happen, terrible things can happen in any situation, even ones deemed extremely low risk.
There will always be the exception to the general rule of thumb, of course some have years of trouble following a natural birth, others will have a lovely experience and great recovery with a c section.
I think what is important in any decisions made is that we can make an informed choice from completely unbiased sources (unfortunately in don't find doctors or the nhs to be very good at this, hence my extensive research into this subject recently).

xx

My baby was breech untill 36 weeks when she turned making me violently sick in the process she's now fully engaged and due tomorrow but if she hadn't I would have had a section. I know this is rare but my friend had the ecv her baby became distressed she had a crash section literally they had him out in 4 minutes he got tangled in his cord as they tried to turn him the cord was too short that was why he was breech
That's rare but I think if baby is breech there could be a reason they are breech if they are going to turn they will if not then the Dr should probably think why ? Before trying to turn them. My other friend had an ecv and baby turned back transverse the next morning turned out she has a heart shaped uterus which i had never heard of !!
Good luck whatever you decide hun

My baby was breech untill 36 weeks when she turned making me violently sick in the process she's now fully engaged and due tomorrow but if she hadn't I would have had a section. I know this is rare but my friend had the ecv her baby became distressed she had a crash section literally they had him out in 4 minutes he got tangled in his cord as they tried to turn him the cord was too short that was why he was breech
That's rare but I think if baby is breech there could be a reason they are breech if they are going to turnr they will if not then the Dr should probably think why ? Before trying to turn them. My other friend had an ecv and baby turned back transverse the next morning turned out she has a heart shaped uterus which i had never heard of !!
Good luck whatever you decide hun

Glad your baby turned! Sorry about your two friends. I'm wondering why that happened since both of those issues should be detectable by ultrasound, and both would be considered criteria that should have made them non-candidates for ecv? I was told in the past that I have a septate uterus, but it hasn't been detected since. I was planning on having the doctor make POSITIVELY sure that's not the case, before attempting the spin (if I still need it fxd!).

Either way, where I live the use ultrasound guidance and have criteria for who can have ecv which eliminates about 50% of women from even having it done. Maybe that's just not the case everywhere.

I was faced with the same decision and opted for ECV over C Section, I figured it was worth giving it a go if there was a chance it could be successful.

Turned up for my appointment (at 38 weeks) and they started with an ultrasound to check fluid levels etc - baby had turned head down!! I never even felt it happen! Had had a scan a week before at 37 weeks and he was definitely breech then, so no idea how I didn't feel him turn.

If you haven't already, then look at spinning babies website and also try reflexology.

My little boy then stayed head down until the end, I had him on Friday morning! Good luck x

Hello ladies

I'm Kelly ive not been on here for a while
I have a little boy who is 4 next month through my pregnancy he was head down all along and he was delivered naturally with no problems he was 11 days early.

I am currently 34wks pregnant and my little boy is laying accrossed my belly head under my left rib back down by my groin and legs and bum round my right ribs I have a high placenta and when I went for our 4d scan he was snuggled right in to my placenta
I have such bad spd and my groin I'm in agony with :(( never has this with my other pregnancy.
I have a scan booked for 28th of jan to check his position his not moved at present I cannot see him moving round any time soon little monkey
Can any one please please give me Advise on weather to have him manually turned as I've read some bad and unpleasant stories hurting, risks etc.
But I would rather try and avoid a c section as the recovery is so long and I still need to get my son to nursery and won't b able to drive and it's not walking distance and my hubby self employed so he won't be able to take a lot of time off work my mum is a full time carer to my nan so don't really have a lot of family support.

Any advise or tips would be great

Thank you ladies

Kelly xxx

After some fairly heated discussion... just wondering what you think you will do?

There is no right or wrong decision.

I had already chosen a repeat csection with this baby after a traumatic induction and emcs with DD so it hasn't really mattered that he is breech BUT has this been baby no.1 or I'd previously had a vaginal birth hands down I would be trying the EVC and acupuncture.

A problem free natural birth will always be better than a csection. In my experience recovery wasn't fun and although some people have great recoveries they are in the minority... Just like women who have extremely bad recoveries from vaginal births are the minority.

That being said whatever will be will be. If baby doesn't turn and csection is your only option you will be fine, don't sweat it. We've got o get these bubbas out somehow!

Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->