C-section question

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Bit of a random question and im still very early in pregnancy but have always said if Im lucky enough to have another I would really like a c section.
UK ladies do you get a choice or does it depend on your pregnancy.
I had a long traumatic birth lots of things went wrong, which I then had PND which i think triggered it.
I would just love to have a bit more control this time. I want to be in and out of hospital as quickly as I can. Even though I know you can't really control these things.
So what's it like having a csection, recovery time is it at home etc and is anyone allowed to have one? :thumbup:

I'm sorry about your first labor and traumatic birth. I will say having had 2 c-sections (1 emergency under general, 1 elective ) my first recovery was fine but my elective was a nightmare, and the c-section was scary, I hate not being able to feel my legs and the numbness went way up to my chest, felt like I couldn't breathe and I don't panic easily. And then they are tugging and pulling on you and it's traumatic. Recovery was horrible and I had severe complications. C-sections sound good but please remember they are MAJOR abdominal surgery. Don't take that decision lightly because you may end up with another traumatic event.
All that said I do believe it is the woman's choice and I hope you get the birth you feel is right for you!! (Hugs) because I know what it's like to have been traumatized and fearful of it again ( that's me right now, terrified of another c-section and am not allowed to try vba2c)!!

Oh poor you :hugs: I remember that with the epidural and I couldnt feel from my top chest and it all ended with me being rushed into theatre.
Funny as I wanted a natural birth in a birthing pool with no pain relief :haha: omg! I don't think my dds birth could have been far enough from this. All goes out of the window when it's time:baby:
My only thought was with a csection you know when it's going to happen so you can be bit more prepared sleep wise. I spent 4 nights in Hospital in the run up to delivery and I didn't sleep a wink so when it came to delivery I was running on empty. It's horrible isn't the fear, you would think by now there would be a third option!:haha: x

You have the choice. They may try and talk you out of it with the pros and cons but it is ultimately up-to you. This will be my 3rd elective section with this baby xxxx

*** that being said tho as the pp said it takes a lot to recover from. And it can be difficult not being able to get up and about afterwards as easily. I also spent 4 nights in hospital after each of mine so it is worth bearing that in mind. I was sectioned at 38.5 weeks both times xx

I've only had an emergency c-section after a pretty traumatic labour and it was the easiest part of the whole experience (including the recovery). I am going to ask for an elective section this time, even though I am sure they will try to convince me that I am a good candidate for a VBAC. I think you have to stay in hospital for 48 hours after the section, but like you said, at least you don't have sleepless nights of labour before hand!

I was under the impression that you only have the choice of a c-section in the UK if you have had a previous one? I could be wrong but I thought that was the general rule? I've certainly been told I can't have one (not that I wanted one) unless it was an emergency of course, but it is my first. Possibly with your history of PND and a difficult labour etc, it would be a choice. Def speak to your midwife about it, I'm sure she'll be able to let you know the general options for your local health authority. Good wishes for your pregnancy!

Dependable where you live/consultant.
I've had 2 sections. 1st was emergency and second was failed induction (could break my waters at 14 days over due)
Personally, I recovered well from both with no issues. I stayed in 1 nights after each one and healed well. The spinal however made me itch and the tugging isn't pleasant - recovery can be painful esp with trapped wind & breast feeding etc
Overall just weigh up pros and cons and speak to consultant - my area aren't keen on elective sections though!
No idea what they will say this time for me! I'd like a vbac but assume I won't be allowed!

1st section was emergency. 4d hospital stay. 6wk recovery
2nd section was failure to progress. 4d hospital stay. 6wk recovery ( with staples- OUCH) and a NICU baby......NOT FUN!

3rd baby was VBA2C because i was determined to never go through that again. 2d hospital stay. 4wks recovery.

Personally id not elect for one.

I think if you want to be in and out of hospital quickly a section is not the way to go, I was in for 5 days, could not even get out of bed for 2 days. I had an emergency section and actually found it a great experience however because I will have a 2yo to look after this time I would much prefer a VBAC for quicker recovery and so I can (hopefully) be home within 24 hrs. It depends on the hospital and ob but I would have thought that with a traumatic first labour/birth and PND you would be able to have an elective section. I do believe you have a right to birth how you please, just be aware the recovery will probably be tougher than a vaginal birth as it's major surgery.

I've had two very easy natural births and one emergency c section, I would never choose to have a c section after last time as I found the whole thing very traumatic and the recovery awful - but a lot of that could have been because it was an emergency and as my gp said afterwards "they were only concerned with getting baby out not anything else" which is understandable but not much comfort when I was still in agony after 6 weeks.

I would definitely not see a c section as an easy option but if your first labour was that bad you should ask your midwife about your options early so you know what your dealing with. Good luck

I think it depends where you live if it was really traumatic they might consider. I've never experienced natural birth I got to 9 cm then rushed for an emergency section due failed induction then bleeding. Painful first couple days I was in hospital but i was up and about after a week resting listening to my body , back in work at 6 weeks a few days due to self employment but it depends how active you are and how your body recovers. Pros and cons with every birth I wouldn't like to have a 4th degree tear on my bits like my friend did �� some wouldn't like a section . I'd happily have another elected rather than be rushed that's scarey and all rushed .

It's not dependent on where you live- if you are in the uk, you have the choice.
Personally though, I would think long and hard about it and discuss it with the consultant, you have to do what's right for you though

Really interesting to hear your stories and shows everyone has there own good & bad.
I too had a 4th degree tear which was another thing added to the complications. Took many weeks/ months to heal with many midwife follow up apps.
Just dont think my lady bits would cope again!
Definetly a descison i wont make lightly as it is major surgery. Just hope the docs will see it from my point of view. Have a midwife app in a few weeks be interesting to see what they say. Thanks everyone for the support :thumbup:

Here's something else for you to consider:

I am a physiotherapist and see many ladies middle aged and up with low back back and pelvic dysfunction. I'd say a large percentage of then had some major abdominal surgery (c section, hysterectomy, etc). When you have a c section you're doing more than just stretching and weakening the muscles. You're CUTTING the muscles. It makes your abdominals even weaker than normal and resulting scar tissue growth can cause its own set of problems internally as it adheres to other tissues... like your organs. Having weak abdominals and core musculature can set you up for some real problems with the low back later on. The same can be said for stretched out abdominals from pregnancy... but it's even more true for someone who has had major abdominal surgery.

Ultimately it's your choice whether to have the surgery, so think through your options carefully. As for me, I've 'seen' enough to know I will be avoiding surgery at all costs unless myself or my baby is in danger.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"