c section questions

T

tinytoes

did you have spinal block or an epidural?

And did they put your pee catheter in before or after the spinal / epi? And how long did they keep teh catheter in for? I had one before and I hate them...got an air block last time and couldnt pee despite the nurse telling me to drink more water...grrr

Thanks.

hi ive had 3 sections this will be my 4th , with my 1st i was put to sleep which i hated as i was pushing him away when he was born which i don,t remember , with my 2nd i had epidural & with my 3rd i had spinal , they put catheter in after the spinal they took catheter out the next day i hate it too as it stings when its been taken out but its bearable , will this be your 1st section? violet xx

yes my first- not too sure what to expect. Already had last appointment with my doc and forgot to ask him these questions!
I'm told baby should be out in 15 minutes and I should be holding him within an hour. I do hope so.

that sounds about right , but it does seem quicker than that , as its all over quicker than what you think . violet xx

Hiya.

I've had two Sections One elective and one emergency. On both occasions I had an epidural and was catheterised after it took effect. As far as I'm aware it was removed at the end of the op before I went to recovery because I don't remember it being taken out. :)

It's no-where near as scary as you think it's going to be and as soon as your baby is in your arms you can't think of anything else. My husband even got to cut the cord. :laugh2:

It's no-where near as scary as you think it's going to be and as soon as your baby is in your arms you can't think of anything else. My husband even got to cut the cord. :laugh2:

oh that is great - we've been told a definate no for the cord cutting - looks like they're not at all felxible on that but so be it.

Thanks for putting me at ease. Hope I dont have to keep the catheter in for long either.

I had an emergency section as i already had an epidural they just topped it up. I'm afraid i have no idea at which point they put in the catheter... i only realised i had it in when i realised i hadn't been for a pee in about 10 hours. Lol

xx

i also had an emergency c section and they put catherta in whilst i was in theatre and removed it after 24 hours.

i had already demanded an epi during labour so that was topped up for my c section.

even though mine was an emergency c section we have photos of bubs straight after and DH got to cut the cord xx

Catheters disgust me :(

I'm actually quite terrified about needing a c section. usually it's the other way round but I REALLY do not want a c section.

i didnt either but i didnt get a choice x

Yeah, I understand that. I wonder what would happen if you flat out refused?

I was watching a mutiple mums episode on TV, and the woman on it had twins. Her pregnancy went on until 43 weeks b/c she refused medical intervention, she refused to be induced, and her twins were born 4 hours apart and perfectly healthy. It makes me wonder if there's just TOO much unnessecary intervention these days.

i had to have an emergency c section because after 24 hours of labour he tunrnt back to back, threw his head back, his heart rate dropped and then he pooped inside me so i didnt really get any choice x and im just glad he is here happy and healthy x

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works, i had my catheter in before i had any pain relief, both times a was awake anyway, (was knocked out for first).
It was not a nice experience, especially last time, they took me down at 9am, got me prepared, you know, catheter bag, drip and what ever else they do, was just taking me down to theatre, when they got an emergency, so i had to be wheeled to a room, still attached to all, but they got another emergency after that, i was sat on the edge of my seat (literally) until 1 pm when the theatre was finally free.
But it does hurt in a pinching kind of way, but once its there, its just uncomfortable.
They didn't take it out, until i was up on my feet and able to walk to the toilet.
You do know you wont be able to walk for a few hours after don't you.
Sorry if ive freaked you out a bit, but i thought you should know as it could possibly happen to you.

When I had my C it wasn't my choice, but it was a scheduled one. It honestly was quite easy, I never thought of it as surgery or anything, just my daughter's birth. I got to the hospital at 6am. Got in my room, got prepped (IV, gown, shaved, etc) and waited a little bit. It was delayed for like a 1/2 hour, but I didn't have the catheter in or anything yet. They took me down to OR, (wouldn't let DH come for this part), and put the spinal block in. They waited for it to kick in before putting the catheter in, which I didn't feel at all. Then got DH and my mother who was also allowed in the room. Within like 5 mins of surgery starting, Erica was born. DH still got to cut the cord, they wiped her down, did her first apgar scores real quick and DH brought her to me. He held her and let me cuddle with her. I did end up getting sick from what was used in my spinal block, vomiting during surgery, and shaking during and for about 3 hours after. If you are sensitive to morphine or any kind of pain meds you should let them know ahead of time. I am and I had no idea.

You will be fine tho! Its a little uncomfortable as they are doing the surgery because even tho you cant feel any pain, you can feel them kinda tugging and pulling. Its weird. But it will all be worth it once you hold your LO. Good luck hun! And if you can, walk as soon as you can afterwards. I walked 4 hours after and I recovered very quickly. Dont push yourself too hard, but do push a little.

I had a planned section with a spinal, they put the catheter in during the section. Only problem was it took them over an hour to get the spinal in, but it was because I am quite overweight, short and I had a massive bump so it was hard to bend over enough for them to get it in easily...they got it in eventually and everyone in the room cheered..including me!

I had the section just before midnight, and if I remember correctly they removed the catheter the next day at 4pm (I only remember cause I was waiting for visitors to go so I could get the damn thing out lol) Also I was up walking the next day not long after they took the catheter out, it really makes a difference to get up soon and move, as Im just over 4 weeks down the line, and have felt great, recovered very quickly.

I was fine with my spinal, but this was because i had this little butch midwife pushing my shoulders down, and i couldn't move even if i wanted to, she was one strong woman.
I was walking about 4 hours after the second one, but the third, took me ages, but me being over eager, was lifting my self up in bed straight after and ended up bursting my stitches, lol:dohh:, so when they tell you to rest and not move much, listen to them, lol.
Oh but while i think about it, have you seen there pressure dressings, there super sized sanitary towels, this gave us a giggle at the time.

Ihave had 4 sections. It really is not so bad, particularly if its a planned one. I had the catheter in for 24 hours, I liked it as getting up for a pee would not have been easy in those first few hours!!! The baby is out very quickly and you are admiring your baby when they stitch you up so soon passes. Beware it is a very strange feeling/sensation when they are pulling the baby out. You can feel the tugging .:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->