c-sections

Incubator

Reaction score
There's a small chance I'll need a c-section and I know nothing about them really. Anyone had one and can tell me what to expect? How was the recovery time? How long did you need to spend in hospital?

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers.

x

Me too chick:hugs:....:cry:

Only ever had "normal" births before, bit scared but as long as bubs is ok I guess.

All I know is they usually do a spinal to numb you from middle of torso downwards, take baby out, stitch you up and you can't drive for 6wks:dohh:

i had one first time round .. an emergency c section so didnt get much chance to think about it. Was rushed into theatre kinda thing.

I remember totally freakin out when they were giving me the epidural but i think it was because everything was so unexpected. After that my lower half was obviously numb n didnt feel much after that ... felt slight fumbling where they were trying to get baby out but thats about it. They have a screen so you cant see whats going on below.

Afterwards got o see my daughter - that moment i remember quite clearly but after that everything seems a daze maybe because of the painkillers. For at least the next day i felt totally not myself. Its quite sore getting up and about coughing laughing just your day to day stuff as well - so i would advice help if you can get it. I tried doin it myself n i ended up with my cut bleeding on several occassions.

I did go on to breastfeed (not straight away) day after she was born n after few problems managed to succesfully bfeed for 8 months.

Why are you having to have a c section?

There's a small chance I'll need a c-section and I know nothing about them really. Anyone had one and can tell me what to expect? How was the recovery time? How long did you need to spend in hospital?

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers.

x

I was in hospital 6 days .. but recovery time to get back to 'normal' is longer - i think they say to take it easy for about 6 weeks (someone plz correct me if im wrong here) Hope ive been of some help. xx

Thanks so much for the info. My placenta is completely covering my cervix but there's a good chance it'll move before birth. I'm quite comfortable with the idea of having a c-section as still have nightmares about the natural birth of my daughter nearly 10 years ago! It wasn't much fun! Just wanted to find out all about c-sections. I'm a bit worried about the recovery time but I guess it's a good excuse to let the boyfriend do a lot of the work...

What were the complications about breast feeding?

Thanks again.
x
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Sorry to intrude, but i've been told i would proberly need a c-section too, so any info would be great :)

I had to have an emergency section and I was in hospital for 4 days. It was very traumatic and my memories of it are still raw. It would have been much better if it had all been planned.

It took me 2 weeks to get up and around without too much pain and 6 weeks to be back to normal.

Best of luck, if you have any more questions feel free to ask

xxx

i had an E/C section at 36 weeks, but they knocked me out (because we were dying), so i cant tell you much about the op. But the recoverys ok, they say 6 weeks before you lift anything etc.... (imposible if your a single mum like i was, told i wasnt alowed to lift the baby!!! erm hello??)
you have to be careful when you cough and sit up right afterwards, to cough they tell you to push your hand again your stitches, and to sit up you can roll onto one side and push up woth your arm or use a ladder thing they attach to the end of the bed.

sorry for the long post!!!

good luck girls youll be fine

:hug:

xxxx

Thanks so much for the info. My placenta is completely covering my cervix but there's a good chance it'll move before birth. I'm quite comfortable with the idea of having a c-section as still have nightmares about the natural birth of my daughter nearly 10 years ago! It wasn't much fun! Just wanted to find out all about c-sections. I'm a bit worried about the recovery time but I guess it's a good excuse to let the boyfriend do a lot of the work...

What were the complications about breast feeding?

Thanks again.
x
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

lol yeah it is a great exuse to do nothing ... with the bfeeding , now obviusly everyones gonna be different - but for me the experience was unexpected (csec) so the first day i was so sore n emotionally a bit of a wreck. If im totally honest i didnt feel like picking her up - i was totally amazed that she was mine n happy that she was here but for some reason didnt feel the urge to pick her up cuddle her nothing, so bfeeding was kind of a far of thing. I know that must sound terrible but that was how it was. ... i remember the nurse taking her to feed maybe a day after she was born n it was then that i had this need for her to be in my arms , n that was my first bfeed - shed been given bottles for 1 night n 1 whole day which meant establishing bfeedng took a while.

Did ur natural birth not go to plan? my 2nd daughter was a natural birth n i so prefered it to the csection. Anyways hope everything works out for you just the way that you want it too. x

My daughter arrived 4 weeks early - I wasn't prepared for the birth at all as I thought I had at least a month to get everything ready. The birth was relatively quick but so painful that I kept passing out and had to be brought back round. It was just a bit traumatic and I went into shock afterwards.

I'm actually terrified of giving birth naturally again!

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Best of luck with number three.
x

Ive had one emergency section and 2 planned sections.
I cant tell you much about the emergency one as it was very traumatic and i ask to be knocked out.
The planned ones was ok though. They prep you for it before hand, putting the drip in, (shave your down there, its a bit embarrasing having a midwife do it...trust me) i also had the cathitar bag fitted as prep to, but they sometimes do it after they've done the spinal.
You get took down to theatre, where they do the spinal, a midwife pushes your shoulders down fron the front while they put the spinal in your back, its a little uncomfortable, but soon you loose all feeling from the chest down, so its not to bad, you lay down and they check that your numb by putting ice on your belly (its weird because you know its there, but you cant feel it).
Then they get to work, it doesent take tham long to deliver the baby, id say about 15 minutes, you feel some tugging when they are taking them out.
Then once baby is out they start to sew you up again, this takes about 30 minutes, seems like a long time, but you want them to do it right, so its ok.

It takes a couple of hours to get the feeling back in your lower limbs, you should try not to move to much, i tried sitting up to soon last time and burst my stitches, so you take advantage of people running round for you and lay back.
A few hours later (about 12) they get you up on your feet and take you for a small walk.
Then from there you progress.
It hurts when you cough, laugh, situp ect, so use a pillow to support your scar. When sitting up or getting out of bed, roll on to your side and put your legs over the bed, then support your body with your arms to stop you straining your self.
The normal stay is 3-5 days depending on how you heal.
The first week is the worst pain wise, you have to take it slow.
You start to get somewhat back to normal after about 6 weeks, but you should still take it easy if you still feel atall uncomfortable.
You cant drive for 6 weeks after too, but thats box standard with any operation.
And there you go, what i know, hope it helps.

I had an emergy one last time and im going to see if i can get a planned one this time.

I have to say the emergy one had my tramatised and it was rush rush rish and i was thinking the baby was going to die. After he came out ok all was fine and i was in hopsital 5 days. The pain for me was ok and i healed pretty quicky. I understand that every1 is different

I'll be having my 4th c-section with this baby!
My first was an emergency and all happened very quick.
The next 2 were planned and I could choose a CD and it was all very laid back. I had a spinal (worst part about it!) and baby was out within a few mins. Sticthed back u for about 20 mins, 1 hour in recovery then back to the ward with baby.
I used to say 'its a doddle' having sections - as after my first 2 I recovered very quickly. But after my 3rd it took many weeks for me to feel normal again.
It is not as scary as you may think xxx

Every section is different even for the same mother. I have had 2 and they were both urgent but not emergency or planned lol.

As I am diabetic my sections are complicated so I won't go into all the drips and extra processes. But Like Enigma said they how they put your spinal in is just like that and it's usually up to the aneasthetist whether your partner is there or not while they do it. Mine took ages to get in both times as I had Pre Eclampsia and was swollen. Both my boys took about 20 mins to come, rare but they were both breech and transverse and large so took a while to get them out. Then they stitch you up after weighing baby and they took a picture of us with our baby while they stitch. So after you would normally be in recovery for about an hour then back to the ward. Now here is where my sections differed.

Section 1 I was up and out of bed after 18 hrs and had my catheter removed then had a shower and removed my dressing. My recovery was very slow, I was in hosp for 5 days and I was in a lot of pain. I felt pain and discomfort for about 6 weeks. I was ill for a long while but it was because I was so ill during the pregnancy and went with undiagnosed diabetes the until 30 weeks and had him at 36 weeks.

Section 2 I was up out of bed after 12 hrs and showered and removed my dressing, they I was walking around quite pain free after only 2 days then went home after 3 days. I didn't take another pain killer after leaving the hosp and was fine within 10 days altogether. I had a fit and healthy pregnancy so I am sure that's why.

You cannot do anything strenuous, no hoovering or lifting or carrying or driving for 6 weeks.

hey sorry to intrude here bt i am having identical twins and have been told i might have to have c section! this thread has jst totally freaked me out!! LOL

Don't be freaked out!!! It's a doddle having a section!!! :rofl:

Seriously, I had a 25 hour labour with Kayleigh, had to be cut to deliver, was in hospital for 5 days after, and my stitches went 'ickie' after so I couldn't sit down properly for weeks. I hated it.

With Charlie, it was an elective section because of acute SPD. I had him at 10.36am Thursday, had my catheter removed 8am Friday and had a shower and was then up and about. I was home 2pm Saturday! :happydance:I found the recovery so quick and easy. I walked the dog Saturday night!!! :rofl: I was in Tesco's shopping (with the help of DH) on the Monday!! :rofl: At the time, we had been housed by the council 4 miles away from Kayleigh's school, so I had no choice but to drive after 9 days when Stu went back work. I found it fine, and not at all painful. I had to get a note from the doc to pass to the insurance company.

I'm having a section this time again, and am not worried at all about it.

I love vaginal I really hope I dont have to have a c section.. I don'tt want the lack of mobility etc. The whole healing process sucks I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->