Caffeine - anyone ever tried to give it up?

I have given up diet coke and have never drunk hot drinks at all. I am finding it hard now to know what to drink, water gets boring as does squash. Shouldnt drink much orange juice, do drink bitter lemon some times but not sure how good that is for you. Just dont think i drink enough anymore!

I tried to totally give up caffeine a few months ago and did have a headache that lasted 3 days... untouched by Tylenol or Motrin. After that went away, I still had the cravings so I caved. I recently have pretty much cut out caffeinated sodas, although I am dying for the taste of Pepsi! I am not a coffee or tea drinker, so the only place I get caffeine anymore is chocolate. YUM!

Funny how we ladies aren't supposed to drink caffeine while TTC; but I've heard it's good for your OH to have a Mountain Dew about 2 hours before :sex: because then the :spermy: swim faster!!!

Ahhhhhh!!! I was just talking about how I was pretty sure I was going to DIE without caffeine!! lol. I know, a little dramatic but really!! I love love love coffee and the occasional soda :) When I was TTC with my last LO I cut it out completely, I was ok until about month 7 of my pregnancy when I started CRAVING it like a crazy woman. So I talked to the doc and he said that as long as I didn't have more then 300mg of caffeine a day I would be fine. So I would have a soda or two a week and be good. Giving it up always seems real easy after the headaches go away and I do good for a few weeks.....then DH heads to the grocery store and stocks up the fridge with 4 different kinds of sodas and I hear them calling my name all the way from the other room :)

I don't drink hot drinks but I am absolutely hooked on diet pepsi and drink 2 litres a day. I so need to cut it out! x

oh my! i bet you will change your mind once you ladies find out about how dangerous diet coke/pepsi really is.

it is hard tho...I havent drank pop in a long time and the last couple days i have been desperately craving a pepsi! but im a good girl...i havent gave in :D

watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFRLIjOLOU

Ps. I am sipping on Starbucks as we speak :)

Oooh I didnt know that about Mountain Dew!

Love love love Starbucks :)

x

I gave it up 'cos it gives me migraines. Urgh. Just drink decaff everything now. Headaches are probably caffeine withdrawal symptons and should clear up.

I am now quite scared - I have consumed masses of diet coke, and switched to diet 7-Up - its sweetner of choice - Aspartame

Fizzy drinks are not good in any way. Try fruit juice, natural ones, like one lemon with water, that´s easy to make, or just water. It´s all about what you get used to.

About caffeine, how about changing to green tea? When you feel like a nice hot coffee, just have a nice hot cup of green tea, which is also suppossed to be good for conceiving.

Stay clear of Green tea - apparently it has as much caffeine then coffee!!!!!

I drink 1 cup of coffee a day and drink 10 cups of decaf tea a day:coffee:

I gave up smoking on 29th May 2009 (the day before I got married) after 14 years

Giving up caffiene was a doddle in comparison, but I do not suggest anyone start smoking in order to make their caffiene withdrawal easier!!!

Having the incentive to make my body a nicer environment for a bean really helped.

Also, started eating much more chocolate because I had cut back on my drinking. Why? you ask, because usually, when sad or low, I would either
1, have a fag
2, have a cuppa and a fag
3, Have a bottle of wine and a fag
4, have another fag.

Hi, I only have the morning coffee now (cant give that up yet).....the rest of the day I drink Peppermint Tea! at first I hated it, now I really like it....plus its good for you!!

x

Good luck with it. I gave up coffee first, several years back, mild headache for a week. Gave up tea a couple of years later, again a headache, this time for a couple of weeks. I don't know to what extent it would have helped conceiving my two babies back then, but anyway... i'm sure it's better to give the stuff up! The worst trial was giving up Diet Coke, which i finally managed a couple of years ago, and that was the worst headache of the lot, felt really quite ill for a fortnight or so. I drink (by doctor's orders!) a 2L bottle of water a day, but only like fizzy, and it's fair to say that i'm thoroughly addicted to water.... Would go nuts for even half a day without fizzy water! Can't win on the addiction front, but at least it's caffeine free. I drink Redbush tea now, it's decaff, and have the occasional latte, thankfully with no accompanying headaches after the coffee. Diet coke though, demon drink...

thought this might help (resource "babycenter.com")

"You may also want to cut back on caffeine. The research on whether caffeine can affect fertility is mixed. Experts generally agree that low to moderate caffeine consumption, less than 300 mg a day or about the equivalent of three cups of coffee, won't affect your fertility, but your doctor may recommend that you cut caffeine out entirely to play it safe. Learn more about caffeine and fertility."

this chart is very helpful :coffee:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_caffeine-during-pregnancy_3955.bc?page=2

i like to go to stores where i can grind my own coffee. i do about 3/4 decaf and 1/4 caf (maybe even less). then i can have 2 cups in the am, but it's really only one cup worth of caf. this has really helped me to get my fix, yet ease off of it.

good luck ladies!!!

:dust: :dust: :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"