Called my daughter "fat girl"

Noodlejuice

Mum to 3, expecting #4!
Reaction score
My little girl has just started in reception, but she was at the nursery attached to the school last year full time so she has friends already and is used to the environment.

While we were bathing her tonight she told us that, while she was in the toilets at school, one of the year one girls called her "fat girl". She doesn't seem to have been upset too much by it, but she did start saying that the girl wasn't fat at all and was very thin, saying "I'm not fat am I?"; we assured Heather that she isn't in any way fat and that the girl is being silly...but now I'm not really sure what to do!

Do I mention something to H's teacher? As someone who had an eating disorder from the age of 14 onwards I don't like the thought that there's some little kid running about the place saying horrible things to other girls simply to make them feel bad about themselves...but by the same token, I know kids can be really cruel. I don't want to overreact, but there's something about this that makes me really uncomfortable!

Yes you should say hun.

Even if they dont know which girl it was or feel she didn't realise how hurtful what she was saying was the teachers could maybe take this opportunity to talk to the year 1 classes about name calling and how wrong it is.
Im sure you daughter will be fine about it but id want it nipping in the bud so it doesn't happen again :hugs: xx

Id say about it I remember when my son was in p2 and he was saying about girls in his class were on a diet??? These kids were 6 and not in need of a diet! No child should have to worry about weight or diets at that age. Children are cruel but they need to be taught that words can actually hurt more than actions.

I would definitely say something. Many young children wouldn't take offence but one might and things can spiral downwards very quickly with such young impressionable minds.

Yes, say something. Its bullying and the quicker the children learn that its not nice and wont be tolerated the better.

I agree I'd say something as well :hugs:

I would probably say something as well. Girls are becoming self conscious younger and younger these days and having others taunting and name calling could lead to something serious. Most kids will brush this sort of thing off but there might be a few that take it right to heart.

Chuldren tend to be violent... I`d say something to her teacher.

That type of behaviour should be nipped in the bud quickly and I do think you should say something about it. :hugs:

I totally agree, I would just have a quiet word with the teacher just to see if she can keep an eye out for any name calling.

Just to add, its not just kids that are cruel, I was in a park with my daughter at the weekend and a woman looked at her, then said to me "She's obviously not a faddy eater is she... don't worry, she'll slim off" -I was horrified. Luckily my daughter was busy on the monkey bars and was totally oblivious to this but this was a grandmother there with her grand daughter and, I know this isn't nice to say but, she was fat herself!

Had a word wih the teacher, the yr 1 teacher is going to have a word with the whole class. Apparently they've had some problems with that group and name-calling, so they are aware there's an issue there!

Luckily the school's fantastic; they don't tolerate anything like this. Thanks for your advice everyone xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->