• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Calling all Agnostic/Atheist Mommas

I'm agnostic and don't plan on taking my boy to church or anything like that as I do not follow any religions. I won't teach him about how there are different religions and beliefs unless he asks or is at a certain age so he can know if he's being brainwashed it manipulated. He is free to believe whatever he wants, I just want him to know how to research things beforehand.

I went to a CoE school, and myself and my parents are Agnostic. I wouldn't mind him going to a CoE school to learn about all religions, which i did at primary school. and going to harvest, and mass and things because i enjoyed it as a child and decided for myself aged about 8 that i didn't believe in god. I will also be getting him christened. I think i'm quite laid back about it. My parents never forced anything on me, allowed me to follow my own path and i wish to do the same.

I've seen CoE a lot in this thread but have no idea what it is (beside a school). Can someone enlighten me?

Why are there Christians in this thread questioning atheists?

I haven't seen any Christians questioning atheists. I've seen discussion about acceptance of religion (mostly between atheists)... but no one questioning anyone's atheist beliefs. :shrug:

I don't believe in God but I was brought up C of E. I will bring my child up without religious belief, but I don't mind her having some religious 'culture' in her life. For example if she goes to a Christingle service at school that would be okay, or if she did an Easter celebration with school that would be okay too.

Because I was brought up CofE and went to Church every week and was in the choir, bellringing and so on, those sorts of things have always been a part of my life and so I don't feel at all uncomfortable or blasphemous in a church/doing religious things even though I don't actually believe in God. We don't do religious things on a day to day/week to week basis because we don't believe in God, but generally children in England do get some exposure to Christianity and I'm okay with that level of immersion.

When she is old enough I will probably tell her that I believe in science rather than God, but I would be very careful with my wording because a lot of my family (OH's family in particular) are devoutly religious and I definitely would never want her to think I am criticising what they believe in. I'll make it clear that my views are not the only views.

If she wanted to be religious in the future, I would allow that and be fine with it, although I would not actively encourage it in the first place. Since I don't know much about other religions, the one I expect she will know most about is Christianity, and I'm fine with that as long as she has a basic understanding of other religions.

We are both atheist but OH was religious for a while and I come from a religious family. I to was never pushed into religion and neither was OH, nor were steered away from it. We just made our own minds up. And that's definitely how I will treat my children with regards to religion. It is their choice make, not mine xx

(Haven't read any posts other than the first post) xx

ETA: I also went to a CofE primary school and a catholic secondary school

Well, I'm atheist. But my son goes to a catholic school so is obviously taught about god. He's not christened though.

I'll let both my kids decide if they want to follow a religion or not.

This thread has been such an interesting read! OH is an anti-theist and I'm... I'm not sure what I am. I don't believe in any god as such and don't agree with organised religion, but I believe in fate, so I guess I'm weird! We've recently had lots of discussions about this as We're looking at nurseries and schools for our LO and a LOT of schools here are religious in some form or another. I have no problem with our daughter being taught about religion, as long as it taught in a 'some people believe this, and others believe this' way, rather than as statements of fact 'Jesus died for us on the cross and was reborn' etc. I would also like for her to understand right away that there are many different religions rather than just Christianity. I don't mind her learning about bible stories etc as long as they're taught as stories, not real events.

With regards to her religious beliefs - everyone is entitled to their own belief system, as long a they don't try to shove it down others throats or claim superiority because of it. If she wants to be a Buddhist or a Jehovas Witness or a Wiccan etc then that is her choice. In all honesty I would be a little disappointed, but I'd leave her to practice her beliefs as she saw fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->