Calling all experienced BFers

emalou90

Reaction score
I am currently TTC number two.
I gave up pretty rapidly with DD and BFing, I gave her the first feed and the rest while in hosp but I felt under so much pressure and that I wasn't doing it right.
So really, I blagged that I fed her to the discharging midwife and was discharged to a formular fed baby which I was so disappointed about (no offence FFers)

This time I have already researched technique, and it's totally different than what I was shown/told in hospital back in 2010.

Anyone got any tips? :shrug:
I want the closeness of being able to breast feed successfully, to me there is nothing more comforting than seeing a mummy breast feeding her baby in the early days :thumbup:

Welcoming any tips or suggestions :flower:

I was always worried I wasn't doing it right in the hospital I was afraid her latch was bad (it was shallow and painful) and she'd lose too much weight.

Stay calm. Dont get worked up if your baby doesn't latch right away it took my daughter over an hour to latch on. I was doing it the way the nurse told me to and finally I told them I wanted to do it my way. I didn't have a way I just wanted to experiment different positions until we found one that worked. It was the football hold that I used most in the hospital.

Be patient. My daughter wanted to feed for ever long at night and it hurt so bad I just wanted to quit I think I even tried to convince the doctors to let me give up but they kept talking me into trying different things to help her latch and ease the pain.

It helps to have support. My supporters were mainly the nurses. Bfing isn't popular where I'm from so no one I know bfed for more than a couple of days and had absolutely no knowledge in it so they didn't care if I gave up.

It also helps to set short term goals instead of long term goals. When I first got started my goal was to get through the first few days and if everything was going well with lo (as in not losing too much of her birth weight) I would continue for a weeks. Etc etc.

I kept/keep telling myself if I can't convince myself that I have a good reason to quit then I can't let myself quit.

Good luck ttc number 2! Sending lots of baby dust your way!!

My hospital were pretty good. I had a few friends who'd gone home and it hadn't been working for them. So when the hospital asked if I wanted to stay in a second night to make sure BF was more established I agreed. It meant I was much more confident once I went home. You might not want to as you already have a LO but it really helped me.

My Mum BF my brother - so she came over the first weekend and helped me get the hang of feeding sitting up (could only do lying down in the hospital which was pretty limiting!) But definitely get some support.

I promised my Mum I'd do it for 2 weeks... she said I could quit then! So I set myself 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months... and today I made a year. The first 6 weeks including the 6 week growth spurt was really tough... Once you get to 6 months it's a breeze.

Have lots of food prepared / frozen for days when you don't want to cook, you need your energy levels in those early weeks.

Whatever you don't don't stress! I was so worked up that he couldn't or wouldn't latch that I panicked and caved in when the nurses suggested he take a bottle of formula. The pressure continued once I got home and the midwives kept saying they were concerned that he wasn't putting on weight - he was born at 36weeks by emcs so was very sleepy all the time! My son had three bottles of formula in hospital and then he was BF until 12 months, which I'm incredibly proud of as no-one I knew BF their LOs.

Anyway, I let myself be bullied when I all needed to do was relax. Your baby will take what he/she needs so don't feel under pressure to 'top-up' with a bottle. Stay strong and be confident. Together you will find your way. Don't think too far ahead and it will hurt or feel strange for a while, but you will get used to it and you will enjoy knowing that you provide all the goodness for your child to grow. Also if there's a BF group near to you they usually welcome pregnant ladies too so you could put a support network in place before your LO arrives.

Good luck

Ladies you are so wonderful. Thank you for your replies. There is a local sure start centre near me and im sure they do breast feeding groups. I can look into that in the future.
I just want to make sure I have a support network if I need it :) only so much OH can do!
I am determined to do it this time round.
My main concern was that she wouldn't have enough, but today I know that they only need little and often rather than a huge gulp from a bottle.

When the midwife said "it shouldn't hurt" it goes against all I've been told? Thought it was supposed to be uncomfortable and difficult haha :haha:

Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. Yes it can feel a bit odd and tugging but it shouldn't hurt. If it does hurt it usually means a bad latch or it could be tongue tie. I would look up tongue tie so you know what it is just in case. You said you think there is a bf group near you I would suggest going during the last month of your pregnancy so you can get tips and meet the leaders etc so that if you do need extra support you know who to call. I also found this dvd to be a big help
https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/product.php?prodID=18

And the Dr.Jack Newman website has a bunch of video clips to watch as well

It only hurts the first couple of days because lo is still trying to figure it all out and get there latch right. After that it shouldn't hurt...maybe be uncomfortable during really long feeding sessions but if they have a good latch then the pain should subside like a day after your milk comes in.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to be a fan of the football hold I think.. Looks easier than the "regular way"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->