• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

calling all freebirthers

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
I am exploring the very real possibility of my only two birth choices being a hospital birth or a freebirth, and I'm having a lot of anxiety around both options.

There is only one midwife within two hours (to my knowledge) who does homebirths, and someone who is on a maternity coalition with her told me she is no longer taking clients. I've contacted the midwife, who is currently on holiday, to find out for sure either way. I am waiting for her to get home and contact me.

If she is not taking clients, I can try a couple of midwives who are two hours away, but as my second birth was 1 1/2 hours from 3cm-placenta and my first birth was 1 1/2 hours from 4cm-when I felt the urge to push (I delayed things quite a lot by listening to the midwife who instructed me not to push for two hours :/) I really dont think a midwife from that distance would arrive in time. And they all might not be taking clients either anyway as our maternity care is in crisis here, and the end of June marks the end of the insurance exemption for independent midwives, meaning that home birth will be illegal except through one of the few and far between hospital home birth programms, and as I am due less than two weeks before the cutoff date they may not accept me. And then of course there is the cost. We'd be looking at $2500-3500 out of pocket, and when our income is only $30000 a year that's a lot of money.

So at brings us to our dilemma. Even though I had two positive hospital births, another one is not an option for me after spending weeks fighting with the hospital to be allowed to birth my baby breech, and at 40 weeks I transfered my cafe to a hospital 3 hours away. And while I had an easy birth there with no time for interventions or to bemoan the lack of anything but a hospital bed to labour on (not on my back fortunately) post birth I was bullied and belittled and had unnecessary things done to my daughter against my written and verbal consent. As a result the hospital is so not an option. Maybe if I could guarantee a low risk pregnancy that would tick the boxes to be allowed the nice new birth suite with a pool (water birth only finally allowed last month) I would consider it, but obviously there is no such guarantee.

Freebirth makes me anxious as well. However last week in started having dreams that the midwife didn't make it to the birth in time (before I found out she might not take me as a client) and that for me thinking of being prepared for a UC, which for me thinking about the possibility of just outright planning one. The more freebirth stories I read the more I do start to consider it as an option, but I am still very anxious about it. And I doubt my husband would for it at all. He's only barely on board with the idea of a homebirth at all.

So, after that essay, were you anxious about the idea of a free birth or did it just seem right to you? Were your partners on board from the start or did they take convincing? What ended up convincing them?
What resources did you find most helpful in preparing for a feebirth?

Any other comments welcome :)
Thanks!

I'm afraid I can't really offer much wisdom. I was in a simmilar position to you last time arround. We couldn't find a HB MW and I wasn't at all happy about the options I was left with. Near the end of my pregnancy we finally flound a MW who we loved and had a wonderful home birth experience. We have the same MW booked this time.

If you go with a freebirth and things start going wrong can you go to the hospital close to you. I have heared it said that quick births are usually straight forward births so are not usually an emergency. Have you considered going with a MW that lives further away and if she doesn't arrive in time she can still cut the cord, check the baby over, check you for stitches etc after? If things are not as straightforward and it slows things down she will have time to be there before the baby is born.

We've decided to proceed with preparations for a freebirth. The local IM is no longer practicing and the nearest one willing to travel lives 3 1/2 hours away. Her $3000+ fee is a significant financial investment (nearly 10% of our annual income) for such a huge possibility she won't make it in time. The fee is payable in full even if she doesn't attend the birth and only includes two prenatal visits, so she would virtually be a stranger to me still. Half the benefit of an independent midwife, to me, is the relationship and trust building over the previous months.

So instead we will be educating ourselves as much as possible on how to identify and manage difficulties, and I will not hesitate for a minute to call an ambulance if I feel things are not going as well as they should. Luckily I live one minute from the ambulance bay and 6 minutes from the hospital at the speed limit. I will be hiring one or possibly even two Doulas to support me and help me listen to my instincts if I feel a transfer is prudent.

I've started a blog for my thoughts and experiences on this joutney . In anyone is genuinely interested in following in a non-judgemental way feel free to pm me for the address.

I'm still interested in hearing from others who have free birthed if anyone would like to chat in private,

I would love to read your freebirth blog. :) Honestly, if I couldn't get a midwife (or if I lived in a place where I had to pay and couldn't afford it), I would absolutely have a freebirth. The way it is here now, you have to call the second you pee on a stick to make sure you get a spot in a local midwifery clinic or otherwise you're put on a huge wait list. I seriously emailed my old clinic right after getting a BFP at 9dpo, but otherwise I would be planning a freebirth.

It sounds like you have an excellent plan and are close to support! There are some freebirthing groups on facebook where you might be able to learn from women who have been there. I've also seen some live freebirth videos where the url was posted on FB, and so far they've been straight forward and uncomplicated. Best of luck to you! :D

I have no experience with freebirth but just want to wish you luck with your journey. It sounds like you're taking a very sensible approach to everything and have a good plan in place! All the best for your pregnancy and birth :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->