Calling Baby by its name?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by amslou, Apr 15, 2009.

1. amslou

amslou TTC No2

If you have found out the gender of your baby and you have picked the name are you calling them by their name?

DH and I cannot bring ourselves to call the baby by her name we just say the baby. We know what she will be called but we just cant do it. Our families however, do call her by her name and my mum is getting married in crete and booked it so put her name down on the booking (no changing our minds now hey).

2. baby.love

baby.love Guest

I am finding out in 2 weeks and i think i will call baby by its name from then on..Its also cause i have 2 other children and i think it will help them start bonding before the baby is even here. I cant wait for my bump to have a name other than bubba :)

But its down to personal choice and what you are happy with!

3. kiki

kiki Mum to Kirsty and Caidan

I have called Caidan by his name ever since we found out at 18 weeks he was a boy. Everyone in the family refers to him by name.
    That doesnt make it right or wrong. It's personal choice hon, whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do.

xxx

4. NuttyJester

NuttyJester Brand new little boy! :o)

We're not finding out, unless I can twist OH's arm a bit more!

I think we'd still stick with Smudge if we did though to be honest, we like it!

5. overcomer79

overcomer79 LT-TTC success 3.5yrs

I got tired of saying "the baby" so our little boy is being called James. To me, it just makes it more real as I really haven't felt movements yet.

6. m_t_rose

m_t_rose Mommy of Jacob and Julia

I found out but we are not picking the name until after the baby is born. We have names narrowed down to 5 boy names but I don't want to pick yet and then find the name doesn't suit. Also since DH didn't find out the sex I couldn't call the baby by his name if we had picked one anyway.

7. Caramel

Caramel Mummy to a cheeky monkey

DH's family are already calling him by his name, which I thought I'd hate but I actually really like hearing it!! I've started to use his name now but it was soooo weird at first. Feels more natural after a few days, but DH still can't bring himself to call him anything other than baby. It's definitely a case of each to their own, but sometimes it's just a case of getting over that initial few times where it feels a bit weird. For some people it strengthens the bond, for others it doesn't feel right giving them the name until they're here, as long as you're comfortable with whatever you're doing that's all that matters hun xx

8. joeyjo

joeyjo Mum to 2boys, growing #3

OMG m_t_rose

How are you keeping that secret!!! Don't you worry about slipping up! ANd what about the shopping benefits of finding out!

I'm amazed only 1 of a couple can know!

9. elley_baby248

elley_baby248 Mummy to Ben and Pregnant

We still call him "bumpy" mainly because we are not 100% on the name we have picked. Plus i quite like calling him Bumpy lol

10. LucyEmma

LucyEmma Well-Known Member

i call mine by his name sometimes other times i find it a bit strange so i carry on calling him baby or bump lol but OH always calls him joshua :) x

11. amslou

amslou TTC No2

Thanks girls. I know there is no right or wrong in this but was curious to see what other people were doing and how you all felt about it. Perhaps as Caramel said its a case of just getting over the awkward bit for some people.

12. elly75

elly75 Guest

With family, we're just calling the little one 'wibble' as we don't know if they will be a boy or a girl (we'll find out on delivery day).

As for where that name came from, I can't even remember anymore. :rofl:

13. cs22

cs22 Mum and ttc# 2

When i talk about my baby, i call him baby. I cant help it. Part of me thinks ill give him a complex if i call him Thomas and the sonographer got it wrong and i have a girl. Not very likely i know but.....

14. amslou

amslou TTC No2

Yeah there is an element of this in there for me actually. I think its partly what if its wrong and partly thinking what if something goes wrong i dont want (and i appreciate this is completely silly cos i already am) to be too attached by calling her by a name.

15. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

Although we're on team yellow, we have picked a unisex name, but I would not feel comfortable calling the sprog by name. It just doesn't seem right to use the name until LO is actually born.

16. starah

starah Well-Known Member

If we had a name picked out I'm assuming we'd call her it, but we haven't decided so we call her by her nickname we gave her :) Although I have tried calling her an actual name before and it sounded/felt weird...lol i'm just strange though

17. avabear73

avabear73 Mum to Finlay

Wow 5 boy names! We struggled to find one ... we don't know what we're having so in the absence of a decent nickname, it's the baby for now! I think if we knew for sure, we'd call it by name but it's just personal preference ... you should do whatever makes you comfortable :)

18. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

We have a number of names picked out but as we're not finding out we just call the baby bubs. If we did know though we wouldn't call him/her by name just in case something bad happened or they came out the opposite to what we thought.

Odd though, slightly off topic, we had a name all figured and were talking generally about names, this cropped up in front of my mother and she said, oh I like that, I've gone right off it now! :rofl: Must be my rebellious stage kicking in at 25! lol

19. 10thSept

10thSept Mummy to one

Heya
    we have semi chosen a name (I love it, he says he likes it but I'm not convinced, but he hasn't come up with anything yet) but we haven't told anyone we have found out we're having a girl, so we're still just saying baby.

20. babiiblu

babiiblu 2 girls, 1 boy, 4 angels

We call him by name. Its so sweet when dd comes and hugs my belly and says "I love you baby Gabriel"! When he gets all fiesty I always ask him by name what in the world he is doing in there. I think it kinda makes it more real in a sense to us.