calling people who have tried dopplers

wishingonastar

Reaction score
hi, i've just got a doppler which says it can be used as of 12 weeks (though can show results as early as 10 weeks)...well curiosity killed the cat and all that and basically even though i'm not quite 12 weeks i got it out and tried it for a while today. OH seemed to find the heartbeat and then it swam away, but i'm not 100% convinced we did find it!!!

i really wanted to find it around now as we wanna announce it crimbo day when i'm 12 weeks, but scan isn't til 5 days after that and i wanted the reassurance of a heartbeat before telling peeps!!!

anyone got any tips please...?

I have a doppler and used it very low down and to the left or right (cant remember which) but I also used LOADS of gel. What doppler do you have? You may pick up your own heartbeat, but there is no mistaking the babies heartbeat, very quick and twice the speed of your own. You may also hear the placenta, it makes like a woooshing sound.
xxx goodluck

I have a doppler and used it very low down and to the left or right (cant remember which) but I also used LOADS of gel. What doppler do you have? You may pick up your own heartbeat, but there is no mistaking the babies heartbeat, very quick and twice the speed of your own. You may also hear the placenta, it makes like a woooshing sound.
xxx goodluck

thanks hun, i have one called 'applebabe' - not the most hitech but seems to do the job! i'm pretty sure we got the placenta and i defo heard my heartbeat, but not sure on babies! we seemed to get a fast one but then we lost it again and i went on line and listened to one on there and convinced myself it was faster than the one we heard!

think i'll have to try it again with more gel...i seemed to get the heartbeat below and slightly to right of belly button

i would guess that anywhere around the belly button is too high for baby, i am 18 weeks and still find it really low! your uterus doesn't reach you belly button till 20 weeks. i didn't get my doppler till i was about 16 weeks but i would be trying as low as possible with loads of gell, you will prob need to press fairly hard too.

thanks!!! i was thinking it seemed too high from stuff i've read! god this is a mission but it'll be worth it!

you gotta aim right down... like by your pubic bone. I didnt get a heartbeat by my belly button til I was 22+ weeks :D
xx

You gotta aim REAL low - like around your pubic bone and really press in with the probe. Coz they're only little, they may try running away from the probe and hide on the other side of your womb (like my boy did!) but you just need a lot of gel everywhere so you can chase them in there! The swishing sound you'll hear will be your placenta, but the more rhythmic, gallopy-sounding noise will be you LO's heart beat. Good luck finding it!

i found it i found it!!!!!!!!!
i started really low like you guys said and got myself confused with finding my heartbeat but perserved...then just as i was about to give up for fear of cooking the little bean i found it! and you're right...there's no mistaking the heartbeat once you find it cos its a really fast paced gallop :)

thank you so much for the advice...i feel really reassured now that bean is ok and i can feel safe in announcing it :)

merry crimbo everyone :)

:happydance: congratulations! well done! im sure you will have a fantastic christmas, what fantasic news to be able to share at christmas. i remember watching u tube videos beofre we announced and there are loads on there of people announcing it an xmas, made me cry!

good luck! :hugs:

Well done! Hope you enjoy giving your special xmas announcement!

Congrats on finding it .
It will be much easier from now on , Now you have a sense of where abouts and know what baby sounds like .

Have fun announcing on xmas day :) . xx .

I bought an angelsounds one at around 15 weeks to be honest I couldn't really confidently find the heartbeat until 17 weeks, but as my scan was good and I had regular check ups I didn't let my incompetance with the doppler phase me! I can be a bit ditzy so I gave it time to learn how to use it and finally got the hang of it lol. xx

well done and massive congratulations! Hope your friends and family enjoy their xmas present!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->