Can a baby be "spoilt," and is it a bad thing?

S

Serene123

I hear all the time that Caitlyn is spoilt (and she probably is!) but she's only a baby once. I overspent before she was born and now she's here we get a toy every time we go shopping. It finally hit me when I went through my reciepts from last week and I'd spent over £400 on her.. :dohh:

Anyway, can a baby be "spoilt," and is it a bad thing?
I'd rather just have your opinions, not be bitched at.. :blush:

definately!! nicole was spoilt rotten when she was a baby and i suffer for it now!!

i think most 1st babies are, its hard not to spoil them.

At this age no i dont think they can, but once they are older and realise every time they go out they get something then that can be hard to break.

At this age no i dont think they can, but once they are older and realise every time they go out they get something then that can be hard to break.

this is the problem i have with nicole. her uncle used to take her out every weekend and take her to disney store and let her get whatever she wanted!! so now when i take her anywhere she expects to get something, mind you she is getting abit better now and is starting to understand that mummy cant always afford to buy her things.

My wee one is 9 months and already he knows to cry when he doesnt get what he wants...knows exactly what faces to pull to make me feel sorry !! :| Im dreading when hes older!! x

Yes, babies can be 'spoiled', but I certainly don't think she would be 'spoiled' by the age of 2 months simply because she has a lot of toys. In fact, I don't really think it is fair of anyone to call a child spoiled at that age because they still emotionally undeveloped and will only cry etc. for their basic needs to be met.

In terms of having a lot of toys, it isn't a bad thing for her to have lots of them, but tbh, children can be more content playing with the boxes, packaging etc rather than the toys themselves. Although I do buy toys, I don't feel the need to over indulge because Ryan is just as happy playing with the pack of baby wipes or my watch as he is to play with his tigger rattle.

Toria, also bear in mind that people have different opinions as what a 'spoiled child' is. Some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets plenty of love and attention (yes, there are such people), some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets everything they want and throws tantrums.

I don't see it as a bad thing as long as children grow up learning to share and able to take 'no' for an answer. They are only little once, why shouldn't they enjoy it!

Yes, babies can be 'spoiled', but I certainly don't think she would be 'spoiled' by the age of 2 months simply because she has a lot of toys. In fact, I don't really think it is fair of anyone to call a child spoiled at that age because they still emotionally undeveloped and will only cry etc. for their basic needs to be met.

In terms of having a lot of toys, it isn't a bad thing for her to have lots of them, but tbh, children can be more content playing with the boxes, packaging etc rather than the toys themselves. Although I do buy toys, I don't feel the need to over indulge because Ryan is just as happy playing with the pack of baby wipes or my watch as he is to play with his tigger rattle.

Toria, also bear in mind that people have different opinions as what a 'spoiled child' is. Some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets plenty of love and attention (yes, there are such people), some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets everything they want and throws tantrums.

I don't see it as a bad thing as long as children grow up learning to share and able to take 'no' for an answer. They are only little once, why shouldn't they enjoy it!

Well said, I'm in total agreeance with you here!

Totally agree! I love buying stuff for Sam, but I think that's as much for me as anything, rather than because he'll appreciate new things :rofl:

I think once he's a bit older I'll make it clear that new toys etc are just for special occasions, maybe for good behaviour while he's out etc - when I want to buy them and can afford to, not when he wants them! x

Toria, also bear in mind that people have different opinions as what a 'spoiled child' is. Some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets plenty of love and attention (yes, there are such people).

Then those people better watch out because my children be spoiled rotten!!!

They can, but as for clothes I don't think children really care if it's designer or not. Josh has a lot of designer clothes, he doesn't care at all but I love it, I just looove seeing him wearing all these cute things.. It is more for me than for him!!!

I think it's fine that you spoilt your child as long as you make sure your child always ''work'' to get a toy or treat. Like having a good behavior, cleaning his/her room, helping mommy or daddy etc. Also have to teach them that there are people who are less fortunate and make them appreciate what they have.

A friend of mine's daughter gets pretty much everything she want, although she is a really good girl, she gives her old toys & clothes to charity herself!!! She also said to my friend last christmas she didn't want anything apart from an ipod and all the rest of her gifts shall go to charity (she's 7 years old!!!!!).
I really want Josh to be sensitive like this as well.

I know Josh will get a lot of things but I'll make sure he doesn't get things too easily. He'll know that when you are good or work hard, efforts pays off.

I don't think they can be spoilt when they are so young. I find it very hard not to buy something every time I go to the shop. Toys are so expensive though and he already has loads of 2nd hand one that we were given so I satisfy my need to buy stuff by getting him a cute outfit. Got one today that says "Its all about ME, ME and ME."

Toria, also bear in mind that people have different opinions as what a 'spoiled child' is. Some see a 'spoiled child' as one who gets plenty of love and attention (yes, there are such people).

Then those people better watch out because my children be spoiled rotten!!!

Oscar is too in the case
spoilt and proud :cloud9:

i agree with everyone that has replied. since kira has been born i have brought loads of stuff for her, but everyone does hun, its hard not to when they are this age, cos u see something for when they are older say 9months old and think i'll get that. the stuff i have brought kira has been second hand. i did the same when kacy was a baby, i do still spoil her sometimes, but its little things and if she earned them.

I think that being spoiled is fine, being a spoilt brat on the other hand, is a completely different matter!

Spoil her all you like, but when she starts to understand, you need to set boundaries. Bethanie has started to point toys out for the past few months, but we try really hard not to let her get too much. I really don't think your little one is spoiled, you're just excited and want to give your little one as much as possible.. im sure we're all the same.

:)

Daniel was spoilt rotten and still is to this day, I really regret it because now if he doesnt get what he wants, he wants to know why not when he got it before, he has a way of making me feel bad and he usually does end up getting what he wants, he will not wear clothes or trainers unless they have a name and he will only have certain hair cuts, I hold my hands up and yes it is my fault he was my first born and I wanted him to have everything even if it meant saving for a month just to get him an outfit, Diesel, Timberland, Replay, Kickers, Bench, he has had them all and more, not designer but still expensive.
With Declan I have learnt my lesson yes he does still get expensive clothes and trainers to be honest at the moment he has about 20 pairs of trainers more than he will ever wear, but I will never spoil him (yes I will adore him and give him as much love as I can) because I am paying for spoiling Daniel now!!!!
So to answer your question yes you can spoil a child, but 2 months is very young, but my mother-in-law has always insisted that a baby can be spoilt from birth so you need to start as you mean to go on, dont know if I agree with this or not but I took her advice this time with Dec and the difference is unbelievable.
Kind of long but just wanted you to have both sides of the story and I know them both well and truly!!:hissy:

With my 1st 3 kids I done what you done and bought them toys at every turn and it bit me on the bum:dohh: with tantrums etc but with my youngest 2 I dont/wont do this. Joe my 2 year old can walk into a toyshop and look round in wonder and we talk about birthdays and xmas.

But hey you are her mum so if you want to spend, go for it:)

We cant afford to spoil Seth in that way, but Im terrible if he cries I go straight to him and I still cuddle hi to sleep, he's got me wrapped round his little finger, he knows exactly how to get what he wants! lol

I dont think you can spoil them at all as long as they understand when they getolder that they wont get everything they want all the time. My little bro is a right pain when we go out anywhere and always expects something. He's a little horror.

xxx

i wouldnt listen to all they people . you have waitd 9 months for ur baby so ofcourse we all want to spoil them:D

I get that all the time toria but you know what i think...he's my little world and i will spoil him as much as i want...its me who has to take care of his being ''so callingly spoilt''...not the people around him who think he is!...so hey its your little baby why shouldnt she be...your the mum and its entirely upto you...my LO has loads of things and i love buying them x

I spoiled carly and paying for it big time now , when they are babies they have no clue and wont do unless its done all the time for a long time till they get used to it.

Im trying no to be the same with ella this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->