Can a heavy cough and cold cause labour?

Ghost

Mother of one :)
Reaction score
I know it sounds really daft but about three days ago I started getting this cold and now I'm coughing really hard. It's so much it's making my tummy ache and my back ache worse from it. I'm really scared its going to trigger contractions?, is this possible that the infection or cough can do this? . Every time I cough it sends him off wiggling lots so I think he can feel the coughing on the inside. Im currently 36 weeks and 3 days. I've tried taking the remedies I'm allowed but I'm basically letting nature take its course with the cough. It is a nightmare though as the combination of baby being so big and pressing my lungs and my asthma which has been worse since baby means I'm heavy breathing a lot which obviously triggers off the coughing.

I doubt it can trigger labour as thats a hormone reaction.
What your more at risk of from all the coughing and sneezing is pulled muscles and peeing yourself.
Im on my 8th day of a bad cough and cold and im seriously fed up of weeing a bit everytime I cough and the cough is just non stop.
Baby is probably just wiggling alot due to clenching stomach muscles and getting just as fed up with it :)

Thanks . Yeah I think I've already had the pulled muscles from it. And unfortunately I've had the wetting myself a bit too. Ahh the joys of being heavily pregnant lol. Hope your cold gets better soon. I'm hoping mine won't drag on too long. I've been quite lucky I've had about four colds at max since being pregnant whereas before I had one every month if I was lucky. I have a awful immune system so I'm hoping beans got as good of one as he's given me these last nine months.

Just be carefull what you take for it, I asked my midwife and a chemist what was safe to take and both said stay away from all the cold medicine stuff as non of it is really safe.
Only thing the chemist recommended was a honey and glocos soothing medicine that isn't actually medicated its just a soother but even that says to seek dr advice first if pregnant as its dangerous if you have diabetes due to the high suger contents (a small mouth full made the baby really kick off)

i had a bad cold when i went into labor, i'd had it for a few days already when my water broke

I'm popping in from second trimester. Last week I had a terrible flu and non stop cough. It ended up triggering bad Braxton hicks contractions that sent me to labor and delivery for monitoring. It won't cause labor but it can kick off some pretty bad contractions. It sucks. Hope u feel better xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->