can a twin be missed at 20 week ultrasound?

FreyjanRaven

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I'm wondering if anyone has ever, recently, found out they were having twins later than 20 weeks. Some of my friend think they see 2 babies in a recent ultrasound of mine. It never really crossed my mind, but I was extremely sick this time and have had twin dreams so it got me wondering.

Hi hun do u have a picture u can post? I'm having twins and mine were spotted from 7 weeks. When they scan you they do a thorough search of your uterus so it's unlikely they would miss a second baby if it was in another sack. However if they were identical in same sack and one was hiding behind the other... Stranger things have happened!! Maybe give your midwife a call an ask her to take take a look at the scan or call the hospital or clinic who did the scan an ask the consult to have a quick review for u xx

I think it's very unlikely, especially by 20 weeks when the baby/baby's are quite big and fully formed. These sonographers know what they're looking at ;-)
I had twins last time and it was very obvious at 12 weeks that there were two, even to my untrained scanning eyes!
Post the picture!

Sure. Here is the picture. I figured doc would have noticed a twin too, but this photo did look a little funny to me. Of course that happens with some ultrasound pictures ya know :shrug:

Attachments

• PicsArt_1436534148801.jpg
    PicsArt_1436534148801.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 209
That looks like HER feet to me. The parts of the legs that the square is drawn around, look like just her femurs (you can see one continuous bone within them, not two different parts like whole legs). I would say those are her femurs within the square, then you can't see the bottom half of the legs because of the angle, but you can then see the feet (what is drawn around as '2nd legs?') at the bottom of them..? That's a really weird angle though if that is her head at the bottom..! Was that the only picture you got?

Ya it seemed like that head shouldn't match with the very visible set of legs, it seemed too contorted, I only have one more picture that looks about the same. I'll post it.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1436636164058.jpg
    PicsArt_1436636164058.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 95
  • PicsArt_1436636151108.jpg
    PicsArt_1436636151108.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 73
I'd say it was highly unlikely as they don't just check the baby, they check the placenta, cervix, ovaries and uterus to make sure they are all looking healthy. I don't know how they could miss another baby whilst checking that. Although I guess anything is possible.

I don't think that's the head is it not the bladder?!

I mean your bladder, fluid shows up black n it's right beneath the uterus.

I mean your bladder, fluid shows up black n it's right beneath the uterus.

Ahh, I was wondering how it could be babies bladder but I agree, it doesn't look like a head and I think it's your bladder. I don't know how to interpret the picture but judging by the tiny details they pick up on a 20 week scan I find it hard to believe they could miss another baby, unless you had a funny shaped uterus or something.

I'm really confused by your picture! It looks like the 2nd legs bit is Lo's feet probably, but the bit they've said is head really looks like your bladder, I can't see how it could possibly be LO's head! Anyway not much use as I haven't hear of a twin being missed at the 20 week scan, but anything is possible. Do you have anther scan coming up?

I was just going to say are you sure that's not your bladder - it seems like it's in the completely wrong place and angle to be LO's head if they're looking up at the bum/genitals from underneath like that.

but the bit they've said is head really looks like your bladder, I can't see how it could possibly be LO's head!

I don't think the doc/sonographer labelled the picture, I think she/someone else did (correct me if I'm wrong!)

I think the 'second legs' are the feet.. And the 'head' could be your bladder or just an empty blob of fluid, cyst, anything.. If it was a head you'd see the brain inside? I just had a scan today could see brain. I'd ask them to clarify or get a private scan though, it is a funny pic but I reckon highly unlikely they've missed a twin at that stage. Never know though!

I think it is totally impossible that a second baby would be missed at a scan. They would detect the second heartbeat and your uterus just isn't that big that they would miss it.

Very interesting scan pic! You had a scan at 15 weeks where they thought boy? You've certainly had the run around with being told boy/girl and now this funny one! Hope you get another scan soon yo know for sure the gender and to have another peek in there :)

No no I labeled it. When she was going through she said it was babies head but maybe she took the picture in a different view and I wasn't paying attention. I never thought about it being my bladder, that would make way more since and makes me feel better. I am high risk so the last thing I need is twins because I don't know if my body could carry them to a viable gestation. Thats why I was worried. thanks for the reassurance. Yes I go for another scan on Tuesday.

Ok thanks everyone. One of the biggest reasons was cause when I went in at 15 weeks my main doctor said it was a boy. Then at 20 weeks this different doctor thinks girl. So people were thinking maybe there was one of each since the 15 week ultrasound was so obvious. Don't have any pics tho. So I'm gonna assume girl and if it comes out a boy then he will wear pink for a long time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->