Can animals sense pregnancy...

Pixie19

Reaction score
I've just posted this in TTC forums, but seeing as you guys are pregnant thought you might have a better idea...

My dog is being really loving lately, i mean he's a clingy puppy, but hes being extra clingy to me?! When im sat on the laptop he worms his way inbetween me and the laptop so he can lay on my belly/legs so i can cuddle him, then he falls to sleep on my chest....and just a minute ago, he was having a good old sniff of my belly and boobs lmao...
So i was just wondering.....is he sensing a little bubba? Or is he sucking up because he wants a new bone?! LOL

One of my dogs was definitly more clingy the first few weeks. He didn't tend to have to sit on me but where ever i was he was right next to me. He also seemed a bit 'keener' when out walking, ie watching everyone who went past very intently.

xx

I was visiting a friend the other day and her little dog came right over and sat on my tummy with his head on my chest. He's not normally that affectionate, so I think yes, they definately do sense something's up...!

My neighbours dog was all over me the other day, and she's quite old and not normally very interested unless I'm carrying a takeaway!

My cat either can't tell or doesn't care!

One of mine keeps wanting to sit on my lap-not good when you consider she's a 30kg german shepherd! They havent calmed down around me though, they still try to jump up at me when I get in from work.

My cats know something is not right. The older one is incredibly standoffish and won't come near me (wonder if I smell different cos of hormones?!) the younger one is much more affectionate towards me. She wakes me up in the morning wanting love at 5.30am (which is fine if i am getting up for work. . she's like an alarm clock) but not if I'm working late shift or off!!
I definatly think animals are sensitive to it. I think they can smell the Hormone differences.

i think they can definitely sense something...maybe the change...
My cat used to behave very strangely towards my pregnant cousin....and now he behaves in the same way towards me.
He tries to jump on to my belly which he has NEVER done before, not any more clingy than he normally is..... just very suspicious i think.

xx

Well JessiCat is always soppy with me so nothing had changed.

I've just posted this in TTC forums, but seeing as you guys are pregnant thought you might have a better idea...

My dog is being really loving lately, i mean he's a clingy puppy, but hes being extra clingy to me?! When im sat on the laptop he worms his way inbetween me and the laptop so he can lay on my belly/legs so i can cuddle him, then he falls to sleep on my chest....and just a minute ago, he was having a good old sniff of my belly and boobs lmao...
So i was just wondering.....is he sensing a little bubba? Or is he sucking up because he wants a new bone?! LOL

I used to have a Weimeraner bitch and she started acting very oddly and being aggressive towards strangers.

Our house that we lived in was an end terrace and there was a communal walkway at the back of the yard for access to neighbours gardens. One evening one of our neighbours was very drunk and decided to stick his hand over the wall. Our dog bit his hand but it was pitch black and he was drunk and making a right racket!

The next day she tried to attack the front door when the postman was putting post through the letterbox. My husband tried to close the door to the hallway to stop her and she bit his hand. Susequently my husband took her to the vets and had her put down.

I cried and cried for about a week then found out I was pregnant. I realised this is why she had been behaving like she had and she was just guarding her house so nothing got in to hurt 'mummy'. I still feel really bad about it to this day and miss her loads xxxx

Also when I was pregnant with my first child I had to go to the antenal clinic at 42 weeks to check if everything was ok due to being overdue.

The nurse gave me an examination and a sweep and told us to go home and collect my stuff as they were going to induce me.

When we arrived home I was greeted by our dog with her nose up my bum :haha: and then she gave the biggest yelp and started going daft!!

She must have known the baby was on his way as the sweep had started things off x

Our cats keep snuggling upto my tummy in the night... I think they know.

omg my cat now goes anywhere I go and purrs ALL the time. She also tries to sit on my lap and licks my arms/hands. I wonder if she's just jealous :)

i think animals sense it. one of our cats suddenly turned affectionate towards me when i got pregnant. i even remember mentioning it to my OH and asking him if he noticed that Snuttan was very snuggly towards me. two weeks (or one week?) later, i got my BFP.

I've heard they can be, but my cats haven't been any different.

When I was pregnant with my first my cat used to come and sit on my lap a lot more - she was affectionate anyway, but she wouldn't leave me alone! As my tummy got bigger, she seemed to get more angry. I had a look around on Google and apparently cats tend to feel more rejected where as dogs get protective. This pregnancy, some family members dog has been sitting next to me a lot and trying to cuddle up to me, which was unusual as it wasn't my dog and never paid much attention to me before that. So yes, I think they def sense that you're pregnant!

Pixie what breed of dog do you have? the one in your avantar looks gorgeous.

My dogs always want to sit on top of me for a cuddle so nothing has changed there!

My dog tended to sniff at me more, but thats about it, I guess he jumped up at me a little less too.

I've got 2 cats, one of them is clingy and loves cuddles the other doesn't
the one that doesn't has been coming to sit with me alot lately and snuggles into my lap or on my belly. I think she knows something's going on in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->