Can anyone explain my glasses prescription?

loving_life

Pregnant with number 2
Reaction score
When I was pregnant I started to suffer with blurred vision. Had lots of tests for ore eclampsia etc. all fine.
So now my LO is 3 months I got my eyes tested. I need glasses it turned out. I'm long sighted in one eye and short in the other but that's all she told me.

My prescription is:
Left eye =
Sphere is + 0.50
Cylinder is - 0.50
Axis is 180

Right eye =
Sphere is - 0.75

Reading addition is 0.50

Distance acuity for both eyes is 6/5
Near acuity for both is (from what I can tell by her handwriting) NS (or N5??)

I need the glasses for distance, watching tv etc (especially driving) and also reading and computers etc so basically I need to wear them all the time.

But what does any of this really mean???
Apparently I have an eye shaped like a rugby ball??

A rugby ball shaped eye is so common, makes contact lenses expensive though :haha: Your eyesight isn't bad going by the readings at all. What information are you wanting to know?

Basically, what all the sphere, cylinder etc mean.
They aren't too bad no but my eyes do blur and I struggle to read close up or distances. I can see but the glasses will make everything easier especially when my eyes are tired.

Also, I suffer from headaches because of my sight so hopefully the glasses will work and I wont get them anymore.

I don't understand prescriptions but mine are similar to yours I need glasses for everything! if your ordering glasses get them online too there so much cheaper! I have a crappy pair and got a pair of prada glasses that were £260 in the shop + lense cost and I got the same pair online for £125 Inc prescription lenses And anti glare!

Xx

Really?? I feel in love with a Prada pair but they were £249!!
Couldn't afford it :( lol.

What site did you use?? I've ready ordered and paid for my glasses and got a 2nd pair free but I still want them Prada's lol

I know there so expensive in the shops! I've pm'd you the site hun not sure if I was allowed to post it in a thread

Xx

I didn't know you could buy glasses online, which site did you use?

I'm not sure about your perscription though, I barely understand mine either! I've got astygmatisim too, I think it means the outer edges of your vision gets fuzzy.

I remember when the option told me, she was just like "you have astygmatism blah blah blah" nd never explained what it was, my Mum and I spent ages in Waterstones that afternoon trying to find out what it meant in medical dictionarys, lol!

I get a BOGOF in a decnet opticians to get 2 nice pairs of frames then I go online to this site https://www.selectspecs.com/ and get a couple for £6.

That way I can mix and match with what I'm wearing or if I go somewhere they might come off and get broken like a gig it doesn't matter.

As for what your prescription means this is taken for select specs as it explains in in a more succinct way than i can not being able to gesture wildly at you and draw poor science teacher diagrams for you! LOL

The Sphere
The sphere (Sph) specifies the strength of lens required to correct your focus - a plus sphere to correct long-sightedness (hyperopic - difficulty focusing on close objects) and a minus to correct short sightedness (myopia - difficulty focusing on distant objects.)

The sphere is measured in Dioptre’s, your prescription may have the word Plano or Pl or an infinity sign, this means that you are neither long nor short sighted but zero power for the Sphere, however you may have astigmatism – a CYL and AXIS on your prescription. Most values range from 0.00 to +/- 20.00 and go up in steps of 0.25.

The Cylinder
The CYL and AXIS compensate for an astigmatism. So what's an astigmatism? An astigmatism is where the eye is shaped slightly like a rugby ball or referred to as ‘toric’, not a perfect sphere like a football. This just means the eye has difficulty focusing at certain angles.

This box maybe empty or have a plus or a minus value in it. The measurement is the Dioptre. Most values range from +/- 0.25 to +/- 4.00 and will go up in steps of 0.25.

The Axis
The AXIS is only present if there is a value in the CYL box, the AXIS tells us where the astigmatism is on your eye. The measurement is in Degrees. The values range between 0 and 180 and may go up in steps of ½, 1, 5 or 10 degrees, we only show the AXIS to a whole number but if you have a ½ degree on your prescription.

The ADD (Addition)
The Add, short for Reading Addition, is the additional correction required for reading, this can be used to make either reading glasses, bifocal glasses or Varifocal glasses.

This figure is an indication of how much extra power is required ‘on top’ of the distance prescription for near or intermediate glasses. This extra power will ALWAYS be the same for each eye and may only appear once on your prescription but it is understood to be meant for both eyes. The measurement is the Dioptre, and most values range from +0.50 to +3.50 and will go up in steps of 0.25.

The 'addition' is only required if the glasses are going to be used for reading or close work. If your glasses are for distance only, this will not be an issue. Sometimes opticians use the word 'Add' or 'Near' instead of 'addition'. They may only write it once, but it normally applies to both eyes and is almost always the same value for both eyes (e.g. 'Add' +2.50 - should be entered for both eyes).

The thins I will add is that if you have astigmatism...so a rugby ball shaped eye (you have CYL and AXIS on your prescription) it means you need slightly different contact lenses if you choose to go for contacts which are called toric lenses.

They have to be weighted to sit in your eye right to correct your vision.

I didn't know you could buy glasses online, which site did you use?

I'm not sure about your perscription though, I barely understand mine either! I've got astygmatisim too, I think it means the outer edges of your vision gets fuzzy.

I remember when the option told me, she was just like "you have astygmatism blah blah blah" nd never explained what it was, my Mum and I spent ages in Waterstones that afternoon trying to find out what it meant in medical dictionarys, lol!

Sorry I didnt realise you could post te sites on threads! Site I use is www.eyewearbrands.com. I had already seen and tried on the same pair in the shop and got them over £100 cheaper online so it's worth a look

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->