Can breastmilk makes my baby obese?

mylittlebubs

Reaction score
My baby is 2 months old today :happydance:
and he was born at 7.7 lbs and after 1 month he was 11.6 lbs and today he is 15 lbs
I only breastfed him and I eat healthy food, so i dont think it's a problem but just heard OH talked to mil on skype about him and she said if he's gaining weight like this he will be obese and he's been eating too much. he doesnt need this much food, bla bla bla...
i know i shouldn't listen but it upset me:hissy:

His weight gain will likely slow down as he gets a little older. Hannah put on loads of weight the first few months but it has slowed down now that she is a bit more active. I dont think its anything to worry about, as long as he's content I'm sure he'll be fine :)

i wouldnt imagine so because boobie juice is taylor made by your body for your baby :)

Id say you've got some good boob juice if hes gaining that much ..its what they need trust me once he starts to move around he will loose most of it

Breastmilk is the perfect food for babies. I'm sure your son's weight is fine, and as the others said, it slows down when they get a bit older. Anyway, I was really chubby as a baby but have was always on the verge of being underweight as an adult (until I had Aaron :rofl:). :hug:

That sounds great - your baby is obviously doing very well on your breastmilk. I am a breastfeeding support worker and most of the time the women I see wish their babies were putting weight on like yours and everyone keeps telling them to give their babies formula!!!! There is no such thing as an obese baby, all babies gain weight differently and babies are not supposed to be skinny. He will soon lose the baby fat when he becomes more active and starts crawling/walking. Be proud of yourself for doing such a good job and dont listen to people who dont have a clue.

The longer a baby is breastfed, the more PROTECTION they seem to have from adult obesity.

Infants and Children need to have body fat.

They have growth of their physical selves, they have needs of fat for brain development, and many of the vitamins human beings need are fat soluable (they need fat to process into usable chemicals for the body).

And they need the fat stores for running around and getting into mischief.
:rofl:

Here's a study for your review:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16076830?dopt=Abstract

Yyou know your baby best. Although infant/child obesity can lead to diabetes, no matter what you eat.

As long as your doctor doesn't think he is obese then I wouldn't worry too much... There is such thing as babies being too obese though, a little baby fat/chub is one thing, being obese is another.

My baby is 2 months old today :happydance:
and he was born at 7.7 lbs and after 1 month he was 11.6 lbs and today he is 15 lbs
I only breastfed him and I eat healthy food, so i dont think it's a problem but just heard OH talked to mil on skype about him and she said if he's gaining weight like this he will be obese and he's been eating too much. he doesnt need this much food, bla bla bla...
i know i shouldn't listen but it upset me:hissy:

I was always told it was formula milk that makes babies gain more weight! Whatever, I went with what made mine happy and sleep at night.

You're doing a wonderful job...he sounds like he's perfect! Keep up the good work..he will eventually stop gaining so much soon!

Sounds like a healthy boy to me! And as the others have said once he starts moving around he's going to lose a lot of that weight :D

You're doing a wonderful job...he sounds like he's perfect! Keep up the good work..he will eventually stop gaining so much soon!

This week he;s been feeding sometimes twice within an hour and today only slept for less than 2 hours ( was up at 6am and now is 5pm here )
He wants to move about already cheeky monkey )
At night i still feed him every 2 hours and wake up about 4 times

Im breastfeeding too and Jake seems to gain a lot..he was 8lb15oz born and at 6 wks he is 12lb5oz!! The health visitor is really pleased with his gain tho and said im doin a fab job and keep doin what im doin! Dont worry about it hun...i dont think breastmilk can really make bubs obese xx

i don't think breastmilk will make your baby obese. my last got to 20 pounds by six mths but he only weights about 30 now and he will be 3 in dec. When he got more active he stoped gaining as fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->