Can hcg results REALLY be that different from separate labs?

pandi77

Reaction score
I wanted to start a new thread to ask a question about hcg quants from different labs. In my thread last night I explained that while on vacation with family in Chicago my RE called and insisted I get another scan (I'm 5-5 1/2 weeks) because her scan before I left only showed a gestational sac and no yolk. I had an ectopic in June so I got in with my sisters dr and they did a scan and took blood.

Well my scan (two days after my re) showed no yolk still. Worse yet the lab in Chicago came back with an hcg quant that didn't double compared to my results at home two days prior. On Monday the 28th my hcg was 2,017 and on the 30th in Chicago they were 3,000 which isn't doubling. Their doctor said we can't compare the two since different labs can vary so much and so they took more blood yesterday and said to call back Monday for those results which would be more accurate.

Has anyone heard that the labs can vary so much? I am losing hope between no yolk seen and crummy hcg rise. Doesn't feel ectopic like it did in June but now I'm thinking blighted ovum maybe? I don't know but if you have any thoughts please share...thanks.

I have no advice hunny i just didn't want to read and run :hugs: big hugs :hugs: xxxx

I say don't worry until you hear back from your doctor and get those results. You're still very early. So it's normal not to see anything yet. Hopefully next scan you have (I advise not to do it too early--maybe wait until 8 weeks), you will see a lot more.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I was told, too, that labs can vary, but I don't know how anyone would know 'by how much'. I think that unless somebody gets blood drawn by both labs on the same day then there would be no way to know; therefore, it could be a little or a lot. With my second pregnancy I went to my OB for the first 2 draws and then to another OB for the second 2 (that's when I was told that they could vary and that's why I needed a second draw at the second OB's) Sorry, I know that doesn't help. I wish you all the best and hope Monday brings good news. Waiting is awful.

Thanks confuzion and scout. The dr here in Chicago called me back with the results of the second lab they did and said my hcg had an "appropriate" rise. It went from 2,970 to 5,200 in about 42 hours. I thought it was supposed to double but they said the speed it doubles starts to slow down after 2,000?

I would like to wait until week 8 but since they want to rule out an ectopic I have to keep reporting for scans until they find something conclusive (more than a sac) to confirm a uterine pregnancy. It will be a long weekend but hopefully all will be well next week.

They can vary because test machines can be calibrated differently.

Hope that helps.

They can vary because test machines can be calibrated differently.

Hope that helps.

Yes they did try to explain that to me but it didn't make sense. My brain says there should be a mathematical application to apply and convert the results. There probably is but I'd have to talk to a lab tech to have it explained. I will get another draw at home in Florida and then work the numbers later and see what the variable was. Maybe I can update this post so someone else can have a comparative later. It may not be applicable for everyone's situation but sometimes it's just nice to see an example you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->