Can I ask you ladies a Q about sleeping arrangements for the first few weeks?

rainbowzebra2

Reaction score
Hello there! I am in 1st Tri at the mo and was wondering if I could ask your opinions about the baby's sleeping arrangements for those first few weeks after you bring him or her home.

My initial thoughts are that I would like to have bubs in a cot in his/ her own room right from the start. i plan on breast feeding and was thinking that i might have moved in to the nursery for the first few weeks until I get some sort of routine going (we have a sofa bed).

I mentioned this to my S.I.L. yesterday and she tutted and said that I would have to have a moses basket and would absolutely have to have bubs sleeping next to us in our room for the first few weeks.

My worry is that if the baby gets nice and used to me and hubby sleeping beside him / her then when time comes (hopefully sooner rather than later) for them to sleep in their own room there will be dramas.

Am i being a touch hormonal or do you think I have a point? Thanks in advance!

I fully intended to have Brooke in her moses basket from day one but those first few weeks were so tiring we ended up co sleeping. She then went into her moses basket and is now in het cot and we havent really had any trouble at all.

Hi ya. I have a 5 month old and she slept in a moses basket and then went into her cot when she had no room left! She slept perfectly fine when she was moved into the other room in fact loved it as it was something new! All I would say is that our little one was born very small unexpectedly and spent a week in the special care unit and we were so relieved we had invested in a moses basket as the health visitor said she would have found being in a cot in a room on her own quite scary as she was so used to being with others. Also when she has had the odd cold which they seem to get when they are small it was easier to have her by my side where i could just rock her. x

Right from the beginning my LO slept in his carrycot from the travel system (size of a moses basket), then when he was about 1 months old he went to his crib and at 9 months he went to his cot in his own room. (Before he slept in the room with us).
I never did co-sleep (except for the few times when DS wasn't feeling well). I love the idea but I always was petrified of squashing him to death. And when I did co-sleep a few times I never got a good night sleep because I was so worried all the time.

Logan has s;ept in his moses basket next to us since day one but as soon as he sleeps through he will go into his own room !

Hebe started in her moses basket next to us and I brought her into bed to BF her during the night so we had as little distruption as possible. When she out grew her moses at 4 months I bought a crib as I still wanted her next to us until she was at least 6 months old. She stayed there until last sunday when we came back from holidays and I decided it would be as good time as any for her to go next door in her cot. We had no dramas whatsoever - but all babies are different!
Personally I'd say if you move in with the baby to their room they may as well be in yours! They dont really register where they are - it's you being there that's important to them. If there is going to be a problem getting them out of your room, by the same token there could be one getting YOU out of theirs!! :D

Lola first slept in a moses basket next next to my bed but in those first weeks I would often end up putting her to bed with me in the middle of the night.
In fact it still sometimes happened up until 4 1/2 months when she moved int her own room in a cot.

I'm not gonna lie, it was drama to get her used to the cot but it didn't last long and it turned out great.

Lexie was in her Moses basket right next to my bed until she was 2 months old. I then put her cot up and she's been in that since - again at the side of my bed.

I'm only putting her in her own room when she's abit older.

But everybody's different. :)

Tyler was in his moses basket for about 10 weeks then we moved him to his own room in his cot and he sleeps alot better :)

Hi! You can put them in their own room and own crib from the first if you want.

We had our LO (she's now almost 7 months) in her crib in her own room from about the start of the 2nd week. The first few days were in her pram in our room but we moved her as our cats started to get very curious and I found our baby monitor woke me up and being a light sleeper I just check on her anytime I get up for like the bathroom, etc.

So, it really depends on you and what you are comfortable with.

logan nver went in a moses basket we did try him in it but he wouldnt sleep in it, so i tried him in his cot and he was so much better, he slept in our room for first 3 months as we had a 1 bed flat , this was also easier as i was breast feeding at the time,then wen i moved to a 2 bed house wen e was 3 mnths i put him straight in his own room n he slept great( i stopped breastfeeding after 4 weeks), but each baby is differnt. my logan is fussy, i had to buy a new pram wen he was 2 mnths as he hated the travel system cus the seat wasnt big enough for him, and weve recently been throught the same problem with his carseat lol, he fits in it all fine but he is greedy and likes loads of space lol. u might find it easier having bubs in ur room tho then u being in the babys room. xx

Emms went in a moses basket next to me for the first 3 months and then in her moses basket in her cot in her nursery at 3 months with no trouble and then slept through the night for a couple of months.

First of all newbie's just want their mum and feeding so frequently that it is a pain to have to keep getting up and going into another room when you will be exhausted anyway. Also the advice re SIDS is to be with them in a room until 6 months but that is a long time we felt alright at 3 months. When they are so small and vulnerable you just want to keep an eye on them.

Just because they're in another room doesnt mean that you will sleep better when you have a newbie and it wont make any difference to getting them used to being in their own room unless you leave it much later e.g. above 6 months.

One of my friends did put her bab in her own room after a week but that was because the bab slept well, but quite unusual I think.

I bet when your bab is born you wont want to be parted!!!

Phoebe slept in our room for the first 2 weeks in her beanbag as she hated her moses basket but she was waking up every hour or so because we were disturbing her. We decided to try her in her own room when she was 15 days old and we have never looked back, she sleeps 5-6 hours straight now. Admittedly I do get a bit worried but her room is literally 4 steps away from ours so she is very close and we also have a baby monitor. I FF though so she does not need food as often as if I BF her, we have also put her bean bag in the cot for the time being and she loves it.

Having your LO in a moses basket next to you may help him sleep better , comfort and security .also easier or you if you can BF ..

I put my LO in his crib at 6 weeks and he was ok ..i started with naps during the day so he can get used to it and it worked out fine ..

Wow, thanks a lot. Great responses, I guess my SIL may have had a point. Note to self ***must be more open minded*** Thanks everyone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->