Can I be real for a sec?

kmac87

Waiting for our lil girl
Reaction score
I am so completely overwhelmed and hoping that I can get advice from someone that may have been in my shoes.

I just want to scream! My dd is a month old and just spent a week in the nicu last week. Upon her stay, they decided to do her upper GI scan as her pediatrician had ordered one to be done prior to her being admitted to the nicu. As suspected, she has pretty bad esophageal acid reflux. As an ebf mother, this is terrible news. The problem is, she'll feed and about 5 minutes later it all comes up...EVERYWHERE. Immediately after, she's hungry again (obviously). This dries my supply out completely and I have nothing to give her until it replenishes itself. This is a non stop issue that goes on all day and night, so she's crying all the time. It also means she's attached to me all the time. She is already extremely clinging from bfing in general as she is never content with being put down. I literally have to, walk around the house with the kangaroo pouch on and her in it. Her pedi will not put her on meds yet, she wants to see if giving her smaller, more frequent feedings may help. For you and I, this could very well help, but a baby can not and will not be able to understand this concept, and that more food will be given later time. When they're hungry, they want to eat. DS2 had this same problems, but his pedi put him on meds and it was heaven. Can anyone offer some advice or at the least, words of encouragement? Thanks

I have no advice for you but am sending hugs and will pray for a solution and some patience because boy oh boy if I were you I sure would need it! :hugs:

Every baby is different and your mental health and well being are incredibly important! So don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do - whether it be formula OR continuing to exclusively breast feed!!!

Trust your intuition and hang in there!!! This too shall pass! :flower:

Your supply doesn't run out, it's like tears, there's always more being made, you don't run out of tears when you cry all day.

That being said I think you need to push for your daughter to be on meds, mine was on Zantac from 2 weeks old and suddenly she wasn't feeding for 6/7 hours straight, she wasn't screaming in pain all evening, it was a miracle cure for us. I don't know how else you'll stop it because the acid coming up burns so they want to feed to soothe it then they get too full and they're sick and then it starts all over again :(

Oh I feel for you, my DD had reflux and I know how horrible it is.

She started meds at 7 weeks (could've been earlier but no medical professional would listen to me before that, dismissing it as "babies are just sicky" until we had to call an ambulance when she choked on her acid!). It did make a difference but it took a few tweaks to find the best combination of medicine. In her case she had gaviscon, domperidone and omeprazole.

Reflux babies do feed more often because it soothes the pain (even without reflux cluster feeding is hard going so reflux can be absolutely relentless!). Having a dummy makes a difference as the sucking helps neutralise the acid - so if you don't already use a dummy it could be well worth trying. Also sleeping on an incline (a pillow under mattress - not under sheet - or books under crib legs) and sitting upright for 15 mins after feeds.

Gaviscon causes babies to naturally feed little and often too as their tummies feel fuller. It also forms a gel on top of the stomach contents to stop acid/milk coming back up. I would push to try this.

One word of warning - I believe the method of giving gaviscon contributed to the end of bf for us. I was told to give it in a bottle before every breastfeed, adding a tiny bit of milk for taste if she wouldn't take it otherwise. Because she was already struggling with thrush, she quickly learnt the bottle was easier and eventually went on bf strike completely. I wish we'd used a syringe with hindsight.

What a difficult situation! :hugs: can you go to a different doctor that will prescribe the meds she needs?

Thank you all for your advice. I didn't mean dry up
completely, just gets really low until it builds back up. And she had her followup yesterday we're finally on meds, yay! Her weight is low (8.4lbs), which obviously means she's vomiting too much. Mind you, she was 7lbs at birth and she is now nearly 6 weeks. Due to that and her constant fussiness, she put her on the same med ds2 was on and also wants me to supplement with Similac, spit up to get her weight up and the rice starch will help with the reflux. It's been 24 hours and she is doing soooo much better and is much calmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->