Can I claim lost holiday?

topaz

Reaction score
My little girl arrived the day before I was meant to leave work, I had 12 days holiday booked and 4 weeks mat leave before my due date. Of course my mat leave had to start immediately.

Does anyone know if I can get this holiday money back? My idiot manager reckons no, but one of the other girls says yes.....

Thanks....

I s'pose it depends where you work but I know that where I work (NHS) if I have baby early then mat leave starts immediately -quite rightly lol - and any holidays are still mine to get later. They do prefer you take them before mat leave starts but in the circumstances lol not much you could do about it.

Not sure of the legal standing though, check with CAB if your HR isn't being too helpful.

Hope you and LO are doing okay.

xx

My work let me take the holiday I originally had booked at the end of my maternity leave x

My employer is paying them to me at the end of the year xx

Your employer should either pay you for them or allow you to take them. The Maternity law is quite clear about this, also the law has changed in that you should get paid for bank holidays, I was originally owed 12 days and got paid for 15 days as they included the bank holidays (august, xmas, new year etc), the extra money was a godsend.

I would demand to see a copy of your company's maternity policy, legally they should supply this to you in order for you to see what you are entitled to. The law is very clear and fair where holiday is concerned.

Good luck...

Thanks everyone, especially premmiemum123, I will go in and tackle them xx

I will be paid mine at the end of the holiday year - which happens to be december so merry christmas to mee!

if I have baby early then mat leave starts immediately -quite rightly lol -
Nooooo, not "quite rightly" I wish I could have had my leave start when she came home as certainly for the first 4 weeks, I was hardly at the hospital (I couldn't drive) and I could have easily done work from home. Add the holidays I was owed on, and that would have been her home, and then I wouldn't be faced with going back to work when she is only 9 months (corrected age) :dohh::cry:

But I guess our situations are all different so that may not have suited everybody.

any booked holidays should be either repaid to you or re-scheduled, my work let you carry them forward to the next financial year in the case of maternity.

I had to go on mat leave at 30 weeks (Matthew came 3 weeks later) but only recently found out that they cant 'force' you off until 35 weeks, depending on wor policy, always the same if you dont know, you dont get as work sure as hell dont offer advice! x

I would call ur HR office. You will prob just have to provide a sickline. Ive done this b4. Been booked for a weeks holiday then been ill, and got a sickline and got my holidays back. Dont see why it should be any diffrent in ur case, as if u hadnt booked the holiday, u would have started mat leave and got all ur holidays when u returned to work!

I would call ur HR office. You will prob just have to provide a sickline. Ive done this b4. Been booked for a weeks holiday then been ill, and got a sickline and got my holidays back. Dont see why it should be any diffrent in ur case, as if u hadnt booked the holiday, u would have started mat leave and got all ur holidays when u returned to work!

She wont get a "sickline" as her baby was born before she was due to be off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->