Can I dye my hair?

modified

Reaction score
My natural colour is blonde but I dye it about a shade and a half to 2 shades lighter. My roots are getting BAD - can I dye it? :wacko:

Yup! Just make sure you're in a well ventilated area, not a cramped bathroom, or get it done professionally. Also, I have heard some women say that hormones made their hair color differently than they were used to, but I have no experience with that yet!

I said darker in my first post... oops... I meant lighter (changed it now)!! So that obviously includes bleach (I use this https://209.225.27.231/cem/images/products/3d/nice_n_easy-perfect_10-lightest_blonde-3d.png)... still okay? I've read so much on google such as NO, NEVER!!! Wait till 2nd tri, don't let it touch your scalp etc... I can't not let it touch my scalp - it's too short to have any control over doing just the roots because I do it myself and can't afford a pro :nope:

I heard that generally dying hair is ok but if you are bleaching it maybe wait till 2nd tri if there are warnings against it? Just in case :)

I hope so cause I just dyed mine a few days ago. Mind u, I went darker and it's not permanent so there aren't any lightening agents in it.

Everything that I have read says to ask your doctor, but 2nd trimester seems the second most popular response. It is one of the first questions I have when I go in for my first visit.

I've decided to go darker - thinking a nice coppery red - but would like to actually ask someone. My question is - who? I haven't even seen my midwife yet and I can't just call up and speak to my doctor :wacko:

Took this from an NHS website:
"One pregnancy plus is that many women find their hair gets thicker (we won't dwell on it falling out again after the baby's born). It's one aspect of your appearance you still have some control over (unlike your boobs and waistline)

It's fine to colour your hair during pregnancy. Only enormous doses of the chemicals used in semi-permanent and permanent hair dyes would cause your baby harm.

If you're doing it yourself at home, wear gloves and open a window for ventilation. Because your hormones are all over the place, you might be more susceptible to an allergic reaction from a dye, so do a patch test 24 hours before application."

Hmmm!

I'm actually a hair stylist and have even asked my doctor. They say to wait until after your first trimester. But still ask your doctor for your own reassurance. GL!

I've always waited until 2nd Tri. I'm not sure on the reasoning. But I bleach and use semis.

A professional won't do anything different to your hair - and as long as you're using 20vol peroxide you are pretty safe. Stay ventilated. And yes, lightening OR darkening can produce slightly different shades, but most people are fine. My new hair did go a slight different shade while pregnant, but it was nothing obvious.

ETA: Looking at the product you linked, you should be absolutley fine.

What I would however suggest for every pregnant lady, is to do a skin test 48hrs prior. Your hormones can cause a reaction to products you've always been fine with. I would certainly do it with high lifting shades like that one

I think I'm going to go for it. Even if I waited till 3rd tri, I wouldn't feel comfortable bleaching my hair so I'm going darker.. if the NHS website says it's safe, I trust that!

I asked my midwife in my last pregnancy and she said wait til second tri. I dye my hair blonde and have AWFUL roots at the moment but I'm holding off for a couple more weeks and then probably going a darker blonde.

I dyed my hair with a permanent colour when I was 3 weeks pregnant, and it went a completely different colour! :haha: (I didnt know I was pregnant at this stage, and I dye my hair frequently, and never had any trouble)

My sister in law is a hairdresser and she told me to do a test when it went wrong.....and ta-dah!

My M/W told me highlighting hair (foils) are OK, as they are not actually touching your scalp, its the all over ones that you might want to be a bit wary about. xx

Hiya hun!

I do hairdressing on the side and I also advise people too atleast wait until their out of 1st trimester, But that is only advice which they may or may not take! Blonde hair dyes usually contain some form of bleach/lightners so If I was in your position I'd wait just to get into the clear, if you are going to do it make sure you wear gloves and keep all doors and windows open for ventilation. I also dyed my hair at 11+6 and baby is doing great, but I dye my hair black which dosent contain any of the peroxides used in light blondes. <3

I died my hair at around 8 weeks and all seems well here! I am also a dark blonde who goes about 2-3 shades lighter than my natural.

I am a hairdresser as well and have seen pleeeenty of pregnant women coloring their hair and haven't heard of any problems yet.

Of course, do whatever you are comfortable with! I was a bit nervous but I felt about 100x better when my roots were not a hideous mess! They are growing out quite a bit again but I think I'll wait until I get into second trimester to do them again, I can manage with them for a few more weeks :)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->