can I find out if I ovulate using ovulation strips? (PCOS, possibly don't ovulate)

youngone

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

It may seem like a stupid question, but can I find out if I ovulate using those predictor tests? as in, if it gives you a + positive or smiley face does it actually mean you have ovulated, or is it just detecting a change in hormones? therefore not actually detecting ovulation itself?

I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago and I was told it's possible to keep getting your period but not ovulate (anovulation it's called)... I'm just curious to see if this is the case.

I do get my period every 5-6 weeks but I want to know if i'm ovulating for sure. If not, how do I find out?

Any advice would be amazing :flower: I don't usually post

Thanks everyone

I think the only way to tell for sure is by charting your temperature, the opks can tell if you're having a hormone surge but not if it was successful in causing ov. Hope that makes sense

Hi hun, i hav pcos too and my doctor said positive ovulation tests dont mean ovulation.

I have regular cycles, always got positive opk around CD14-15 and always had noticeable ovulation pain, and confirmed ovulation with temping. Still my doctor thinks i dont ovulate:cry:

Only way to find out is thru tests and scans during ovulation.

You are better off charting your temps in conjuction with using OPKs. OPKS do not test for ovulation, they predict ovulation based on an lh surge. You may not have a noticeable lh surge and still ovulate or on the other hand you may have an lh surge and not ovulate at all.

Some women with PCOS have luck with OPKs and some do not. The only way is to dig in and find out, I do suggest you use the cheapie strips to save yourself A LOT of money!

I have pcos. OPK's only tell you that your LH is surging which can happen whether there is ovulation or not. Even temping can get ambiguous with PCOS as you can have rocky temps and never a clear spike. (if you look on my chart and go back to the second cycle you will see just that but it was confirmed I ovulated that month).

what my doc did was do a progesterone test. They started at day 21 (assuming a 28 day cycle with ovulation being at cd 14) but I showed ovulation happening (while on Letrozole) to be at cd 17. so i switched it to 7DPO which is what it is supposed to be. getting the test too soon might not show the proper level of progesterone in your body.

if you get a clear positive on an opk and a temp shift a day or two after it then ovulation is likely and get it confirmed by getting the progesterone test done 7 days past suspected day of ovulation.

As for type of opk: I have used both clear blue digital (with smiley) and dollar store. I totally prefer forking out the money for the smiley. there is no wondering if the line is dark enough. But not everyone has that kind of money every month (my mom wants to be a grandma so much she is paying for them) and cheapie ones from the internet or dollar store do work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->