Can I freeze formula?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
Can I make it up ahead of time and freeze it? I'm supplementing so I won't go through the whole can in 2 weeks.

I personally wouldn't. Formula is a tricky thing and is prone to bacterial growth and freezing doesn't necessarily kill certain bacteria/endotoxins, so I wouldn't trust doing it without guidance from a manufacturer who has studied it. Plus, freezing will certainly degrade certain nutrients, same as in breast milk, so it is best to make fresh. I'd probably be inclined to stretch the use by date a bit in the sense of using it past 2 weeks after opening, rather than trying to prepare and freeze it. As a scientist with food safety training, that certainly sounds safer to me. Also, as my daughter was getting older and not using much formula anymore, I definitely kept using the same formula for 3 or even 4 weeks after opening, just made sure to keep it stored somewhere airtight, dry and cool, and made it with hot water to kill any nasties.

no, milk is only good in the fridge for a few hours. If you dont use it within one 8-10 hour day, throw it away.

I've been using the readimade formula (we switched since my original post) and the big bottles of it say use with 48 hours. That's OK right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->