Can i insist on scan to confirm baby position? (UK)

Iren_iren

Reaction score
Basically my baby always been transverse and now at 33 weeks is somewhere similar position, but definitely not head down
My midwife casually mentioned earlier that they might do scan at 36 weeks to confirm, but nothing since
I am seeing her this Sunday at 34 weeks, can i insist on scan or it depends on hospital?
I dont want to go into labour and then be cut in the end anyway.

Thanks

A presentation scan wouldn't usually be offered/performed until 36 weeks wherever you are, because baby's can still move before that. I think you'd be lucky to get one before that, and if midwife feels baby has ended up head-down at 36 weeks then you may not get one at all :-(

Agree with above, I am 37 weeks and only this week have been asked to attend a presentation scan (tomorrow) as midwife is not 100% sure where baby is lying. I asked what would happen in the meantime if I go into labour and they said I would need to have an emergency section.

I had one at 38 weeks in my last pregnancy. She was transverse for ages and ages (on my notes as this even just a week prior) but had turned head down by the scan.

Thank you ladies!
After 34 weeks app ill be seeing my midwife every 2 weeks, so then by 36 or 38 week i should know :)
Just beeing impatient and worrying as dont know which way it all go :)

I would think she'll refer you for a scan at the 36 week appt if she's not sure, and you'll have it at some point that week - but if she thinks baby has finally ended up head-down by then, she wont. Fingers crossed..! :)

I would think she'll refer you for a scan at the 36 week appt if she's not sure, and you'll have it at some point that week - but if she thinks baby has finally ended up head-down by then, she wont. Fingers crossed..! :)

I had a friend who labored with midwife for 18 hours and then was referred to obstetrician as labor didn't progress. Turned out baby was transverse & she got c-section as baby was getting into trouble. Ask midwife if she is absolutely sure. I know this was one of those stories, but it happens. Babies can move if not nicely locked in! X

I got a great tip from a very experienced midwife when my baby was transverse which might help you out easily too, she said to wear a belly band and baby would soon move into a more comfy position rather than lying sideways and you wouldn't believe it but baby moved head down within 24 hrs! Google belly binding for an alternative way to do it. I just used a stretchy belly band that was snug but not super tight. I do wear it except for showering morning and night as I have a large separation so it is my pretend abs holding baby in now lol GL

I had a friend who labored with midwife for 18 hours and then was referred to obstetrician as labor didn't progress. Turned out baby was transverse & she got c-section as baby was getting into trouble. Ask midwife if she is absolutely sure. I know this was one of those stories, but it happens. Babies can move if not nicely locked in! X

That is my worst nughtmare go into full blown labor and then C-section
I so dont want it and at the moment i am pretty sure baby is not head down, so if it will stay the same past 36 weeks and i wont be sent for a scan, i'll tell them that i will take them to the court in case if any problems :)

Also my first labor was natural and 17h in total, so this one might be less..

Id second others. If she isn't confident at 36 she will probably send you for a scan. If you're not convinced that's ok then you can push for a scan but I'd imagine it'll be booked for you if there's a problem.

I got a great tip from a very experienced midwife when my baby was transverse which might help you out easily too, she said to wear a belly band and baby would soon move into a more comfy position rather than lying sideways and you wouldn't believe it but baby moved head down within 24 hrs! Google belly binding for an alternative way to do it. I just used a stretchy belly band that was snug but not super tight. I do wear it except for showering morning and night as I have a large separation so it is my pretend abs holding baby in now lol GL

Thank for the tip! I'll try it! I actually have one but never wore it as found uncomfortable

If the MW is sure baby has moved head down but you're not convinced at the 36 week appt, you could always book a private scan.
My baby was breech at 34 weeks but moved head down some time before my 36 week appointment. I've now had two midwives say they are sure baby is head down so I'm trusting them, but I did say if I thought they seemed even a little uncertain I'd book a private scan xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->