Can i join you?

PrincessKay

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Its a bit early i know! Ive always wanted a homebirth and everytime i pictured giving birth it was at home. I spoke to my midwife last week to book my first appointment and she asked which hospital i would like to have my baby in, so i told her i wanted a homebirth and she said 'Yes thats absolutley fine, as long as you have a normal pregnancy and no complications i would be more than happy to deliver your baby at home'

I'm so happy, i dont know why but for some reason i was expecting her to make an excuse up as to why i couldnt.

Any advice for a first timer? Do you think i will face objections later on?

Thanks x

Hiya....
I'm a first time home birther too and feel exactly the same way; as if it's too good to be true :)
But I'm tentatively making all my plans: booked my birthing spa, starting hypnobirthing classes next week, told all the family (big step!)....
I'm so excited :) I'm 24 weeks and have already planned the "mass house cleaning" before the midwife comes lol...
Nice to meet another newbie to it all :)
Kirsty
:)

pmsl - get me!! Birthing spa!!?? Where did that come from??? I meant birthing pool!!!

Hi there!

I'm also a first timer with homebirth and pregnancy. :) As long as you are reasonably healthy and there aren't any serious complications there is no reason why you can't do a homebirth. I would recommend you read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Midwifery. It's full of excellent information about the natural birthing process. Also it is full of positive birth stories which I try to surround myself with. Good luck! :)

hello ladies i too am a newbie to pregnancy and home/water birth but very excited about it all x

First time home birther of twins. I am excited and a lil scared of the unknown. wish I had more supportive people around me.

How exciting that there are a few of us first timers!! We can all keep each other company!

First time home birther of twins. I am excited and a lil scared of the unknown. wish I had more supportive people around me.

Oh hun, thats awful, its your decision. Why arent they being supportive? Massive :hugs:

xx

Hi everyone,
Im also a first timer,pregnancy and homebirth

:dust:

hi ladies, another 1st timer to pregnancy and homebirth am so escited my mw said she was happy for me to have my baby at home, i was expecting alot of opposition

First timer here as well and first pregnancy. Will be watching this thread with interest. :thumbup:

this isn't my first birth, but will be my first homebirth! Very excited about it!

im the same first pregnancy and fingers crossed home birth
just wish people would stop filling my head with their own fears of home birth!
id like to follow in my grandmas foot steps and have this and any other baby at home! :)
going to start making my plans when i return to england

ps my midwife was very excited and said i was the only one that had said home birth in months! (at my booking appointment)

Hello first time homebirth hopefulls! Wow I was so happy to read this post, I was also a first time homebirther when I had my first baby in March this year. I can tell you everything went wonderfully! So yes, I do have advice for first time homebirthers! ...

READ:
Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth - yes you CAN do it!!
HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan - AND do the practice exersizes regularly from about 30 or 35 weeks.
Spinningbabies at www.spinningbabies.com

DO:
Perenium massage from about 36 weeks
Follow the advice given on spinningbabies website, especially spending time on hands and knees during last several weeks, and NO reclining from about 35 weeks!
Affirmations: positive mental affirmations that you repeat to yourself every day, for example: there is a wide open space for my baby to descend, there is nothing in the way
The hynobirthing relaxation exersizes from the book
Walking every day, yes every day! between 1/2 hr and 1 hour if you can

DON'T:
Get in the pool too early (if you have a water birth). The water is so relaxing and soothing that it actually slows down your labour, so until your labour is "full steam ahead" and nothing stopping it, don't get in! Lots of MWs say 5cms is enough, but in my opinion you should wait till at least 7 or even 8cm. I have read and heard a lot of homebirth stories that ended up as hospital transfers because of a stalled labour after getting in the pool too early.

OTHER TIPS:
- Ask only to hear positive birth stories! if someone begins to tell you a birth horrow story (as people are so inclined to do for some awful reason!) tell them politely you dont want to hear it, and you are looking only to hear positive birth stories.
- Be wary of whom you tell! You will get a lot of opposition but I tell you those people are just uneducated!! Ask them to go out and do the research you have done (I bet most of you have spent HOURS researching homebirth) and then come back and talk to you about it!!
- Fetal positioning is HUGE in having an uncomplicated birth, so read and follow spinningbabies, I know its hard not to recline for 8 weeks, but it is only 8 weeks and it is SO important. Read the statistics on the biggest contributor to C-Sections: the couch!!

My doula also recommended talking to my baby to let them know how you want them to come down (i.e. baby when it's time to come out, you need to face mama's back, with your head down and your chin tucked in so that the dome of your head comes first etc etc). This might sound funny but I did it and I think my baby listened! And other things like "we are going to be fine, you and me will do it together" etc etc.

You absolutely CAN have a wonderful and positive homebirth, but I do recommend that you PREPARE for your birth! (as above and any other tips and advice you get from other people who have done it).

I recommend a doula if you can afford one. And I watched comedy (Michael MacIntyre) between contractions early on and that really helped!

Sorry long, but I hope you all get the homebirths you want and I'll be checking back here to see your news!!

xoxo
Pea

home and waterbirthed my sweet baby girl March 2011

and PS if you want to read my birth story it's here (sorry its also long!) https://www.babyandbump.com/home-na...h-story-my-little-peanut-born-28th-march.html

Thanks for that hun, i will read through and follow your advice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"