Can I labour in a hot tub?

aliss

Reaction score
We have an outdoor hot tub (so I can control the temperature)... maybe a dumb Q but can I labour in my hot tub? I want a home birth but the only temptation for the birthing centre was the birthing pool. I don't want to be delivering IN the water just for safety/practical reasons but would love to spend up to the last moment in there.

Can you turn the temperature down? I know our hot tub was set to like 106 degrees, and I think that would be way too hot for comfort (and maybe safety?). But if you could turn it down to more of a bathwater temperature, like 100 that would probably be better.

Can you turn the temperature down? I know our hot tub was set to like 106 degrees, and I think that would be way too hot for comfort (and maybe safety?). But if you could turn it down to more of a bathwater temperature, like 100 that would probably be better.

Yes I can turn it down to about 85-90 I think

I dont know how it converts but I know it needs to be 36c or 37c which is body temperature.

The midwives wouldn't let me have my pool hotter than 37 degrees celcius - I kept on trying to let me have it at 40 haha like a bath! I think it's for safety reasons and you can get very hot in labour x

body temp is 98.7 F.

i was wondering the same thing actually... we have a large indoor hot tub with jets and i wasn't sure if i could use it. i just think the jets would be heaven!

body temp is 98.7 F.

i was wondering the same thing actually... we have a large indoor hot tub with jets and i wasn't sure if i could use it. i just think the jets would be heaven!

Geez I wish I lived in CA then, I'd probably do the whole thing outside! Mine's due in October so it might be a bit chilly but I don't care, LOL You should totally use the tub + jets!!! Mine's an older model but the jets.. ahh!! :)

Jets would feel amazing!
The other thing I would worry about a hot tub would be that they can be kinda dirty, or the chemicals used in them (like bromine or chlorine or whatever they use now) wouldn't be a great idea. But if it is your own tub you could make sure its emptied and cleaned with fresh water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->