Can i Request a 6 week scan?

MoominJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I won't get to see my gp till I'm 7 weeks but I'm still getting an achey tummy n I can't help but worry! It moves from right to left but it's more often slightly more in my right side ( about an inch to the right of my belly button if that, but lower down) n it's only dull but it drives me mad lol

Can I request to have a scan?

Go to a&e they will refer you to epads and they can arrange a scan. Doctors won't give you a scan till you've seen a midwife at 9+ weeks

Honestly a scan before 7 weeks will most probably not settle any nerves, there just won't be much too see!
I've had a whole manner of aches and pains in my first tri with all three pregnancies and it was just implantation and stretching pains.
If you are concerned then as above, you would need to go through a&e but i still very much doubt they will scan you unless you have a bleed. If they scanned every woman who was worried about aches they'd be there all day unfortunately.
Try to relax i do understand the nerves!
xx

depends where you are tbh.

But i know UK you just got to wait im afraid. These aches and pains will be implantation, uterus stretching etc. so its all good!

You only rarely get scans if your in crippling pain and bleeding heavily which can indicate MC.

It sucks having to wait. I found out on 24th Sept. Dont see midwife until 11th Nov. x

Typically you will only get a scan that early if you have had previous complications or losses. My doc won't see anyone until they are 8-12 weeks unless there have been issues. It never hurts to ask though.

I am from the Uk and now live in Houston Texas. Luckily I will be routinely scanned at my first appointment which is Friday, I will be around 6 weeks. It will be a transvaginal scan. It will prob cost around 1500/2000 dollars for the 15 minute visit but healthcare benefits will cover that. I may get a 20 dollar bill for admin fee's or something.

I had a miscarrage in the UK before I came out here and in order to get the scan I had to go to A and E, I was 11 weeks and it was 1 week before my hospital appointment was due. So I had a lovely 4 hour wait.

I had a miscarrage in the US in March, I got my 6 week scan and everything looked fine, I didnt miscarry until about week 10 and found out at week 12 (my second scan).

I am looking forward to my scan on Friday to rule out Blighted ovum, which is what my first miscarrage was. I am going to get scanned again a few weeks later for further piece of mind. This is one of the things I love over here however you really do pay for it. If you get really sick.. put it this way, you can't afford to be.

My last miscarrage in the US cost around 6k in dollars, I prob had an out of pocket expense of about 500 dollars.

So you can see why the UK are so tight with the scans, time is money, although prices are rediculously inflated due to insurance in the US. It is just a shame it is at the expense of our mental health since we are the ones who have to constantly worry until we see the 12 week scan :( xx

I got a scan in uk with first pregnancy due to pain in bottom right of my stomach at about 7 weeks. Doc wanted to rule out ectopic but turned out to be a grumbling appendix :)

You can as I've got mine today but I've had previous miscarriages and I had some bleeding so they are doing it early x

If you're in the UK it's unlikely. Aches and pains are normal. Early Pregnancy services are extremely streched as it is so thats why ours here won't do anything unless you're bleeding.

I'm getting a scan at 5+6 as I've had spotting in this pregnancy and a MMC last pregnancy.

I've had bleeding in all 4 pregnancy and twice I've had bleeding on Wed/Thurs and had to wait over the weekend for a scan. A wait of 4 days for spotting and bleeding without knowing if baby is ok is a lifetime!!

Aches and pains are normal in early pregnancy, especially a first pregnancy. Everyone worries in early pregnancy, you can bet that 99.9% of women in the first trimester are worried about this or that just like you are. If you want peace of mind, just like everyone else, then you either wait or pay for a private scan.

I have private medical care, could I get an early scan on that?

The pains are a lot less today, I've woken up with a massive smile on my face, hopefully they will go away now I'm 5 weeks. There's still a niggle but nowhere near the full on period like pains I was getting before!

Why do they make u wait till 12 weeks for a scan, I could possibly manage till 8 weeks but by that point I'll be tearing my hair out wanting to know everything is alright! :dohh:

Not sure if a private scan can be done on medical care for no real reason but you can book a private scan for about £70 to put your mind at rest.
I had one at 17 weeks in first pregnancy as was too impatient to find out gender lol

I have private medical care, could I get an early scan on that?

The pains are a lot less today, I've woken up with a massive smile on my face, hopefully they will go away now I'm 5 weeks. There's still a niggle but nowhere near the full on period like pains I was getting before!

Why do they make u wait till 12 weeks for a scan, I could possibly manage till 8 weeks but by that point I'll be tearing my hair out wanting to know everything is alright! :dohh:

12 weeks is the most accurate time to do a dating scan. Before and after there are larger margins of error. Its also means they can do the NT testing at the same time. They have limited money so it needs to be used as efficiently as possible. The outcome of the pregnancy cannot be changed by scanning any earlier.

As far as private health care schemes go it will depend entirely on the scheme. Most of the ones I've seen just pay out a lump sum when baby is born.

Might be a blonde question but what does NT stand for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->