Can I request a sweep to be done at my 39+2 apt

Solitaire

Reaction score
Hi ladies.
Got my routine midwife apt tomorrow and I'll be 39+2.
I'm just wondering if I can request a sweep to be done?, or do they only do it after 40 weeks?

Thanks

If you are in the UK then only after 40 weeks (and they are very strict about it). I have my MW appt tomorrow at 39+6 and they refuse to do it coz I'm still a day off 40 weeks so have to wait til next week. They like everything to happen as naturally as possible so leave it as long as they can before intervening in any way.

I had one at 39 + 5 weeks (was offered) as baby is big and have a too much fluid. However cervix just wasn't ready so didn't work.

You can ask but I think a lot of mw will refuse. My nhs pack says its offered from 40+7. I had one with my son at 39+1 as I was being induced at 40 for medical reasons. She was able to do it which was surprising at that stage but it didn't do anything.

In the UK it's after 40 weeks unless there is a medical reason to do it earlier.

I'm in the uk and asked my midwife this at my last app... She said she would give me a sweep if my app landed and 39+ 1 etc ... As she didn't see any harm in it, you will either be favourable or not and baby is fully cooked.

So ask your midwife and she will let you know if she's willing to or not

I think NICE guidelines are 41 weeks. Although I've seen people in the UK have them before this for no medical reason x

I had a second tri miscarriage in my last pregnancy and a really ruff pregnancy this time around and when I asked (as i constanly worry) if I could have one I was told only if there was a medical reason to do so as its prefered and better for baby to let things start naturally if possible. I just want him here safe and sound.

Im in the US and had one at 38+4 with DD and it worked :) she was very healthy and 8 lbs 5 oz

Had one done at 39 week appt with DD and didn't work. She was a week late at 41 +1. I'm in the US though.

I am 40+1 and have my midwife today. I am very uncomfortable now and will be asking for a sweep. I really hope she agrees to do it. But my midwife is quite unpredictable with her mood x

I was informed by my midwife last week that policy has now changed and they are now allowed to do sweeps at 38 weeks! I don't know whether this is a uk-wide policy change or just my local health authority though. Also, from what other people have said, I don't think this is something they are over-publicising!!! I guess they don't want everyone coming in demanding a sweep at 38 weeks for no reason, lol. I was induced at two weeks over in my last pregnancy because baby was late... And I am also suffering from bad spd which makes induction a nightmare for me... So I guess she was being kind telling me... Knowing it really could help me... I don't think most people are being told the same thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->