Can I start breastfeeding 2 days after birth?

Sb86

Reaction score
Hello! I had my baby two days ago and had intended on trying out breastfeeding to see how it went.

Unfortunately, due to a difficult labour I wasn't able to feed her as soon as she was born or whilst I was in hospital but now we are home I was wanting to still give it a go.
Obviously she's been taking bottles but the midwife did say I could try breastfeeding and do a bit of both in case I don't produce enough.

Has anyone got any experience in this, starting breastfeeding a few days after?
Maybe I could massage my boobs to encourage the milk?

Any advice would be great :)
Thank you x

Hello! I had my baby two days ago and had intended on trying out breastfeeding to see how it went.

Unfortunately, due to a difficult labour I wasn't able to feed her as soon as she was born or whilst I was in hospital but now we are home I was wanting to still give it a go.
Obviously she's been taking bottles but the midwife did say I could try breastfeeding and do a bit of both in case I don't produce enough.

Has anyone got any experience in this, starting breastfeeding a few days after?
Maybe I could massage my boobs to encourage the milk?

Any advice would be great :)
Thank you x

At a few days postpartum, milk production is entirely hormone lead, it doesn't matter how much or how little the baby has sucked, your milk will come in anyway. So yes you can definately do this!

I'm a bit confused about your midwife saying you can do a bit of both if you don't produce enough. Why would you not produce enough? There are some medical conditions that cause this but they are not common and the more your baby feeds (after this initial stage where it is all hormones) the more milk you will produce. The more bottle feeds you do the less you will produce. Not saying you can't do both, but it is odd for your midwife to suggest you might have to, as if it is normal not to produce enough. It is very normal to THINK you are not producing enough, but that is a whole different thing....

Yes definitely. Your milk is still coming in and it's not too late at all. Just feed your baby as often as she wants and this should help to bring in a good supply. Sometimes it can feel like they're feeding all the time but their tummies are only tiny at first so they feed very often. Good luck :)

yes you definitely can. YOur milk doesnt totally drop until around that time anyways.

Thank you for your replies. I'm not sure why my midwife said I'd probably have to do both bottle and breast. To be honest, she was a bit of a whirlwind and left me feeling a bit like "what just happened?" Haha!

I fed my baby with breast through last night when she needed settling and it worked. Must be doing something right!

Yey! google Kellymom website for excellent info on what to expect, what is normal etc.

Well done! An amazing start! Keep on going. :) Some people in your situation fund a"nursing vacation " helps. Take yourself to bed with your LO and feed feed feed! Lots of rest and skin to skin contact. Get your OH to look after you while you're both getting the hang of things. Learning to feed lying down may be helpful.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->