Can i still

vicwick

Expecting baba #2
Reaction score
have a home birth if i go over 40 weeks and refuse an induction? I don't want to be induced and was wondering if i am over 40 weeks will they still allow me to have bubs at home or would they ask me to go into hospital?

Hi, basically if you refuse induction after 40-41 weeks because from this stage the risk of your baby developing health problems increases. An induction because you are overdue does not increase the chance of you needing a caesarean section.

If you choose not to be induced at this stage then from 42 weeks you should be offered:

- Twice weekly checks of your baby's heartbeat using a piece of equipment called an electronic fetal heart rate monitor.

- A single ultrasound test to check the depth of amniotic fluid (or "waters") surrounding your baby.

But, you can be induced at birth due to Membrane sweeping. more straight to the point Providing the baby is OK and not in distress, and you are dilating and having regular contractions - then the answer is yes, you can have a home birth, Once you reach 2 weeks over - 42 weeks - you should be offered monitoring either daily or every other day. This usually involves going into hosp to have a CTG done to check baby is ok and BP and urine for yourself etc to check you are both still well. Bear in mind tho that after 14 days over the placenta can start to deteriorate, this is why it is so important to have the monitoring done.

- Student Nurse, 2nd Year & Pregnant.

Hi, basically if you refuse induction after 40-41 weeks because from this stage the risk of your baby developing health problems increases. An induction because you are overdue does not increase the chance of you needing a caesarean section.

If you choose not to be induced at this stage then from 42 weeks you should be offered:

- Twice weekly checks of your baby's heartbeat using a piece of equipment called an electronic fetal heart rate monitor.

- A single ultrasound test to check the depth of amniotic fluid (or "waters") surrounding your baby.

But, you can be induced at birth due to Membrane sweeping. more straight to the point Providing the baby is OK and not in distress, and you are dilating and having regular contractions - then the answer is yes, you can have a home birth, Once you reach 2 weeks over - 42 weeks - you should be offered monitoring either daily or every other day. This usually involves going into hosp to have a CTG done to check baby is ok and BP and urine for yourself etc to check you are both still well. Bear in mind tho that after 14 days over the placenta can start to deteriorate, this is why it is so important to have the monitoring done.

- Student Nurse, 2nd Year & Pregnant.

Brill thanks so much for your reply :flower:

I'm hoping i won't go over but thought i should be prepared just in case

Just always remember you have the right to give birth wherever you want. They can't make you stay in the hospital. Just be sure when the time comes that they give you any medical reason other than 'you're late' that would mean you need to be in the hospital on a drip.

It is true that after so much time the placenta can stop performing properly, but remember your EDD is just that, an estimate. Just because you're two weeks over by their EDD doesn't mean that bubs is ready to come out.

Stay strong and don't let them push you into anything you don't want. They can not MAKE you do anything.

Thanks Jenniflower, just preparing myself for a battle, my midwives have been ok about the home birth, the consultants on the other habnd have been awful and trying to guilt me into goin to hospital, thankfully i don't have to see them again.

Just preparing for the midwives response when i say i do not want to be induced (if it comes to that) I had an awful time with my 1st sons labour and delivery and want to avoid any sort of repeat of that where possible. I was given oxytocin to speed things up after not progressing from 6cm's (cos they lay me down as soon as i arrived in hospital to monitor his HB and wouldn't let me up) and i ended up being prepped for a c section and resulted as vontouse delivery. I am just glad i have been able to talk to so many lovely people who support home and natural birth which has given me the confidence to stand up for what i want

There's always room for negotiation - as Jenniflower said - they cant 'make' you do anything and you can go to the head of MWery to negotiate your home birth even post dates x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->