Can I TTC and take antidepressants?

NikiJJones

Mummy to a magical boy
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any anti-depressants which are safe to take while TTC? I know I could just ask my doctor this, but thought I'd try to see if any of you know, before I make an appointment.
I was on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety tablets and sleeping tablets for about 10 years, but managed to get off them all before starting TTC, and was doing fine, but now I'm on my 18th cycle of TTC and had a MC in May, and am feeling so down again half of the time and anxious the rest of the time, and feel like I need some medical help again.
I just don't want to take anything which would be harmful for a baby if I did manage to get PG again.

I'm not sure hun, i'm in the process of bein prescribed anti-depressants.. But yano what NHS doctors are like, don't like givin away anythin. This will apply to me soon.. I'd ask the doc if i were you! x

Hiya

I found out I was pregnant with my last two sons after 6wks and 8wks of taking anti-d's (both unplanned, started to wonder if it was a side effect of the tablets ;o)!). My GP advised me to wean off them (10mg escitalopram) as the reserach hadn't been done as to effects on unborn babies due to it being a fairly new drug. He did say that if I found myself struggling then there were anti-d's that were safe to take whilst pregnant. I managed to muddle through though, think the hormone levels helped (my depression was PND). This time I am on them again but have cut my dose down to 10mg every other day which I will then stop once I manage to conceive, fingers crossed. If I find myself struggling I will have to rethink and maybe go back to the docs.

Oh, and neither of my sons appear to have been affected by me taking them.

Good luck.

Gemma x

Hi Niki

I don't have a definite answer to your question but I was on a very mild antidepressent for a few years (Citalopram 10mg) and I went to the doctors before I started TTC and they wanted me to come off them first as there hasn't been any research done into the effects of citalopram through pregnancy so I would say they are a definite know but there may be some other type of anti-depressant which may can help. I would say def make an appt with your GP. There must be something available. I suffer from anxiety too and have started taking Kalms whenever I feel like I have an attack coming on. Have you thought about having some form of counselling instead of going back on the pills - The only reason I ask is that I found it quite difficult coming off the tablets and I'm guessing you didn't find it all that easy so rather than going through all that again, it might be worth considering alternatives. I'm sorry I can't help anymore but hopefully you will see the doctor and they will have some good news for you.

:hug:

i think they would prefer you not to take them but there are alot of women out there who do take them and still have a healthy pregnancy

i was on anti depressants for a while but was told and researched to find out they're pretty dangerous in pregnancy and a baby can be born with instant withdrawal amoungst other problems. I'd strongly recommend speaking to your dr as there maybe other routes of theapy that can help to avoid using them.
I wish you all the luck in the world and remember we're always here to share problems with I know how much the girls have helped me deal with so many issues i've had!

I am currently taking 10mg Citalopram and my doctor said these are safe to take during pregnancy but if you get pregnant you can try to reduce the dose if you wish.

PM me if you want to know anything else hunni :hugs: xx

For sure no to sleeping pills. Big no no. As far as antidepressants. You can find stuff on the internet that tells you either way. Alot of literature telling you to stay away from them. Alot of literature telling you that its okay. I do think you need to talk to your doctor. It really depends on what type you are on, the dose, and your doctor. Listen to your doctor for sure.

I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any anti-depressants which are safe to take while TTC? I know I could just ask my doctor this, but thought I'd try to see if any of you know, before I make an appointment.
I was on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety tablets and sleeping tablets for about 10 years, but managed to get off them all before starting TTC, and was doing fine, but now I'm on my 18th cycle of TTC and had a MC in May, and am feeling so down again half of the time and anxious the rest of the time, and feel like I need some medical help again.
I just don't want to take anything which would be harmful for a baby if I did manage to get PG again.

Oh hun. :hug: I want to reach through this screen and give you a great big :hugs:. Ask your doctor about citalopram like Nicky and jo 2k have suggested. Might be okay for you?

Have you been using your Bach Rescue Remedy still? Sending you tons of love.

It depends on the anti-depressant. I'm on Prozac and both my doctor's told me it was safe to take while TTC and during pregnancy. Others like Zoloft and Paxil are definitely not ok to take while TTC and while pregnant. Definitely talk to your doctor's hun. You can also do a google search to see what Category Risk the med you are taking is. xx

I just saw a show the other day where a pysch and a FP/OBGYN were basically duking it out over this very question. At the end of it, it was concluded that no long term effects have been sufficiently studied to say that ANY of them are or aren't safe so it's best to stay away from them if possible... HOWEVER, a sick mommy (depending on her personal situation, of course) can be far more unsafe than a mommy who is taking ADs so my advice would be to talk it over with your docs and see if you can go without (or a super low dosage) and then ensure that dh, docs and you monitor yourself closely to make sure you're doing just fine. There are many way to deal with depression... My ex did cognitive behavioural therapy and it helped him immensely

I suffered depression while pregnant with my first child and I was on the following throughout my pregnancy: Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac. But definitely ask your doctor, they know your body better than we do! :hug:

I had anti depressants late in my pregnancy with my ds. My GP told they prefer not to put/have mums who are under 12 wks pregnant on anti depressants as this is the time when the baby is doing most of its main development. As said above there are no 100% safe drugs to take, they are not aware of how risky they are or aren't as no studies have been done.

I was on sertraline from about 30 weeks pregnant. That one was chosen as i wanted to bf and its classed as one of the 'safer' ones to take whilst bf so my GP thought it was better to put me on that straight away rather than have to swap them once baby came along.

You need to discuss it with your GP as everyones situation is different and what may have been good for one person will not neccessarily be good for others x

Hi

I was taking Citalopram and spoke to my GP about this when i decided to start ttc. She advised me to stop Citalopram and prescribed me Sertraline instead. The simple reason being that there has apparently been more research into Sertraline than Citalopram.

Sending you hugs
xx

Thanks ladies for all this really helpful advice. Citalopram is the one I used to be on, and it suited me really well, so I may go and talk to my GP about it. I've just heard this morning that I have my first appoinment with the practice counsellor in a week, so may hold off till after that. I can't believe how long it has taken for them to sort that out, but at least I've got that far.
Thanks for all your help and support.

I have been on Citalopram (sometimes called Celexa) for a year now and conceived quickly. It seems to have some effect on male reproductive cells, but very few for female.
It's also very good for depression and doesn't make you drowsy or anything. Highly recommended. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->